WHAT IF... Verizon iPhone users have a better overall experience that AT&T users?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeyondtheTech, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Granted, one of the limiting differences between Verizon and AT&T is their cellular technology, where CDMA cannot use voice and data simultaneously. Related to that technology, GSM phones are more widely accepted in other countries, provided you adhere to AT&T's international roaming prices and policies. (We're not talking jailbreak or unlocking here).

But, with Verizon's push of offering an unlimited data plan, being confident enough for a flawless launch, and their superior network coverage...

WHAT IF they actually end up with a better experience for iPhone users than AT&T has ever been able to provide? No "death grip" issue, no or less dropped calls, no dead zones, no launch day crashes and headaches, etc..

Would that be a big enough slap in the face for AT&T, who has never been able to get it right in the four years of iPhone launches, raising their data plans followed by tiering them, a good ribbing from hundreds of YouTube videos to Jon Stewart and The Daily Show, and wasteful use of their resources - their profits - from our monthly subscriptions - on things like "Seth the Blogger Guy" and the "Rethink Possible" campaign, scarely giving our MicroCells for free and charging many others to fix their network inefficiencies, and relying on their customer base to use their Mark the Spot app to point out their obvious dead zones and network problems?

Would you switch? Would you have more contempt? Would you just suck it up and deal with it?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So what if they have a better experience. Do you think that everyone will just abandon at&t? Some will have a better experience, some will not, and some won't notice a difference.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Exactly.

There are places that have better coverage with AT&T and there are places that have better coverage with Verizon. And I think that we will most probably find that Verizon is a lot more like AT&T than everyone thinks.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What you are describing has not happened to me, or to many, many other AT&T customers

I am very happy with my iPhone and AT&T experience

I don't care that Verizon gets the iPhone... good for them
    I am not hoping they fail

This isn't like college football
    I'm not rooting for one team over the other

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Some VZW iPhone users will have a better experience. After much reluctancy I had to leave AT&T after being with them for over a decade (of course under various monikers). My experience with my Droid is great and come contract renewal I will probably get the iPhone where I suspect my experience will continue to be great. My relationship with AT&T became rocky once I moved. It sucked but it is just how it happened. I value my home more than I value my phone.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I would like to quote this person a 3rd time.

I don't understand why some people don't understand this concept of choice,

-Some people are happier using Windows, thats fine.
    -Some people will be happier on Verizon than with AT&T, thats ok.
    -Some people prefer Android devices, thats what they prefer.
    -Some people prefer Seattle's Coffee over Starbucks.
    -Some people prefer Coke over Pepsi.

Everyone has difference preferences, so these companies will be fine (finically) and it is not a slap in the face to anyone, AT&T is not going to close shop tomorrow because a few people switched over to Verizon, their felling won't be hurt.

7. bergmef macrumors 6502a

Who cares? Get what works for you. Why care if another network goes smooth if you are happy? If you aren't, you should switch.

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

Who really cares? I don't really care to root for either one since all carriers seem like crooks to me. These what ifs just creates a pissing contest.

I personally think Verizon has better coverage and reception than AT&T, but since I don't really use my phone as a phone as much, it doesn't bother me. I'm not leaving AT&T because of it or because Verizon has a smoother launch. I personally had a smooth launch day when I got an iPhone 4 last year.

I just hate how Verizon is price gouging their customers with a 7+ month old phone. Why pay $49 more off-contract when the CDMA version will likely have worse resell value and a newer iPhone is around the corner? Verizon is acting greedy here because they can and want to just like how Sony acted when they first released the PS3.

9. steven10093 macrumors newbie

You will be able to talk and be on web at the same time now!

10. schwell macrumors regular

There is not much difference overall on average between the two. If there was one would have many more customers than the other. Last time I saw numbers they both had 85-90 million wireless subscribers. Sprint and t-mobile combined were less than either AT&T or Verizon.

11. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

No, I wouldn't switch.

No, no more contempt.

I have no need to suck it up or deal with it, AT&T is fantastic :)

12. raymondthimmes macrumors member

Hell will open up and swallow all at&t iphone users.

13. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

If the phone is the same then the experience will be predicated on the quality of coverage in your area. Does anyone really believe that Verizon doesn't drop calls as well?

14. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

+1

I'm fascinated that folks are so sure that everyone hates AT&T, confident that Verizon will do it better, and blindly confident in THEIR interpretation of "temporarily" (offering unlimited data).

I like AT&T. I don't hate Verizon. I see no reason to switch.

15. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Yup, a network’s coverage, performance and reliability vary greatly depending on region... where one might have awesome coverage, another fails.

16. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I fail to see how anyone's experience on Verizon affects my own on AT&T. If I'm happy, then I don't give a rat's behind about anybody else.

17. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

DITTO!!! :apple:

18. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A good Verizon experience for other people doesn't change the fact that I've had mostly good experiences with ATT.

Here's a spoiler for you, all carriers suck.

20. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

What if ?

Well of course the next iPhone will be better.

Apples not so stupid as to repeat the iPhone 4 antenna gate debacle all over again. I don't care what the denial experts, or apologists say, the GSM iP4 has a crappy antenna. Period.

They've already modified it for Verizon. You can argue all day, but the fact of the matter is, that all cell phone carriers have strong and weak areas, it's how the system operates.

Something that most people are too lazy to learn about on their own.

So there :)