Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I figure:

- SOC is going from 45nm to 28nm in order to save power / reduce heat.

- With reduced power usage I could see Apple making the battery smaller to try and make the iPad a little thinner / lighter.

- Camera might get a bump up from 5mp to 8mp.

These above seem completely underwhelming but other than these I am stumped as to what can actually be improved :confused:

What do you guys think will be the improvements for the 2013 iPad?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
No one really knows for sure. The safe bet is a speed bump, stereo speakers. Not a whole lot you can add after the retina display.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
The current CPU is woefully underpowered for driving the Retina display, a speed upgrade there will be likely. (try reading image-heavy PDFs, it is not a pleasant experience)

Similarly, the current GPU is underpowered for games. Most titles run appallingly poorly when rendered at native 2048×1536 resolution.

Hopefully these two things will bring the experience back to how it was with the iPad 2, where pages were rendered as quickly as you could flip through them, and games ran decently (rather than terribly) at native resolution.

I would also expect a reduction in heat and possibly power consumption.
We will probably see an increase in storage capacity.

No major changes.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Haptic feedback would be really really cool, possibly NFC payment (just speculating here). I also agree with you concerning the cameras, they'll definitely get (deserve) an update.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
I would like to see the touch screen respond faster and with greater accuracy, it would make things like writing and drawing/painting much easier.

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
- Improved 802.11n 5 Ghz Wifi speed (Wifi Model)
- AirDrop
- PowerNap ?
- Improved iSight Camera
- Improved FaceTime Camera
- Improved CPU / GPU
- Mag Safe / Mag Port
- 4G LTE World Wide Support (4G LTE Model)

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
- Improved 802.11n 5 Ghz Wifi speed (Wifi Model)
- AirDrop
- PowerNap ?
- Improved iSight Camera
- Improved FaceTime Camera
- Improved CPU / GPU
- Mag Safe / Mag Port
- 4G LTE World Wide Support (4G LTE Model)

PowerNap is already present in iOS. It was infact brought to OS X from iOS.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think the next iPas is where we see the next real improvement in the CPU.

That coupled with probably IGZO (like the new iPhone is supposed to have) screens enabling them to make the iPad thinner (iPad 2 thinness or a bit thinner) as well as lighter while keeping the lovely screen, battery life and LTE.

I hope upgraded front camera and maybe 8MP back (but I think the improvement should be front camera as the main priority).

LTE will hopefully be more world friendly!

EDIT: Also first 128gb iOS device.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
The current CPU is woefully underpowered for driving the Retina display, a speed upgrade there will be likely. (try reading image-heavy PDFs, it is not a pleasant experience)

Similarly, the current GPU is underpowered for games. Most titles run appallingly poorly when rendered at native 2048×1536 resolution.

Hopefully these two things will bring the experience back to how it was with the iPad 2, where pages were rendered as quickly as you could flip through them, and games ran decently (rather than terribly) at native resolution.

I would also expect a reduction in heat and possibly power consumption.
We will probably see an increase in storage capacity.

No major changes.

So what you are saying is an A5X (same as A5 on iPad 2) and the quad-core graphics (2X iPad 2) can't handle a retina display when it's as smooth as the iPad 2.

----------

Haptic feedback would be really really cool, possibly NFC payment (just speculating here). I also agree with you concerning the cameras, they'll definitely get (deserve) an update.

NFC would be useless on a 9.7" tablet (you would have to carry it around).

boomboom2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I think it would be really cool if they had a well done pen input support like the Galaxy Note 10.1 with a pressure sensitive Wacom pen! That would be crazy awesome for notes and creative work.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Speed

Significant enhancements to the SoC (A15, PowerVR 6000 series GPU)
Wifi should be 802.11ac
NAND should be faster and go to 128GB
Battery life should improve
NFC could be added.
Camera improvement

That would be enough for me to upgrade.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Maybe a RAM bump, as every generation has double the ram from the generation before it.

Perhaps a better CPU or a die shrinkage of the CPU, or likely a combination of both.

Better camera is a possibility.

Less power consumption.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Since iPad 3 was the big jump with the retina display, camera, etc.

iPad 4 will probably have

A6 chip (quad-core w/ 1.2GHz CPU & 1GB RAM)
FaceTime HD camera (1.3 mega-pixel)

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Put 4 speakers on it...Yes, 4.

4 speakers will allow stereo in horiz. and vert. orientation.

(At least 2 speakers...come on Apple!)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
"In-Cell" touchscreen
HD Facetime Camera
8MP iSight Camera
Thinner
Lighter
No heat
28nm SOC
New design, similar to the new iPhone. (square, not tapered)
2 speakers
Additional rear mic

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
iOS will benefit from a higher clocked dual core, either a9 or a15 architecture. Quad only seems to benefit the behemoth android OS with its virtualization overhead.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
iOS will benefit from a higher clocked dual core, either a9 or a15 architecture. Quad only seems to benefit the behemoth android OS with its virtualization overhead.

Still iOS could benefit from quad-core (hopefully A15 architecture).

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Apple is clearly following the "tick-tock" development method right now. Since "the new iPad" with retina display was clearly the "tick", the 2013 model will be the "tock" (a.k.a. incremental upgrades).

With that said, a 7" iPad is on the way. That should keep people amused for a while longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.