Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m planning to use my 11” pro with the same setup I’m currently using my 2018 iPad - full-size Bluetooth keyboard and metal stand that is adjustable and lifts it to more of a computer screen height when I’m using it. I like to keep it in a case with a back and screen cover (I keep it folded back on the stand), so that a) the metal stand won’t scratch it, and b) I can just pick it up and go when I want to take it somewhere, and it’s protected.

I’m likely to get the Apple keyboard folio, but I haven’t really played with them in store and I’d like to do that before I order one - wanna see the overall bulk of it, and decide if I want that extra weight. Since I do the bulk of my actual typing on my iPad when I’m at home at my desk, what I have works really well, but when I had the 1st and 2nd 12.9 pros, the ASK was my favorite thing, so I think I’d ultimately love the folio.

Anyway, sorry to ramble - just looking for something inexpensive to keep it from getting scratched.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Currently in between the 11" LTE I returned and the WIFI I will get once there is a workable glass screen protector. But I still have both of these and they fit and work great. Some protection and great grip along with good fitting and charging pencil. The 3rd item is my backpack transport solution for the iPad:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFC7TRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFYXL5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And for the overkill:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ERO7QM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(showing iPad in Otterbox Symmetry case, which I promptly returned after getting the above)

Untitled by Jeff, on Flickr

Reactions: ssledoux

maiya

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2019
Currently in between the 11" LTE I returned and the WIFI I will get once there is a workable glass screen protector. But I still have both of these and they fit and work great. Some protection and great grip along with good fitting and charging pencil. The 3rd item is my backpack transport solution for the iPad:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFC7TRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFYXL5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(showing iPad in Otterbox Symmetry case, which I promptly returned after getting the above)

Untitled by Jeff, on Flickr

Among the two above links - is there one case you prefer compared to the other? Is one lighter? I currently have a smart folio type case.. but the sides are unprotected. And I now have a pencil. May keep what I have and wait for the logitec 11 keyboard (whenever it comes out). But am eyeing more protective cases with pencil storage too.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Among the two above links - is there one case you prefer compared to the other? Is one lighter? I currently have a smart folio type case.. but the sides are unprotected. And I now have a pencil. May keep what I have and wait for the logitec 11 keyboard (whenever it comes out). But am eyeing more protective cases with pencil storage too.

Went to look at them and handle again (since don't currently have the iPad). I prefer the 2nd link and the Luvvit case. Slightly better materials it seems, better grip, excellent button feel and good pencil pocket. Not the cheapest out there, but very good quality.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
You should put items you want on your Wish List on Amazon so it will alert you when an item goes on sale. I got a Smart cover for my IPP for $20.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I’m planning to use my 11” pro with the same setup I’m currently using my 2018 iPad - full-size Bluetooth keyboard and metal stand that is adjustable and lifts it to more of a computer screen height when I’m using it. I like to keep it in a case with a back and screen cover (I keep it folded back on the stand), so that a) the metal stand won’t scratch it, and b) I can just pick it up and go when I want to take it somewhere, and it’s protected.

I’m likely to get the Apple keyboard folio, but I haven’t really played with them in store and I’d like to do that before I order one - wanna see the overall bulk of it, and decide if I want that extra weight. Since I do the bulk of my actual typing on my iPad when I’m at home at my desk, what I have works really well, but when I had the 1st and 2nd 12.9 pros, the ASK was my favorite thing, so I think I’d ultimately love the folio.

Anyway, sorry to ramble - just looking for something inexpensive to keep it from getting scratched.

I have one of the inexpensive knockoff folios from Amazon, and it is perfectly nice, but in terms of weight, it weighs the same as the keyboard folio. I think the Apple folio is a little lighter than the knockoffs.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have one of the inexpensive knockoff folios from Amazon, and it is perfectly nice, but in terms of weight, it weighs the same as the keyboard folio. I think the Apple folio is a little lighter than the knockoffs.

I would really like to get the keyboard folio, but I’m not sure I love how it doesn’t actually cover the edges of the iPad, and I need to get a feel for the bulk. I’m gonna have to make a run to the Apple store and check it out.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I would really like to get the keyboard folio, but I’m not sure I love how it doesn’t actually cover the edges of the iPad, and I need to get a feel for the bulk. I’m gonna have to make a run to the Apple store and check it out.
Yeah, it’s a trade off. I felt that way at first... but now I’m ok with that in exchange for being able to take it off super easily, which I do all the time. Right now I’m lying in bed with the bare iPad, with the keyboard folio next to me. I’ll put it back in when I get up, and it will only take a second.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Yeah, it’s a trade off. I felt that way at first... but now I’m ok with that in exchange for being able to take it off super easily, which I do all the time. Right now I’m lying in bed with the bare iPad, with the keyboard folio next to me. I’ll put it back in when I get up, and it will only take a second.

So your knockoff has the keyboard also? Which is it?

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
So your knockoff has the keyboard also? Which is it?

No, I have the ASK and a knockoff, separate things.

I pretty much only use the knockoff when I want a specific angle for drawing. The rest of the time I don’t find it to be a significant enough improvement in bulk or weight to be worth not having the keyboard handy.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I just picked up an inexpensive case that has back protection and a flip cover for the screen. My plan was to just use the pro in my same setup as I’m using my 2018 iPad, which is a stand and full size Bluetooth keyboard (basically like an Apple keyboard for Mac, but a cheap imitation). ;-p

I like my setup, and having a case on the iPad makes it super easy to just grab and go, but gives me a good spot for doing things that require heavier typing.

I LOVED that ASK with my 12.9 though - SO easy to type on. It’s why I don’t think I’ll be able to NOT get the keyboard folio at some point.
[doublepost=1547998357][/doublepost]
No, I have the ASK and a knockoff, separate things.

I pretty much only use the knockoff when I want a specific angle for drawing. The rest of the time I don’t find it to be a significant enough improvement in bulk or weight to be worth not having the keyboard handy.

Oh okay. What size iPP do you have?

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I just picked up an inexpensive case that has back protection and a flip cover for the screen. My plan was to just use the pro in my same setup as I’m using my 2018 iPad, which is a stand and full size Bluetooth keyboard (basically like an Apple keyboard for Mac, but a cheap imitation). ;-p

I like my setup, and having a case on the iPad makes it super easy to just grab and go, but gives me a good spot for doing things that require heavier typing.

I LOVED that ASK with my 12.9 though - SO easy to type on. It’s why I don’t think I’ll be able to NOT get the keyboard folio at some point.
[doublepost=1547998357][/doublepost]

Oh okay. What size iPP do you have?

11 inch (and 2017 12.9).

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
11 inch (and 2017 12.9).

I just got the 11”. Waiting on my case to arrive before I actually mess with it much. I don’t want to put it in my stand because the stand is aluminum and I don’t want to scratch my pad.

I had the 12.9 1st and 2nd gen, and I LOVED that keyboard - it was so easy to type on!
[doublepost=1547998915][/doublepost]I just wound up never doing anything else with it because of the overall size. The smaller one will be much easier to grab and go!

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I just got the 11”. Waiting on my case to arrive before I actually mess with it much. I don’t want to put it in my stand because the stand is aluminum and I don’t want to scratch my pad.

I had the 12.9 1st and 2nd gen, and I LOVED that keyboard - it was so easy to type on!
Yeah, I’m a huge ASK fan. :) I don’t use the onscreen keyboard for more than a few sentences. And even for that I often use the ASK.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I personally like my Moko case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H88S2DJ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very inexpensive. I think heavier than the Apple version but very sturdy. I feel much better slipping the iPad into my bag with the metal plates in this case protecting it.

There isn't any significant side protection BUT it is very easy to slip the case off when you want to (surprisingly difficult to do accidentally) so the case is usually just on when I'm carrying it around and I slip it off if I'm reading/working on the couch or just not at a desk. For me that plus outweighs any cons of using a magnetic folio type case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.