Price Advice What is a fair price to pay for a Late 2011 17 in.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alexp77, Feb 14, 2014.

1. alexp77 macrumors newbie

Feb 14, 2014
    I'm looking to upgrade from my current late 2010 13 in MacBook Pro, which has the last of the core due 2's. I find that I'd like some more speed and increased screen size. I've looked at the new line up and simply cannot affored the new 15 in. So I started looking into the last edition 17 in. models. I found some in the 1300-1500 dollar range. I have been looking at models with i7 2.66 Ghz processor, with around 8 GB ram, and a AMD Radeon HD 6770M. I would most likely upgrade the ram to 16 GB and throw in a SSD. I'm aso interested in getting the high res matte display. I would also take a 15 in. with similar specs. My question is as to what is a fair price to pay for a model like this? I also want to know how many years are left for a computer like this before it is completely outdated? Thanks for any and all help.
  2. leman macrumors G3

Oct 14, 2008
    Just think about this: if you pay $1500 for it and add 16GB RAM and a 512Gb SSD, you are looking at around $2050 total price. Thats for a computer without a warranty. For that money, you can get a refurb retina with the same RAM/SSD capacity - with full warranty and better specs. I would say that under these circumstances, paying gore then $1000 for the laptop is not reasonable.