What iPhone needs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I really enjoy my iPhone 5, but I think there are some things that Apple could do to step up their game.

1) Keyboard - Improved predictive text would be nice. BlackBerry and Swype have some interesting innovations. I feel that iOS is behind here.

2) Screen sizes - I bought my iPhone because the companies that make Android handsets offered only big and bigger devices. I wanted a smaller device and they didn't offer one. The flip side if this is that there are customers who avoid iPhone because Apple only offers a smaller screen. iPad and MacBook are available in different sizes for people with different needs. I don't see why iPhone should be "one size fits all".

3) Design with accidents in mind. I see a lot of complaints about scratches, dents, and other physical effects on iPhones. I think that iPhone exteriors should be designed to handle a reasonable level of drops, abrasions, and contact with liquid without suffering cosmetic or functional damage. Cracked glass backs, scraped anodized coatings, and smashed in metal edges should be a thing of the past.

Designing iPhone with an unobtrusive soft polymer case that melds seamlessly with the device as a whole would solve some of these issues.

2. cynics macrumors G3

I agree the keyboard should be a lot better. Its really dated and the autocorrect is pretty poor. I constantly get so changing to do, and gave to have and love to live, to to so, and just an assortment of dumb things.

Although that is, the rest is more subjective. Screen size, I'm not to concerned with. And it your the type of person that is rough on a phone or cares about its appearance then get a case.

3. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

What iPhone needs

Even the most careful person can have accidents though, or have someone crash into them at an inopportune time, causing a dropped phone. Applying an engineering design philosophy that assumes that failures will occur results in systems that can deal with those failures, and a more robust overall product.

Buying a case is the practical thing to do for today's iPhones, but I want to challenge the conventional wisdom that an aftermarket case should even be necessary for the average user. iPhones are designed to be nice to look at. Why not make them both beautiful and resistant to damage?

I'm not saying that Apple should make iPhones that have Otterbox levels of durability out of the box, but I think the devices should be better designed to resist everyday mishaps.

4. cynics macrumors G3

I'm just saying you don't need to use a case. I have plenty of friends that don't and their phones still look amazing.

Me on the other hand my lifestyle is a little to rough. Even my cases gets destroyed so you could build an iPhone around being durable and I'd still mess it up.

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

A phone is an expensive piece of delicate technology. No different then laptops, cars, etc. And they have to be treated as such. If ur careless with ur Lamborghini, it will get scratched and dented. I understand ur point. But in no way should scratches, dents & broken glass be "a thing of the past".

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

One can say "accidents happen", while another can say "accidents are preventable". Each is right.

As for the keyboard, I think its no different than anything else. We get used to using what we have. Are there better? Depends on what you need/want.

Size? Again thats relative. I want a phone, not a micro tablet. People that want or need a bigger screen have choices. Samsung and HTC have some good products out on the market. So those complaining about wanting bigger screens really dont make much sense to me.

However, I do think everyone has idea's on what they'd like to see different. I'm ok with what I have for the moment. Until my needs change, I'm a happy camper.

7. dvoros macrumors 6502

what the iPhone needs

:( The iPhone needs:

1- Five inch screen so its able to use the photo,movie,keynote, pages, apps

2-Googles voice search. I have given up on Siri. It has no idea what I am looking for but when I turn to Google Voice, it immediately finds my info

3-Better battery. I am constantly charging it all day as I only get 1/2 day out of it

4-Upgraded camera as the other companies are putting Apple to shame.

5-Faster processor

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

1 - Didn't realize I wasn't able to view pictures or use other apps in my previous iPhones, thanks!

2 - then use google for voice searches

3 - Never had that problem

4 - Ok...

5 - I'm sorry, what are you running on your phone that you need a "faster" processor or just because ghtz!!!

9. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

faster processor on an already fast device, dumbest thing u can buy into

10. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I never cared about scratches, dents or physics defects until I got an iOS device. Why? Idk. All of that happens on every cell phone. I'd rather have a nice looking phone than a plastic play thing. I take good care of my things, and my iPhone 5 still has no physics defects after months without a case or screen protector. If you're prone to accidents just get a case.

11. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

man, nobody builds phones this way. Or any kind of consumer electronic, really. Apple isn't the only company making a device that might break when you drop it.

My roommate broke his Galaxy S4 last week by bumping something against it while in his pocket. My other roommate's gf shattered the screen on her mostly metal HTC Whatever from dropping it.

It's a nice sentiment to wish phones were more protected from drops. Nobody wants to break their phone. But it's just not realistic. I know plenty of people with naked iPhones who have no problems. I tell them to get a case, but hey :eek:

12. takeshi74, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

What's "reasonable"? Who defines it? It is is designed with reasonable usage in mind. Apple can't prevent all accidents and damage just as no manufacturer produces products that are completely impervious to damage. How do you objectively quantify reasonable?

Plenty of people use their devices naked without damage. If you feel that added protection is necessary then you need to take whatever precautions you think are appropriate. You can't just assume that a mass produced product should be tailored to suit your specific needs.

You talk about "reasonable" but this is completely unreasonable. What other products do you use that cannot be damaged? Damage isn't a thing of the past by a long shot. It's one of those ideas that sounds good on paper but no one else want to pay the premium for your damage proofing which isn't going to prevent all damage anyway. Everything can be damaged.

They aren't necessary. As they have always been, they are a matter of preference. You may find them necessary but your preference != "conventional wisdom".

Anyone can design the perfect product in their head and post about it on a forum. Actually designing and developing a product in the real world is an entirely different matter.

13. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

If nobody else is doing it, shouldn't Apple be the company to raise the bar?

iPhone was indisputably the best when it launched in 2007. The competition had come a long way since then and has arguably surpassed Apple in some ways. Apple has to differentiate and prove that it can still work magic even with Jobs gone.

Again, I'm not saying make iPhone invincible. Making it more scratch resistant and shock proof without compromising aesthetics would make a lot of buyers happier. Look at all the scratch and deny complaints here.