What is actually needed to run HS on a Mac Pro 3.1?

donluca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward getting a Mac Pro 3.1 as a backup machine if my 4.1->5.1 Mac Pro with High Sierra fails.

What do I need to do in order to have the Mac OS installation working seamlessly on both my flashed 4.1 and the 3.1?

Thanks!

EDIT: and while we're at it... are there any significant differences between a Mac Pro 3.0 and a 3.1?

donluca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Italy

Besides, this is what I feared, which means that I'll have to spend almost 3x to get a Mac Pro 4.1 or 5.1.

Hopefully @dosdude1 will chime in, although he's really busy with Catalina stuff.

That thread has a huge amount of information spread among 185 pages with most of it being "just use the patcher" without indication if just a -no-compat-check nvram flag would suffice or if extra drivers/hacks are needed and whether if they'll conflict with a 4.1/5.1.

LuisN

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal

Besides, this is what I feared, which means that I'll have to spend almost 3x to get a Mac Pro 4.1 or 5.1.

Hopefully @dosdude1 will chime in, although he's really busy with Catalina stuff.

That thread has a huge amount of information spread among 185 pages with most of it being "just use the patcher" without indication if just a -no-compat-check nvram flag would suffice or if extra drivers/hacks are needed and whether if they'll conflict with a 4.1/5.1.
That 3.0 is part of the serial number that follows: 3.0_8CX... nothing to do with model number.
@dosdude1 patcher doesn't patch anything until you install post-installation patches (wich you don't want to do)
@dosdude patcher installs a vanilla macOS unless you install the post install patches.
I advise you to make an hs installation in an external disk in MP 3,1 and try to boot it in MP 4,1/5,1
just to be sure.

FYI @dosdude1 patcher let's you download the OS an you can select the model of your Mac when installing the patches.
To make things easier, go here: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

Last edited:

donluca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Uhm ok, I'll try and get a 3.1 for cheap and then make a backup of all my data and try applying the 3.1 patches.

I don't really care for stuff like wireless or bluetooth as long as ethernet and USB ports work.

jbarley

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

FYI:
I can confirm that MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra running on my MacPro3,1 using dosdudes installer loads and runs just fine on my MacPro4,1/5,1.
Did this very thing last night, booted the MP5,1 from High Sierra on the MP3,1 using FireWire target disk mode. Then I CCCloned the install to a freshly formatted SSD on the MP5,1 and it boots and runs without a hitch.
If anything it is even more responsive and a joy to use.

Reactions: donluca

donluca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Thank you so much for confirming this! I'll definitely go and get the Mac Pro 3.1!

Now, the only thing I need to understand is how to do this on my existing installation of High Sierra. I guess I just have to run the post-install patch on my Mac Pro 5.1 and select "Mac Pro 3.1" before putting the disk on the Mac Pro 3.1 and that would be it?

Last edited: