What if you camp out all night & are #31 in line... but find out they only have 30!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user-name-here, Sep 19, 2013.

1. user-name-here, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

user-name-here macrumors 65816

Just curious,

Purely just hypothetical #'s of course: But what if you camp out all night in a big line. You are not sure what spot you exactly have but you are sure all this hard work will pay off (turns out you actually are #31 in a line of 100 or so and are feeling good about your chances).

Then 8am rolls around, finally, and they tell you:
    :eek:

What would you do? I KNOW this sort of situation will come up for someone here. So how would you respond after camping out all night just to miss out by --->||<--- much?

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

First world problems!!!

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The real question for me is....why in the name of all that is rational would anyone camp out over night to buy some electronic device?

But that's just me...:p

;)

4. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Thank you!

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

What if the Moon was made of cheese? Would you eat it?

If I were in that situation, and there is no way I would ever put myself there, I would be disappointed, and would probably come back another time.

But allow me to reiterate, I would never put myself there - in line, camping out. Never.

7. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

SO they can have it 7-10 days before you!!!! They will be that much cooler for a whole week. Hard to put a value on it.

8. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Well one would hope store would take down their name for first in line in next shipment.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Extremely hard! :D

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Aren't you an expert in the irrational? You should go out tonight to a line and hand out business cards.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Great idea...but I try to avoid taking on hopeless cases!

Bad for my batting average...

;):D

12. wxman2003 Suspended

Plus most people won't know they have the 5s since they look like the 5 from a distance, unless the owners are annoying and have to show everyone. In that case, look for people with a few lumps on their heads.

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

odd enough that probably does happen every year. That's why I never camp out ever :D

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I believe some places do line counts before they open.

15. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I think that person should kill themselves immediately.

16. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I think it's really cool that some people are passionate about this (Im guilty). I told my husband I feel like tomorrow is Christmas... I think it's sad that other people might not feel this feeling. To feel like a kid again, just for one day. It's remarkable.

17. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

it's not just you

18. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

Sure, but the premise is the same. You just spent all night camping out, and around 8am they do a line count and you find out you are just 1 - 2 spots away from where they ran out. What would you do? How would you respond?

I know this sort of situation is going to come up for some of the members here.

19. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Truth is, if I were guaranteed the phone of my choice if I got to the store at 5am I'd consider it. But it isn't worth the risk of losing 3+ hours of life and up having a color or size I dont want. For me, that is worse than waiting the extra week vs. the upside of having it sooner. Besides, I'm married with kids so I dont go out much and dont have anyone to show off the cool new fingerprint thingy too anyway. ;)

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

how do you want me to respond... It's not like they can make an iPhone appear from thin air... I guess I would ask for some type of reservation for when the next shipment arrives or a freebie for my time if no one came to check on the line or had limits beforehand.

21. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

What if you camp out all night & are #31 in line... but find out they only ha...

I never understood the camping out stuff, though I suppose I'd consider it if it was a tailgate-like event with friends and booze!

If I was #51 for 50 iPhones, I suppose I wouldn't care much, as long as I got some booze in the process.

22. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone have this scenario happen to them yet? Hope you all get your iPhones but I'd assume it will happen to a good few.