What is a reasonable charge for this kind of repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by east85, Jan 24, 2014.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I have a 2008 Aluminum MacBook. Anyways, nothing major is wrong with it but aesthetically there are some unsightly fractures developing in the clutch cover (the plastic piece over the hinge), which I have already purchased and laying around. I've looked through ifixit and I'm fairly sure I'm uncomfortable with the level of work required to replace it personally.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Are you wanting Apple or a third-party shop to do this? Replacing the clutch isn't all that hard but the display assembly must be partially removed.

3. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Definitely a local shop. I know the best solution would obviously be to call them, but I can't help but wonder what people here would consider reasonable for this type of repair job. I really don't feel like getting ripped off naturally. If it weren't for the requirement of partially removing the display assembly I would do this, no doubt about it.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Since you own the part you should only be paying for an hour of work plus tax and fees. It doesn't take long to do at all. Look at the hourly rate and add $25.00 as a buffer for taxes and any additional fees the shop may charge. And also ask them for a quote on the repair in writing.

5. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

I was thinking an hour would have been about right. Thanks!

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

My local shop charges $35.00 an hour plus a repair fee. But that is entirely depending on their pricing scheme.

7. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Expect around $100 for a third party repair job.

Nothing overly challenging with this repair. Work slow, methodical, make plenty of notes, and always, always remove the battery first.