What if Trump were running as a Democrat during the primaries?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Sep 25, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Just a strange thought, since he used to consider himself a Democrat in the past (it's been 3 or 4 years now).

What caused him to defect over to the GOP in the first place, proving once and for all people can change their minds on issues legitimately as opposed to the flip-flops people claim politicians engage in out of raw convenience? (Though depending on how things are worded, that can cause confusion too...)

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

He would have clinched the DNC nomination. Clinton would have been neutralized completely.

3. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

please give me the shrooms you're on.

if you're asking based on the way he's acted this past year, he'd probably get laughed off stage because hes insulted every non-white minority and without them democrats wouldn't win anything

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

He became a republican because he knew the base would be stupid enough to fall for his lies. Pretend to be a Christian who is against abortion and he's in.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Trump on the DNC side would have ran to the left of the Hillary, and been more of a beast when attacking the GOP, globalism, corporatism, taxing the rich, UHC and money in politics.

Bernie wouldn't have been able to get a drop of press in the face of Trump's all-consuming gravitas. None of the wall talk would have been on the agenda. Everyone hate's Clinton's guts, and Trump has far more money than Bernie and Clinton, and has massive brand recognition and as a Democrat would put NYC/NJ/CT in play in a way Bernie couldn't even dream about.

Trump clinches the DNC nomination handily.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think Trump's birtherism puts him in the Republican (or at least out of the Democratic) camp quite a bit further back than that.

To answer the question: If Donald Trump had remained a Democrat and was running as the Democratic Candidate in the 2016 election, I would suck up my disappointment, and throw my support behind the Republican nominee.

I might very well disagree with people like Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio on more than a few of their policy positions. But I wouldn't feel that their very existence at the highest reaches of the US Government posed a serious threat to the security of not just the United States, but humanity itself. I might disagree with Cruz' positions on abortion or taxes, but I wouldn't worry that he would turn a blind eye to aggression by Putin in Ukraine. I wouldn't worry that Marco Rubio would get into a Twitter fight with some random foreign leader over a perceived slight.

I wouldn't worry that a President Cruz or Rubio would require the first half hour of every cabinet meeting being devoted to a briefing/cram-session that attempted to bring the Commander In Chief up to a minimum understanding of the issues involved. I would understand that a President Rubio wouldn't get into arguments with military officers who objected to receiving orders which were illegal under both International Law as well as the principles of the UCMJ.

Pretty much every major candidate (with one glaring exception) in the Republican nomination process this year had a record of Service. Cruz; Rubio; Jeb Bush; Scott Walker, etc. - had all served their country as elected officials. Carly Fiorina had served her bosses, her Board of Directors, and her Shareholders as a Corporate Executive. And Ben Carson had served his community and the medical profession as a Surgeon and physician.

Donald Trump never served anybody, other than himself, in his life. It shows in his personality. It shows in his business and personal record. And it shows in his campaign.

He is not fit to serve as President.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

God it's scary when you're saying Carson is better than Trump. I think you're right though.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

With the birther stuff he carried on about? Not a chance.

And on top of that add in the rapist comment and mocking of the disabled? Yeah, no way would he get the nomination of the Democrat party with all that stuff.

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If trump were running as a dem he would have caused Hillary to stroke out on stage months ago, just like he will tonight.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Now they've got you doing it. :eek:

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Wrong, no frick'n way.

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

He wouldn't have won the nomination. Blacks and Latinos don't like him...he would have got demolished in the South during the primaries running as a Democrat.

13. appleisking macrumors 6502a

You don't get it do you? Bernie lost because of his inability to appeal to a broad and diverse electorate. His core support come from white college liberals who don't vote as the primaries have proven. He resoundedly lost the black vote (remember how little of the south he won). You really think Trump who has those flaws in addition to all of his other baggage would have stood a chance?

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Is be planning on voting for Kasich if Dumb Donald had gotten the Democratic nomination.

15. cube macrumors G5

I sometimes think his secret plan is to get D to win.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Kasich didn't stand a chance even without Trump in the race.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

No way to say that in retrospect.

18. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

He was too moderate (and he really wasn't relatively speaking which shows far the right really has gone). All the trump people would have just gone to cruz

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

They seem to like him in Ohio, why doesn't that translate outside the state?

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Probably had to do with his constant reminders that his Grandpa was a coal miner and his Dad was a postman. Not to mention his fruit ninja hands. Honestly he only won Ohio because he's actually been good for our economy. He's know to have out burst calling State Troopers "idiots" when they pull over his SUV for speeding.