what iphone would you say was the best iphone ever released?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knockoutjosie, Oct 1, 2017.

1. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Very hard to decide.

The original iPhone obviously had the biggest leap in innovation as it permanently changed the smartphone industry.

The 4 had the biggest leap in design (IMO) and that retina screen was just unheard of in a phone before. 4S brought voice assistants to the mainstream.

The 5 was strangely the iPhone that got me to switch from Android, even though I didn’t think there was anything remarkable about it. 5S revolutionized how fingerprint scanners were implanted in smartphones, and of course started the 64 bit trend.

The 6 was awesome because it was so strange/cool to see an actual large iPhone. 6S was a powerhouse that still beats some 2017 flagship phones if I’m not mistaken.

The 8 has what may be my new favorite iPhone design, and the X is the first iPhone to truly introduce a new front design.

Like I said, hard for me to decide!

2. Damstr macrumors 6502

Hard to remember to be honest. I remember getting the iPhone 4 really blew me away with the retina display and metal/glass body.

3. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I like your insight into each. Just differ on the 4s. The 4 design was what ran me off from iOS for awhile. I think the 5 and 5s (specifically the 5s) is what kept me and I never looked back. The 7 May be the first iPhone that I keep longer then a year, which says a lot. I might need to update my rankings a bit.

4. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

5s
    6s
    4s
    8plus
    SE
    The rest can be tied for 6th place

6. craigio85 macrumors regular

The iPhone 4-series design has to take the crown - 4s having the edge due to the enhanced performance. I worked in a mobile phone shop in 2010-11 and that phone stood head and shoulders over everything else on sale at the time. The form was unique, it felt so premium in the hand and the OS had a level of refinement that no Android phone could match back then. It was selling alongside the Samsung Galaxy S and the HTC Desire - the latter was an awesome phone, which I owned, but it didn’t have the wow factor of the iPhone. There was just nothing on the market like it.

I never liked the 5-series for the simple reason that it got rid of the glass casing and it’s precisely because the iPhone 8 has restored it that it takes second place for me.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

For me it has to be the 4s - a refinement of the stunning design introduced with the 4.

Of the ranges, the original was beautiful and revolutionary

The 3G was a bit plain with the plastic back which had a tendency to crack

The 4 was stunning but things started to go downhill from there

the 5 series has an ugly back and the 6 design is functional but not particularly attractive and a bit boring. For me, the plus sizes are a bit too big having used one for nearly a year

The 8 series is more attractive with the glass back, but the X is possibly the ugliest iPhone IMO - I really, really don't like it!

8. solo118 macrumors 65816

I think the 4 blew everyone out of the water. At the time, the design, the retina screen and then siri on the 4S was simply insane. Right behind it I would say the 5S, which technically is kind of usable to this date. It received touch id, slow motion recording, 64 bit, and many other features.

9. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

4. 5s. 7+. Those are my top 3 in order. When the 4 came out I was an all-in android guy. When my buddy showed me that beautiful slab of glass and stainless steel band, I knew I was going to get one.

10. FoxD macrumors 6502

11. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

iPhone 4S by far.
    Best phone I've ever owned.
    Amazing photo quality, Siri was not perfect (still isn't) but it felt like it gave me a glimpse to the future, and THAT DESIGN - my gosh. Had the 3GS before it, and the screen blew me away, the feel of the device itself reminded me of heavy Bang and Olufsen remote control that felt 'premium'. Worth every penny that phone. Held on to it for 3 years.
    I still remember the iPhone 4S Christmas ad with people talking to Siri about Christmas request (ending with Santa asking Siri something). That was peak Apple for me. Not nerdy or weird, but super cool and fun, played well with the Christmas feel good spirit. I was proud to own an iPhone then. Got an iPad 2 to match too that year. The year of the cool Apple.

Now, I feel like a snob having a Canadian $1,200 iPhone 8 Plus, that could barely fit in my pocket, or my hands...and I only got it because that's what I need to get to get the best of Apple's features right now.

12. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I know I am late to the party, I'd vote for the rose gold iPhone 6S. Sturdier body with a pleasant feel. The color makes for a pleasing presentation with the white front.

13. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I think the iphone 4 just due to being iconic and game changing. The Gold iPhone 8+ is the best looking phone Apple has produced, IMO. I’ve got the space grey 8+ and am pretty sure I’m going to swap it for gold this weekend while I’m still in the 14 day window.

I’ve also got the iPhone 5 in slate as a favorite of mine. That was my first iPhone, and the only iPhone I’ve ever had for two years. I loved that thing, thought it was beautiful, and iOS 6 on the 5 was the smoothest iOS experience of all time.

14. Pineapple24 macrumors member

Pineapple24

Definitely the 4.

I like how the 4/4S is getting so many votes.

You should've seen this place when Gizmodo leaked it.... What a turnaround lol

15. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I liked 5. Lighter than the 4 series, great screen size, speed and battery.

16. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

My all purpose answer is . . . any model (or in this case models) that has just been released. And, more often than not, the one I don't have yet.

17. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

18. turbineseaplane macrumors 68030

turbineseaplane

1. 4s and SE are tied for me at #1
    2. iPhone 4

If picking simply on aesthetics, nothing has been as beautiful and wonderful in hand to me as the iPhone 4. I remember using it for the first time vividly. No iPhone since has elicited the same feeling for me.

19. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

the 4 launch was the biggest upgrade and amazing feeling having something totally different. The launch was a little rocky but for phones it was the best out of all the years imo.
    Iphone 3g was the biggest game changer with the App Store so id put that second best.
    iPhone 6 6+ launch was the biggest for new age iPhones but since then the 6s,7s,8 haven't been anything to care much about. Not that feeling of getting your hands on a iPhone 4 back in 2010 not even close.
    The x launch will be the biggest change since iPhone 6 launch.

3g
    6/6+
    X

I dont think the S lines have been anything too wonderful honestly. so ill leave those out. Sure they are faster usually but nothing that you can say changed feeling as the normal launch cycles.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    agree. The 4 just felt like something wayyy different. I haven't had that feeling for a phone since then.

20. jakontil macrumors member

jakontil

I’d have bought 4s with Lighting port right now

21. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Did you read what you just posted ?

You are really saying that in 2010 (when the iPhone 4 was launched) the competition was still catching up with the original iPhone ?

Lol.

Man, in 2010 the original iPhone was a piece of crap.
    I mean really dude, it had a 2mp camera, 2g antenna, crappy 320px screen, mono speaker, no video capabilities, no auto focus, no GPS and so on.

I admit the iPhone 4 was advanced for it's time but what you posted regarding the competition catching up with the original iPhone in 2010 is non sense. Quite a funny statement, actually.

22. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Don’t forget the software side of the device, Android was pretty crap in its early days.

23. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

When Gizmodo leaked it, they didnt say how solid and dense it felt in the hand (which was the magic of the design)
    They also tore it apart.

24. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Agreed.

Most of us know that Android was made for devices with a hardware keyboard, 1.0 didn't have a software keyboard lol.

When the Android team saw the iPhone they modified the OS to be compatible with a touch interface.

So Android in the early days had some sort of identity crisis.

But let's not forget that iPhone OS 1 missed a lot of basic features as well.

25. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

1) 4S. This phone, combined with the iPad 2, was probably peak Apple in terms of design and setting trends
    2) 5S. Touch ID, payments, good design
    3) 6S. Improved colors, great performance, 3D Touch
    4) 3GS. Improved speed and usability
    5) Original
    6) 6 and 6+ - Bigger screens
    7) 7. Much better camera Camera in Plus, Jet Black
    8) 8. Improvement on 7, Glass back, wireless charging. Improvements, not groundbreaking
    9) 5. All this phone really did was make the screen taller, right?

As you can tell, I really like S models