What is a Brand New Never Used Ibook G4 1.2Ghz Laptop Worth?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by maclover7777, Aug 2, 2009.

1. maclover7777 macrumors newbie

I was curious what you all thought the worth of a Brand New Never Used and Never touched Ibook G4 1.2Ghz laptop would be.?

Any input appreciated.
    Just curious as I have access and not sure what I should offer? for sure?

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Is it sealed in original packaging? That would make a difference. Either way, the machine is still outdated. I wouldn't expect to get more than maybe $300 - $500 for it.

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The still factory sealed element is worth some money to the right collector, who will leave it in that condition. Finding that person may take some time...

5. the vj macrumors 6502a

Yeap, no more than $500.

I am typing in a 12" powerbook 1.5Ghz witch is almost identical in funcionality.

It is good for the internet, office, skype and those things. If you are going to school it will do just fine.

It is not good for gaming, for extensive video editing or after effects.

Logic will run there but not the latest version that just came out.

It has 32MB of Video ram.

If is in perfect conditions it will be an amazing secondary computer.

Again, I have 3 12" powerbook, I haven't update them in 2 years, I am running 10.4.11 and I only update quicktime and those sort of things and they are great.

I have mine, my mother has one and my girlfriend the other one.

Check the batery, I bet is already gone if it was never charged.

6. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I agree with techound1 here.
    You have to find someone who collects NIB Macs.
    Just be sure to never open/use the box/Mac, collectors are really picky with that. :D

7. omarjk macrumors regular

The website mac2sell.net give a rather pessimistic (seller's point if view) I find.

8. AMessy macrumors member

If you are purchasing this just for fun i'd say $500 would be the max that it is worth.

If you are thinking of using this as your main computer i'd pass and just put the money towards a macbook.

9. sbb155 macrumors 6502

worthless really for practical purposes (<350 $)

10. maclover7777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.
    It is not in the box. It comes only with the computer and has the liner inbetween the keyboard and LCD.

I have had the same book for two years and loved it for my purposes. As well would like to give to my daughter and son.

I was not sure what if how much I should think to pay.

I think the 350 is quite accurate. If you do not do the video stuff and any big stuff like that the little laptops like this can be great.

My older son has the macbook and it does not do much more for me..

Anyway.> Thanks again...
    I do though like to max out ram for speed. It makes a good difference. Thats about it.

Oh they did open it up to load it with OS X 10.5.7

THANKS again!

11. maclover7777 thread starter macrumors newbie

PS another reason I felt it was worth buying is that I have had some BAD luck buying a used computer.
    It sure is frustrating to buy something on ebay or such and then get the item and oppps they forgot to mention the screen is all blotchy and they say to you.. just clean it off.. Yikes...or they "forgot" to include the disks and charger.. or oppss "it started up fine when I shipped it"

It sure can be frustrating and I have had some bad experiences...

12. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I bought the same computer used but in good condition in 2007 for $400. I wouldn't pay more than $300 at this point... I'd rather have a netbook. It's a great on-the-go laptop but it is definitely outdated. On the other hand, most Apple laptops until Intel has laughable processors so yeah.

13. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

ibook still keeping on.

I have an ibook and a macbook. I think the ibook is a great little system and use both machines regularly. :)

14. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

I had this computer as well, and I loved it!

It was stolen though, when somebody broke into our appartment. I got an ok refund from the insurance company, but all my docs, photos etc. from about two years are gone. shhh. :mad: ( they took the backup drive as well...)

Perfect machine IMHO, especially the screen had it's advantages over the modern, widescreens in regard to writing documents.

but nevertheless, any computer afterwards ( macbook 13", mpb 17") topped it's precessors in awesomeness...

I would keep it as a secondary computer.

15. California macrumors 68040

California

I'd pay 325 for it.

Then I'd add ram, bluetooth, new hard drive and superdrive to it.

It's a pretty good lappie. Doublecheck to make sure it comes with Airport card installed -- some of them did not have them even when new.

VERY NICE to have a brand new old stock iBook.

The 12" form factor is worth every cent.