What is a 'Danger Hiptop' and why's is dominating my web stats?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by decksnap, Jan 29, 2010.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Is this just an odd name for something obvious?

Attached Files:

2. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Let me rephrase the question... what more common browser/system could google be mistakenly thinking is a Danger Hiptop? There's no way in hell that many people on 'Hiptops' are visiting this particular site.

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

According to the wiki page there are at least 8 devices in the industry since 2008 alone that use that name in the user-agent information sent by the client to the web server. If you're not aware, a user-agent string contains name, vender version and other information to identify the client. When devices are sold or copied or re-manufactured or even upgraded often manufacturers don't both changing the user-agent string. Or, they have a legal obligation to keep the name consistent for branding purposes or other technical reasons.

And on top of all this, anyone can spoof a user-agent string, i.e. I could visit your site with FireFox but your web server will think I'm using Chrome, or Danger Hiptop or my real name if I felt like it. This is not to say a gang of hackers is going around spoofing your server, it's just a technical exploit so don't read too much into these things sometimes.

I gathered much of the information for this response using Google, just like miles01110 did to assist you earlier. hint hint. :cool:

-jim

4. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Thanks guys. I ask direct questions when I don't have the time to go digging through google. You don't have to respond. :)

I'm still not sure what device or batch of devices is really giving me these numbers, unless this is like the string for generic nokia browsers or something. The numbers don't add up.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

So you're using us as your Google search, thanks. If you have time to worry about it, you have time to research it. We're not your secretary.

6. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

You're right! Why would I post a web dev question in a web dev forum? That's crazy. Let's all go to google and shut this section down.

Tough week guys?

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No, good week actually. We just don't like people trying to use us for something you're perfectly capable of doing yourself. In the time you took to create the thread, you could have found your answer. It's just a user-agent string. Nothing else we can tell you based on what you told us. If there's anything more to it, we won't be able to tell you anything because it would involve looking at your actual web logs, track down the IP address of those accesses to see if they are all from the same person or not, and see how often they are occurring.

8. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

You could have found this with less than 2 seconds of searching but the Danger Hiptop is sold in the US as the T-Mobile Sidekick.

9. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Give me a break. If you don't want to help somebody out, don't! But don't crap all over threads because you feel put out after voluntarily taking the time to reply. This is a place to, among other things, ask and answer questions, and help other people- on a level that is usually more personal, immediate, and informative than googling things. If the question is too 'easy' for you, don't bother replying. You'll feel less 'used' that way.

10. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Immediately after my initial response (#4) you said, "I'm still not sure what device or batch of devices is really giving me these numbers, unless this is like the string for generic nokia browsers or something. The numbers don't add up."

Point 1: I explained that at least 8 devices use that user-agent and noted it came from the wiki page which lists the actual devices

Point 2: I explained user-agent strings can be generic and spoofed

So why are you still not sure? Just because the numbers are so high?

Actually, alot of people browse the web using mobile devices these days so webmasters will see things like this far more often than they did in even the recent past. So I'm not too surprised at all you're seeing it.

As to your tirade about replying or not, you're out of line. But your question has been asked and answered, in depth.

11. needlnerdz macrumors regular

needlnerdz

damn.. at first i thought you guys were beating up on him, but then I saw the comment about 'not having time to search on google'... soo it was deserved.. NEVERTHELESS - a nice explanation was written up throughout the thread- sooo we can only hope that the next person who takes the time to google this 'danger hiptop', will stumble across the thread and solve their problem too. while the question was answered almost immediately with the link to a google search - i have to agree with the notion proposed that if the thread's OP sounds lazy.. just don't reply.. an unanswered thread will likely force them to do their google searching..?

i'll have to try using google to see if this already exists.. but why not just reply with a simple UGD - which you can use your imagination for what the letters stand for.. reminiscent of RTFM

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Except that rarely happens, especially with people like the OP who expect people to spoon-feed them. People like this fail to realize that the first step to getting help is helping themselves. Not only would googling give the OP an answer faster, it would have saved him the trouble of arguing with people telling him how to solve his own problems.

13. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

My final comment, then I'm movin' on:

Exactly.

There is a difference between a simple "what is [fill in the blank]?" vs. seeking scripting help or feedback on a site, etc. I have no problems finding definitions for people who say, "I could not find out what [fill in the blank] means [or does]". Some of us have more experience than others and know the correct Google terms to use in the first place to find the information faster, so such queries are welcomed and understandable.

But in this case, based on their comments, the OP showed utter laziness from the outset by not searching on a simple term. Then then said they had no time which demonstrated, to me, rudeness. I mean that in context to being posted on a support forum of all places where folks like those in this thread work hard to help others whenever possible. I'm sure the OP and likely others disagree, but that's how some of us feel, TBH.

On a side note, the OP's web stats only involved less than 6000 or so visits, give or take a few. Statistically, about 1/3 of those came from the wireless browsers, but overall 6k worth of data isn't a large dataset to draw finite conclusions. Only 20 users visiting 10 pages a couple of times a month could generate close to 50% of the Danger Hiptop stats, for example. Like I said before, don't worry too much about it, OP, and I'm not saying this to quiet the conversation or anything... statistically, it's nothing surprising in my opinion.

You should install more analytics if you don't got 'em already so you can see the referrers and session duration times for those Nokia users to see what they're doing to help you analyze in more depth why they visit.

'Nuff said.

-jim