What is absolute?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Bobdude161, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Besides the vodka brand, what is absolute in our world that cannot be written on paper (physics, mathematics, etc), but is lived in this life? Is it that there are no absolutes? What remains true throughout all time and all cultures? Where do you get the idea that something is absolute or not? I'm a Christian so you know my stance, but I'm curious to what others believe. Not so much for debate, but just for you throw it out there.

I'm going to say this now so no one can say it before me, "Only Sith deal in absolutes". There I said it, now you can't mention it! So you'll just have to post something that's relavant now. ;)

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If killing isn't absolutely wrong all the time (self-defense, war, etc.), then it's hard for me to think of what is absolute. Most things are situational, that's why we have courts and such. Some might say cheating on your husband/wife is absolutely wrong, I suppose. But I'm sure someone can come up with an exception for that too.

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I don't think anything is absolute except for the natural forces and workings of nature, whether we can explain them or not. Those forces many not even be absolute, we could lose gravity in 5 seconds.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

There really isn't anything absolute, only that which appears absolute within our ability to perceive and understand the nature of the universe.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The forms spoke about in greek philosophy seem to me like they would be considered "absolutes".

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Was gonna post this :).

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

change. change and death are always there.
    I love this little bit from a book I dead.

all that you touch you change
    all that you change changes you
    the only lasting truth is change.
    god is change.

9. Motley macrumors 6502

Entropy

Damn, how'd I'd miss it already being posted?!

10. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Not really an absolute, but I do like the way you think. Heartwarming! :)

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Killing is not only not absolutely wrong in some situations, it's the absolute right thing to do in some.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Exactly what I was going to say.

Actually, scratch that, the feeling of love.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What do you mean by 'absolute'? :confused:

If something will always exist, is it considered absolute if its significance or size diminishes and grows stronger at various times??

Love is absolute in our world because it will always exist in our lives, but it is not constant for each individual towards any particular person.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Actually, there are Christians who have a variety of opinions on this matter. What is your stance?

I don't know if you want to call it an "absolute" but I think that in every situation, one should not deliberately seek to cause suffering in others as the sole motivation behind their actions. Then again, one might deprive an heroin addict of heroin--thus causing a great deal of short term suffering but yet in the long run relieving even greater suffering for that person later on.

Yet, even in that case the *purpose* wasn't to cause suffering for the addict.

I'm getting a headache now. :)

15. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

What is absolutely crazy is how the original post was edited 8 years ago.