What is a better choice for a DVD player other than the built in one?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WizardHunt, Sep 5, 2007.

1. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Hi
    I am looking for a better DVD player that does more, not just a basic unit such as the one that is built into mac. Any ideas out there? Also if you have a link to it would be cool. But at least tell me the one you found and I will google it. Thanks so much.

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Can you be a little more specific about the extra features you are looking for?

3. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Aside from LightScribe, the DVD drives that Apple includes on new computers does pretty much anything "other" drives do. What else are you exactly looking for?

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I think he was asking about the DVD Player application, not the physical drive. That said, I'm not sure what he's wanting it to do.

I use DVD Player to play DVDs. It works.

5. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

personally i don't use the dvd player that ships with the mac, i find VLC pretty good, plays near enough every video format that quicktime can't play.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If you are talking about the built in DVD drive it does pretty much everything. If you are talking about the software VLC is what you are after.

7. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Well I am looking for more features. Maybe it is because I can't find them in the built in player. It seems so basic to me , I did not see any next chapter button, and I am use to players like intervideo WINDVD and it has everything, like capture frame , to any controls you want. I figured that Apple or someone out there would have a better player or one at least easier to use. I will check out VLC, but are there any more?

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

VLC is the best option. It is lightweight and compact. Also it will play just about any video codec out there.

9. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

You know there's a little control panel thingey, right? It's got all those buttons on it. Try hitting "Esc" during playback.

10. keirmeister macrumors newbie

I feel your pain Wizard. I'm a recent convert, and I wish there was something better for the Mac.

On the PC, I pretty much used PowerDVD exclusively. The basic Mac DVD Player or VLC don't come close to that.

But for now...I guess it's just the basic DVD Player. :(