What Improvements Should Be Made to iLife?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I don't use the other iApps much, but I have a few suggestions for iPhoto: some kind of rotate or "straighten" feature for crooked photos. Let's go ahead and add heirarchical libraries. How about support for the little quicktime videos my digital camera makes?

Also, why not integrate AppleWorks in to iLife? It would be neat to have a little word processor, spreadsheet, drawing program that worked with iLife. Add photos to your letters. Create Web pages with movie clips. That sort of thing.

copperpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
iPhoto

yeah, uh, hey Apple, why don't you put a button that rotates the images to the right as well as left. I mean, c'mon!!!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
copperpipe said:
yeah, uh, hey Apple, why don't you put a button that rotates the images to the right as well as left. I mean, c'mon!!!
I'm about to make your life much easier: it's in preferences -- general. Also, you can option-click it to rotate the other direction (if you're one of those people who doesn't always rotate the camera the same way).

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
Am I the only one that felt that this guy's article was jsut a rant? I mean c'mon, the suggestions he put down seemed a bit weird. He wants iDVD to take up less disk space but have more themes? Rewarite iTunes code entirley in Coco? not what I think Apple has in mind.

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I just wish they offered the options to backup iphoto across multiple discs. (like itunes).

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
There are so many things Apple should change about iLife. Not so many with iMovie and iDVD but a lot in iTunes and iPhoto.
iPhoto as of now is almost unusable with 10,000 pictures. Try to find one in that mess.
iTunes needs a fully functional undo option, a sleep timer, tab changing between yes/ne when delete and a way to organize the complete albums you have. Right now iTunes is only song-based/centered. I want to be able to see what complete albums I have, see which ones I haven't listened to in a while, just click on an album to play it, etc.

There is more to these two apps, but those are my biggest gripes.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I have many gripes with iPhoto. See my thread "iPhoto=redundant, or me=confused?" for examples.

It seems many others have alot of great idea to improve this app.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Stella said:
Make .Mac apart of iLife.. at the same current price of iLife, of course!
As if this would happen. But from the integration point of view it would make a whole lot of sense.
But the other way around could happen easier... give me iLife for free each year with a .mac membership.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Diatribe said:
As if this would happen. But from the integration point of view it would make a whole lot of sense.
But the other way around could happen easier... give me iLife for free each year with a .mac membership.
Now that's a great promo. Apple marketing: are you reading this?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Diatribe said:
As long as I could still get iLife a la carte. I just spent the last couple weeks surgically separating myself from .mac

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
I've said it thousand times and I'll say it again: a new app that is basically iTunes for video!

That and a drawing/painting app (close to on par with Photoshop Elements).

And I like the idea of combining AppleWorks...maybe have iWork and iLife and you can buy them as a pack, or separately.

How about an "Apple Experience" pack: iWork, iLife, and .Mac.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
copperpipe said:
regardless the side you rotate by default, you can change that pressing ALT while clicking ;) ... and create smartlists faster

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
ok, here are my gripes as of now...

iTunes
I want to use Party Shuffle between my shared iTunes libraries and my iPod as well as my iTunes library.
Follow the bouncing ball lyrics for kinda karaoke mode. :p
Joining tracks for continuous play.
Sub-Playlists

iPhoto
Sub-Albums
Shared Libraries on one computer. Use the shared folder in the users folder! Nothing else does!
Maybe another filter or two.

iDVD/iMovie
None that I can really think of except in iMovie being able to adjust the window sizes.
And how many people are really going to use 16:9 ratio in iMovie? But just add it so they can be quiet ;)

Garageband
My favorite needs better export. Maybe I can export it right the MP3 and send it to my windows friends right away wihout having to use iTunes or Quicktime to export it.
Also, start selling templates for songs on iTMS. Like major songs that kids always want to learn on guitar (or bass :) )

Also, unrelated to iLife, but does anyone else want the birthdays in Address Book automatically put into iCal? (Please tell me how if you know how to.)

And .Mac as part of iLife would be nice because they claim all of this integration between the two whenever they talk about it. Maybe have a different box for the iLife with .Mac for $100 dollars instead of $50 without .Mac.

I know I must be dreaming.

dxp4acu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Texas
Ability to actually compose music in GarageBand. I don't have a guitar to plug in, no keyboard, etc. But I do want to write music. Give me a staff!!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
London
Agregating playlists in iTunes (and iPhoto I suppose). At the moment I have lots of smart playlists for years, i.e. 2000, 2001, ... and need to create another set for decades (2000-2009). What I want is to create a playlist folder that contains the 10 year smart playlist (and therefore all the songs in the contained playlists). It would simplify my playlist arrangment no end.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
iPhoto

This is what I think iPhoto should do (and then, I would have no further gripes with it):

Instead of asking us to IMPORT files into it, for its use of libraries, etc. It should ask us to FIND files for it.

What I mean by this is, instead of iPhoto creating directories based on numbers, etc, and then duplicating the pictures into those directories, it should only copy short cuts of our images into better named directories.

We should be able to browse through our pics in the finder, in relevantly named folders.

If I have pictures of a camping trip, they should be in a folder titled "Camping Trip"...not in a folder titled "23", thats within a folder named "2001" etc.

iPhoto should NOT duplicate photos for any reason. It should simply link to the photo's we already have, in folders that are defined by us. It could still email photos and all that just the same. But it would make it much more easier and effecient for us human folk.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Diatribe said:
Right now iTunes is only song-based/centered. I want to be able to see what complete albums I have, see which ones I haven't listened to in a while, just click on an album to play it, etc..
This is a great suggestion. I like to listen to mixed dj cd's and it's a pain in the butt with the way iTunes works.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
bennetsaysargh said:
Joining tracks for continuous play.

None that I can really think of except in iMovie being able to adjust the window sizes.

Also, unrelated to iLife, but does anyone else want the birthdays in Address Book automatically put into iCal? (Please tell me how if you know how to.)
iTunes:
You can Join tracks from a CD before you rip it by highlighting the tracks and going to advanced>join cd tracks, but I don't think you can do it for existing tracks in your library.

iMovie:
Why can't you resize the iMovie window? I can. iDVD wouldn't make sense to anyway. Don't you want to see what your DVD will look like?

Address Book:
I am pretty sure this is a feature in Tiger. It is coming.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
Diatribe said:
Right now iTunes is only song-based/centered. I want to be able to see what complete albums I have, see which ones I haven't listened to in a while, just click on an album to play it, etc.
You can already do this sort of. You can make a playlist for each album. But an arrow-down grouping feature would be nice. You can also make a smart playlist to show you the songs you haven't listened to in X days. You can select them by album as well I believe.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Diatribe said:
I also think that would be a good idea. It would encourage more members to join.