What improvements do we expect to see over the next 3 years for the MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RngRngBananaRam, Oct 28, 2013.

1. RngRngBananaRam, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

RngRngBananaRam macrumors newbie

My realistic guess would be:

1. Even higher resolution IGZO screens. I believe IGZO screens flicker each pixel only when necessary, producing less eye strain, but I could be completely wrong.
    2. Improved battery life
    3. Fingerprint scanners
    4. Quad-core processors (on the 13-inch models)
    5. 1080p webcams

What is my list missing?

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

In addition to your list, I'm hoping for NFC in the palm rest so I can share webpages between my phone and Mac. But given Apple's lack of NFC support in the iPhone I don't see this happening.

3. aiom macrumors member

Please NO, I really don't need a 5120x3200 resolution anymore. Retina
    resolution is already too much. It just produces more problems:

Aside from forcing everyone to use SVG and make a high and low resolution of bitmap images (photos) - once the resolution is again a step higher you'll need to produce 3 or 4 types of the same image. How stupid is that? This whole development just produced more problems than required... then you got:

More contrast = more eyestrain
    Even smaller fonts = more eyestrain

Reducing resolution or contrast to release eyestrain makes the whole purpose of high resolutions on small displays pointless - which I think already happened on the retina.
    Most professionals want more screenspace (e.g. 17"), not a higher resolution. It's just stupid this whole thing with making higher and higher resolutions.

I wished developments would go in another directions, e.g. remove rotating fans (motors!) and create a completely passive cooling solutions due to some magic, instead of jumping the stupid "higher resolution" bandwagon.

4. gentleman00 macrumors 6502

Be happy with what you have now and don't worry about the future technology. Three years from now, when you have that IGZO screen in front of you with a gazllion pixels, you will still ask the same question. Recognize you are an addicted tech junkie who will never be satisfied with the latest technology. Living in the present is true awakening and enlightenment.

5. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

6. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

I'd be really glad to see the day when laptops finally get rid of fans, be it due to hardware efficiency or some alternative cooling method.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

As Intel aims for lower and lower power consumption we might see them shrink in weight and thickness again. Once they are iGPU only with Broadwell or after.
    IGZO is a possibility but Sharp is not the only one to work on it. So it might just be updates for the current LG/Samsung panels. They are behind but they work on these too. They will get more efficient each gen.

I think the return of a 17" isn't too unlikely or just bigger screens with less bezel in a similar form factor. I think more screen real estate is what many could use.
    Phones have screens with next to know bezel. TVs have also slim bezels. Some notebooks go the same route. With the same battery it obviously hurts battery life a bit but Broadwell and the likes will make up for that.

8. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Probably reasonable to expect a fingerprint sensor (TouchID) on the MBPros, which follow the iOS device stuff.

Especially since your fingerprint will be recognized for purchases and probably logging into websites/banks, it's reasonable to assume that TouchID will make its way onto the laptops.

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Merging of OS X and iOS more and more :(

That will lead to Apple eventually supporting touch screen tech on the OS X side.

Since Apple seems intent on killing the dGPU, but still forcing folks to pay premium, I"m guessing the dGPU shifts to a BTO option only available on the highest priced MBP model - and certainly not offered on the 13"(apple's gotta force you to pay more to move up). I expect the 13" to remain dual core as long as Applely possible, to force the same kind of "pay more" mentality as the dGPU.

If it could be made thinner, Ive will make it happen.

10. LaravelNick macrumors member

11. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

If they could, they would. Only thing left would be the SSD. And right now, they are controlling the supplies of proprietary part to get it to work. If a 3rd part came out with a compatible part, then the gluing/soldering would extend to the SSD.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think this thread is a great example of the mediocracy we've come to expect from Apple.

10 years ago everyone would be jumping up and down, the PowerBook G5, more durable casing, dual Firewire 800 ports for professionals, backlit keyboards on the 12" PB, and the like. Now there's no mention at all of an esata port or top of the line GPU. Actually, there's a lot of ridicule directed towards Apple Inc.

Anyway, my wish list
    • Touchscreen
    • better keyboard (the current one is way so shallow)
    • esata port
    • more ports on their pro machines
    • better video cards in the pro machines
    • power supplies that can properly power their high end (e.g. 130 TDP) laptops
    • a docking station
    • A new design without the (IMO) fugly silver and black
    • The return of the 12" PB. The edge-to-edge keyboard was superb, and it just felt so solid and high end yet small. Much different from the thin and sleek 11" Air.

What I expect:
    • Thinner
    • More tape and glue
    • Less customizable
    • Less fixable
    • More boring

13. katorga macrumors regular

Next 3 years....

Unless Apple drops Intel the next three years will be incremental improvements.

I don't see Apple going much higher on retina resolutions. They are notorious for using the correct "ergonomic" resolution per display size. Ie. they default to 1440x900 on 15" no matter what. At some point you get diminishing returns for "sharpness" versus power consumption and cost.

Eventually 80% of the case volume will be battery, with about a 4" sq system board.

14. lcseds macrumors 6502a

++1 Make then cool running sans fan. Plenty of power in these, but they can heat up too much for lap use.

15. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Not enough for me to upgrade from the ones that were just released.

16. rMBP2013 macrumors member

24-hour battery life with similar performance to what we have today.

17. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

running native at 2880x1800 is too small, if i run at native i need to set the webpage zoom to 150%

what i would like is a 4k screen that is providing hidpi 1920x1200 as the 1080p size is great but not as clear as native or 1440x900 hidpi