Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gottalaugh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Oz
Hi all,

Just over a year ago I made the life-transforming change from Microsoft to Macs :D .....I am still amazed that I didn't do this years earlier !!

Anyway, stupid me then started using Entourage for mail (there's a LOT to be said re; the advantages of making a clean-break) & recently it crashed & I lots 12 months of important business corro etc :mad: .

Soooooo, I am now determined to rid MS from my life completely, and would really appreciate some advice on what mail software to use.
I'm on a limited budget at the moment (thanks to the iPod mini :p ) so don't want to break the bank.

"An Apple a day keeps Windows away !!" :p

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
If all you need is a client mail application. Then I can mention 2 free alternatives. Mail.app is simple and nice. Thunderbird from the Mozilla Foundation is also good, or so I hear.

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
gottalaugh said:
Soooooo, I am now determined to rid MS from my life completely, and would really appreciate some advice on what mail software to use.
I'm on a limited budget at the moment (thanks to the iPod mini :p ) so don't want to break the bank.

If all you want to do is email then the apple mail client that comes with Panther is pretty good. Mozilla Thunderbird is also nice. These are both free. If you want fully integrated schedule and contact management iCal integrates nicely with Apple Mail; again this is free.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Mail.app is very very nice. Best mail porgram ever. I have to use outlook(PC) at work, and i don't like it. Its to busy. Mail is simple and clean.

iBert

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
I have used both Mail and Thunderbird. They are both awesome. I use Thunderbird on any Windows I touch and my Linux server. Mail on both my PB and G5. They are pretty easy to setup and use. Although i liked ThunderBird a little more on just how things can be setup. But using Mail on my Macs. As for the server on the subject line of the thread, what do you want to do? Do you want to run your own email server?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
And if you need a mail-server and you don't have Mac OS X server, you can try Postfix which is a "standard" unix mail-server. It doesn't have a gui that I'm aware of, so you'll have to use the command-line. Here's a Postfix on OSX guide

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Another vote here for Thunderbird, I use it on my PC and my PB. I don't care much for Mail.app it is missing some KEY features, like the ability to subscribe/unsubscribe to IMAP folders.

iBert

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
Celeron said:
Another vote here for Thunderbird, I use it on my PC and my PB. I don't care much for Mail.app it is missing some KEY features, like the ability to subscribe/unsubscribe to IMAP folders.

What are you trying to subscribe to? Not sure if I understand this ability. But I have a couple of emails that I use IMAP, for example my .Mac address and 2 others.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I referring to the ability to show and hide certain IMAP folders. For example, my mail server happens to be an Exchange server so it has certain folders, such at "Public Folders" that I don't want to show up in my folder list, nor do I want to check these folders for new messages.

There is no way to make Mail.app not display these folders. Deleting them is NOT an option. Both Thunderbird and fricken Outlook Express support this incredible simplistic feature.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I am giving mail a shot righ tnow, because it is an iApp so I figure it integreates well into other iApps...but I am close to switching to Thunderbird. I use it on my Wndows PC. It's terrific and it hasn't hit 1.0 yet.

Mike

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
kirk26 said:
Entourage is still the best out there, sorry.

I think that sort of depends. For the office I love the new project center feature of Entourage, so I use that for my mail client (to an IMAP) server. If all you want to do is connect to an IMAP or POP3 server it tends to be overkill.

The biggest problem with Entourage is that once your messages go in, they never come back out ... at lesat not so any other mail client can ever read them.

Sneeper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
San Francisco
Celeron said:

Yikes! I never noticed it was missing that ability. THat's strangely absent. I can't even find a plugin to do that.

It's not a problem for me since I can use webmail to subscribe/unsubscribe if I want to change them. But not everyone has an alternate means. Maybe Mail.app for Tiger will have this feature. hmm

iBert

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
OK, Celeron. I know what you mean now. I was wondering why does folders showed. HAHAHAHA

I have those folders you talk about.

68k_575

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2002
If you need to do heavy-duty business emailing, Microsoft is unfortunately your only choice.:( They drove all the competing products out of business years and years ago.

iBert

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
68k_575 said:
If you need to do heavy-duty business emailing, Microsoft is unfortunately your only choice.:( They drove all the competing products out of business years and years ago.

What do you mean by heavy-duty emailing? I know of a place that still use Eudora as the email client. Not sure if to disclose the name of such place. But trust me, when my girlfriend told that is what she was using during her intership summer 2003. I was shocked. I think THunderbird can be used for heavy-duty emailing, even Mail.app. But it all depends on the persons preference.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
I'm trying to use Mail, but I don't know how to do it at all!! :confused: I'm trying to connect this program with yahoo. Is that possible? I need like pop and stmp addresses or something, does anyone know what it is and how to set up mail with yahoo?

thanks

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
dorqiekat said:
I'm trying to use Mail, but I don't know how to do it at all!! :confused: I'm trying to connect this program with yahoo. Is that possible? I need like pop and stmp addresses or something, does anyone know what it is and how to set up mail with yahoo?

thanks
If Yahoo is your ISP, then you can go to their support pages and find the right pop and stmp addresses. If it's Yahoo webmail, then you may be SOL.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
kanker said:
If Yahoo is your ISP, then you can go to their support pages and find the right pop and stmp addresses. If it's Yahoo webmail, then you may be SOL.
Correction. POP3 used to be a free service w/ Yahoo webmail. But sometime in the 2nd millenium, they started charging for the service. If you're using the service before they made the change, you will not be charged for the service. Yahoo webmail acct can be accessed using any email client using POP3. If you're a SBC/Yahoo customer, the service is free. If not, $20/year.
68k_575 said:
If you need to do heavy-duty spamming, Microsoft is unfortunately your only choice.
Fixed. Actually, MS's not the only company that makes software that can do group mail.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
68k_575 said:

Yep, only the best!

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Free Yahoo POP mail.

YahooPops is a program that enables the viewing of your web yahoo mail into an external mail reader (outlook, mail...etc), for free.

there is a Mac OS 10.1 version, but it should work with 10.3. You will also have to complie the source code yourself. (comes with all the ingredients... just need to mix em!)

any problems, there is a fairly active forum on the site, and an in-depth FAQ.

http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/index.php

gottalaugh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Oz
Thunderbird are GO !!!

Thanks everyone for the advice - I'm gonna take a closer look at Thunderbird - may be a good start anyway :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.