What is 1lb, in the grand scheme of things?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elleana, Jul 10, 2010.

1. elleana macrumors regular

Well, and a little bulk I guess. The 13" is such a nice size (was originally thinking of MBA but, nah) but the 15" screen, is really tempting. All for an additional weight of 1.1lbs!

To those who have (or have used) both the 13" and 15" models, is the added weight and bulk worth it? I'll be using it for work (have a 27" i7 iMac at home for everything else) and I will be lugging it around a fair bit - to clients' offices, as well as to and from work from time to time. Won't be doing anything intensive except heavy document editing so the C2D v i5 debate is mostly moot. That screen real estate is what I'm concerned about.

Budget isn't really a factor, as it'll be (mostly) paid for by work.

2. sadcamper macrumors regular

For me, the 15" provides the option of of a matte screen...that's the biggest advantage in my books. If you already have a performance desktop at home, the i5 advantage seems less tempting in the grand scheme of things. That glossy screen though...*sigh*.

3. elleana thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, definitely not concerned with the i5. I keep reading about people raving about the matte screen - is it really that big a deal. I am quite happy with the glossy screen of my iMac. Besides, won't a matte screen protector help things? I have one on my iPad and it does its job.

Extra question - what is the real world difference between "10 hours" and "8-9 hours"?

4. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I have the AG screen for my 15" and I love it. I never had a MPB prior so I can't compare to how I would've liked a glossy though. I think if you're getting your MPB as your primary computer get the 15". I view a 13" as a great companion device if you're on-the-go and connect to a more powerful desktop at home.

I don't think weight is a factor as much as screen size and I think the 13" is fine if you just need something to display stuff to clients. If you really want to 'wow' people just hook it up to a projector. You can also save money by getting the base 13"

I think the only debate is if the 13" is worth it's own cost for its current set of components and thats awhole new thread.

5. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

6. Don Nguyen macrumors member

1lb doesn't sound like much, but it is. If something is only ~5lbs, 1lb is a 20% increase in weight. Just imagine road bikers who spend thousands of dollars to lighten their bikes just a couple of ounces here and there.

It's a noticeable weight increase. However, it shouldn't be a deciding factor. If you really needed it, the extra weight is bearable.

That said, I have a 17" MBP :)

-Don

7. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

YES

about 1-2 hours:D

8. sadcamper macrumors regular

Expect something more like 5-6 hours on the 15"...can't attest to the 13". The advertised hours are highly unlikely unless you just turn the computer on and leave it without working on it.

9. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I can tell you the 1lb and the size difference makes a lot of difference between my AG 15" and my girlfriends 13".

That said, the 15" offered the options I wanted (mainly 1680x1050), while the 13" was just "ok."

10. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Pretty sure that 8 cups of molten lead is heavier than a pound :)

The size difference is not trivial. I used to have a 15" Powerbook G4 (aluminum body style) and switched to the 13" MBP when I upgraded. IMHO the 13" is much more portable. 1 lb is about 20% difference in total weight, which is not insignificant. Even though the dimensions look similar, the reduced bulk really goes a long ways towards ease of transport.

Ruahrc

11. Brickwall macrumors newbie

Good way to look at it! But I always chuckle when I (220lbs and not that tall) go into a bike shop and a salesman tries to sell me on something that is 10 grams lighter and 2x the price. I know that I just need to lose about 50 lbs and not worry about the components I'm riding:)

12. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I put a hard case on my 13" and even though it was about 1 more pound, I found it to be a little too heavy for what I wanted so I just threw away the case...

13. Gakboi macrumors regular

Depends really. Is the OP going to be lugging his mbp up alpine passes on his/her own steam?... then weight might be the deciding factor. Otherwise I'd defo go for the 15". I have one and it's perfect for working on documents on the move (ideal trade off between weight and screen size). I think 13" would be a bit small for spreadsheets and the like but as I've never owned one I wouldn't take my word as gospel. The 17" is too big for my liking. A bit clunky for schlepping around all the time.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Unless the mobility/size is of an utmost importance to you, the 15" MBP is in my humble opinion a far better machine.

15. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I am pretty sure, there are only 2 cups in a pint.

16. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

17. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

You would be right, I miskeyed on the stupid inverse 10 key on the work computer.