What if US stops trade with China over North Korea?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by psynnott, Sep 4, 2017.

1. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

[​IMG]

Just had a horrible thought that this could really happen. If Trump stops trading with China for even a short time, this will really muck up new iPhone delivery.

I know, more important things to worry about, like a nuclear North Korea.

North Korea preparing more missile launches, says South
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41144356

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I'm more worried about the stock market than my new iPhone really. If the worlds two largest economies gets into a squabble over trade, then its going to affect us all.. >_<

3. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

Like that would happen... really, can't you pick up Trump's blatant bravado bluff by now?

If the US did that it would be economic suicide.

Mind you, China is a authoritarian regime, and it's despicable, but the reality is that we're all too tied to them.

NK being so bold can also be read in a different light. I don't think they would bite the hand that keeps them alive, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was the Chinese using them as a proxy to stir the pot.

4. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Don't care if this interrupts the iPhone. And remember many of the components for the iPhone come from South Korea. I'd rather drastic action bet taken now rather than increase the chance of nuclear war. Already we have contiguous regions with competing interests armed with nuclear weapons: NATO/US, Russia, India, the PRC, and Pakistan. Adding NK to this mix adds will hardly increase stability.... The people of the Southern Hemisphere must be scratching their heads at all of this...

6. Zenithal macrumors G3

Plenty of us Americans are scratching our heads at the pillocks in this administration. This is the time for May to make a silly statement and steal the spotlight for the next 24 hours.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

LOL. I saw a newspaper headline that asked whether signals from Earth reached Planet Tory.... (FWIW I am a US citizen as well as being a permanent resident of the UK)

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Making China choose between the US and NK seems like a no brainer on the Chinese side. NK is a thorn in their side right now, the fat bastard had the balls to do a nuke test during a Chinese intl meeting. I think the US just needs to assure them that they won't try to unify the countries under SK.

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Well, the NK nut cases could actually end up threatening China with nuclear strikes. They seem to like to do that regularly. If NK started massing troops on the chinese border, you'd likely see China get pretty annoyed.

10. 0007776 Suspended

Trump is all talk, so it won't happen. That said if it did, it would depend on if they banned all trade including electronics that are made in China, but assembled elsewhere or just banned direct trade. If they banned all trade we would go back about 100 years since many of the rare earth mineral essential for electronics almost exclusively come from China. If there was just a ban on direct imports from China prices would skyrocket, and there would be shortages of many consumer goods until we are able to source assembled finished products from other parts of the world. Also US manufacturing exports would die due to a lack of markets.

11. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

What drastic action can you take? There is nothing anyone can do.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2017 ---
    LOL... Like US will follow its words. The only logical step after NK fall is Korean unification and next thing you see is US moving its troop to China/Korea border, This is the last thing China want to see.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2017 ---
    Still better than US.

US is falling empire. I am laughing at US and its so called democracy. China is rising star and the authoritarian regime is only way to make China better. Democracy is slow, inefficient and only drag the country down.

12. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Uh-huh. You're saying they'll prefer the fat bastard in Washington who cares nothing about deals, publicly states that he thinks Taiwan should be independent, and only a few months after making happy noises after a meeting with Xi goes right back to declaring that China is the enemy.

I don't think China has much political interest in supporting either the US or NK at this moment.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They would be acting in their own self interest, alternative is the US steam rolls NK and we are in their back yard.

14. 0007776 Suspended

Tensions are rising with China anyway, and we will likely have some sort of war with them within the next few decades, it would seem to be in their best interests to have that war fought on North Korean rather than Chinese soil.

15. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It simply isn't going to happen that the US halts all trade with China. Absurd threat.

16. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

If the US was going to steam roll NK, we'd have done it twenty years ago. Forty years ago, even.

Nah, the US will stay out of NK so long as China backs up NK. Nothing has really changed, other than perhaps the raw stupidity of our current leader.

17. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I only know one thing:
    No matter how US and China fight, we citizens are always and will continue to be the victims.
    Therefore, the best news is no News.

18. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Because no news is good news

19. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

A blanket trade cutoff may hurt the US far more than it hurts North Korea. I believe China views the US as a competitor. There are certain advantages the US has that would take China decades to match. The US has multiple world-renowned universities. The US dollar is the world's reserve currency.

North Korea is China's only real friend. It has been that way for quite some time. The issue of nuclear disarmament stretches back to the days of Kim Jong-il. There didn't seem to be as much saber rattling back when Jong-il was in power. Jong-un has proven to be a complete megalomaniac and under him, the saber rattling has gotten much for frequent. IMO, what China really wants is to maintain the status quo. Kim Jong-un will rattle his saber every now and then and tensions will flare up. China will use its position as China's only real friend to smooth things over. This arrangement is a trump card (no pun intended) for China because it levels the playing field against the US. The need for China to step in and smooth over tensions cements China's position on the world stage. I strongly believe China is playing both sides trying to maintain the status quo.

The US cutting off trade in China will constitute an act of economic warfare. What's to stop the Chinese from formally teaming up with North Korea in response? I haven't even mentioned the tiny little details (\s) about consumer goods coming from China that won't be coming anymore if the US does decide to stop trade.

20. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

China,North Korea and Russia will always stick together. America would not want to take on all 3.

21. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

China's one belt, one road, big bribery project may well flourish, at our expense, if we get it wrong. The EU is not yet on board, but could be, if they perceive US becoming isolationist.

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

What would happen? Everything would become A LOT more expensive to buy.

23. jeyf macrumors 65816

24. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Agree. The end-result is to cripple the stock market so bad that it wipes out the retirement savings (401Ks, employer retirement plans, etc) of millions of Americans. The result would be a repeat of the 1929 stock market crash.

And of course, hundreds of millions of ordinary Chinese (many have jobs working inside factories like FoxxCon) would be unemployed overnight, and will not have money to pay their rents and feed their large families. Those hundreds of millions of angry Chinese workers will riot and violently murder their Communist leaders. It will be a bloodbath similar to the Bolsheviks overthrowing and exterminating the entire Romanov dynasty and their monarchist supporters.

25. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

No more iPhones for a while. Could piss China off real bad, start making iPhones in Taiwan. **** would really hit fan then. Not so inconsequential as NK nukes.