All iPads What if you lived like it was 1-3 years in the past....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Oct 29, 2013.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

In terms of technology purchases...

What if you purposely bought everything that was 2-3 years old.

Imagine how much money you would save that could be put towards other things.

You would also contribute to the American economy because instead of sending more money overseas you would be buying things from fellow Americans.

You would be recycling electronics keeping them from ending up in junkyards as quickly. You would also cause companies to produce less of the product because there weren't as many new models being purchased.

On the flip side, imagine putting a technology purchase on a credit card that has interest on it. You are literally making the worst investment ever because you are paying more now for a product that is guaranteed to lose its value.

2. SL4VE macrumors 6502

iTunes and iOS updates make sure this is nearly impossible. for example if you had a iPad running ios5 nice and sweet and it crashed you would need to update iTunes and iOS to restore and than it would be slow and sluggish and prob end up upgrading :(

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You need to add a few 'MERICA pew pew pew' lines there ...

You need to think of the world as something we all are living on, not from a single-minded, one nation perspective.

4. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I already do that. The family gets the hand-me-downs as far as tech goes. The oldest items in my inventory is a 2006 MBP 1,1 1.83Ghz CD that my son uses to play minecraft.

I keep machines running well past when others would give up on them, because my wife and son don't needed the latest and greatest with their usage, only something that works.

But if you are only concerned with your own needs, then find a nice new home for your "old" MBP/MBA/Mini/etc... and get the latest - which will make your computer time more enjoyable.

I don't see the problem. It's not like your older machines just go into the dump or something like that.

5. leenak macrumors 68020

That train of thought works for me with cars, buy a couple years old (although I did buy my car new) and pay with cash. With technology, I prefer to buy new.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Well put.

7. blco02 macrumors member

What about all those American Apple workers who would be let go because no one is buying the new Apple products?

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Sounds like a nice sentiment, but that would depend on the context. Having a single minded, one-nation perspective is not always necessarily a bad thing. That goes for whatever nation you happen to be from.

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

"On the flip side, imagine putting a technology purchase on a credit card that has interest on it. You are literally making the worst investment ever because you are paying more now for a product that is guaranteed to lose its value."

I think of my Apple purchases as buying the experience, not the product itself. For example, the iPad Air vs the original iPad.
    Newer, fresher technology is a much better experience than older ones.

That is what I am buying- not the hardware.

10. Altis macrumors 68020

Early adoption comes with pros and cons, there's nothing wrong with trailing around 1-2 years behind. Apple sure won't make it easy, though.

I try to hang behind a bit when it comes to all the cloud related stuff...

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Other things like a lawyer, to help get your identity back, after it was stolen because you used an old computer with compromised software that couldn't be updated because the machine was too old?

Or an electric bill that's 10% higher because your old tech is an energy monster?

Or paid tech support because you have a problem with your product that's hopelessly out of warranty?

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I know someone like that. He's bought a couple of my old iPads and that saves him quite a bit of money. Meanwhile, I get a better price than I would've gotten on ebay (after seller and Paypal fees) to buy the new version. Win-win. :)

13. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Why not go a bit farther, just stop buying anything but the necessities (bare necessities food, water shelter) for 6 months. Save up what you would have spent and then start just paying cash (only cash) for the items that you truly want.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That would be called a "sensible" strategy. Pity so few of us have the sense, patience and discipline to carry it out...

15. leenak macrumors 68020

That is already my strategy... Buy everything with cash where cash is a cash back credit card that is paid off each month. Although my house wasn't paid with cash but I'll accept a low interest 15 year mortgage.

16. donnaw macrumors 65816

Lol! Nice way to justify...

Lets see, I've been buying things online for years. I purposely moved to my current band 15+ years ago because they had software that let me bank online. Never had an issue with identity theft.

My electric bill is fine. Turning off lights when you leave a room will do more to lessen your bill than spending hundreds on new tech every year.

Who pays for tech support? Older tech is like old cars, want to use it, learn to repair it yourself.

You would be amazed how much money you can save just being a bit prudent. But then I'm 62 and when I grew up only the very rich had credit cards. Regular people actually saved for something they wanted and paid cash. The only thing I ever financed was my first house. Fixed it up, sold it and paid cash for the next two. I still live this way. May be why I was able to retire at 54 with a nice house, land, new car, no debt and plenty of cash and investments.

OP, this is nothing new but nice thinking. Living like your parents (or probably grandparents) has advantages. Try it. Your friends may make fun of you until they run into credit issues and you drive up in a new, fully-paid car, or move into your new house. They will complain about their mortgage and you're laughing all the way to the airport on your way to a really nice stress-free vacation. I know, I've literally been there.