What is a better choice for a DVD player other than the built in one?

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Hi
I am looking for a better DVD player that does more, not just a basic unit such as the one that is built into mac. Any ideas out there? Also if you have a link to it would be cool. But at least tell me the one you found and I will google it. Thanks so much.

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
I think he was asking about the DVD Player application, not the physical drive. That said, I'm not sure what he's wanting it to do.

I use DVD Player to play DVDs. It works.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
personally i don't use the dvd player that ships with the mac, i find VLC pretty good, plays near enough every video format that quicktime can't play.

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hi
I am looking for a better DVD player that does more, not just a basic unit such as the one that is built into mac. Any ideas out there? Also if you have a link to it would be cool. But at least tell me the one you found and I will google it. Thanks so much.
If you are talking about the built in DVD drive it does pretty much everything. If you are talking about the software VLC is what you are after.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
If you are talking about the built in DVD drive it does pretty much everything. If you are talking about the software VLC is what you are after.
Well I am looking for more features. Maybe it is because I can't find them in the built in player. It seems so basic to me , I did not see any next chapter button, and I am use to players like intervideo WINDVD and it has everything, like capture frame , to any controls you want. I figured that Apple or someone out there would have a better player or one at least easier to use. I will check out VLC, but are there any more?

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Well I am looking for more features. Maybe it is because I can't find them in the built in player. It seems so basic to me , I did not see any next chapter button, and I am use to players like intervideo WINDVD and it has everything, like capture frame , to any controls you want. I figured that Apple or someone out there would have a better player or one at least easier to use. I will check out VLC, but are there any more?
VLC is the best option. It is lightweight and compact. Also it will play just about any video codec out there.

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
You know there's a little control panel thingey, right? It's got all those buttons on it. Try hitting "Esc" during playback.

keirmeister

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
I feel your pain Wizard. I'm a recent convert, and I wish there was something better for the Mac.

On the PC, I pretty much used PowerDVD exclusively. The basic Mac DVD Player or VLC don't come close to that.

But for now...I guess it's just the basic DVD Player. :(