'What is Aleppo?' - Gary Johnson blows an interview

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Sep 8, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Stunning stunning interview this morning. When asked on Morning Joe what he would do about Aleppo, Gary Johnson didn't even know what that word meant! Totally oblivious that it was ground zero in Syria's humanitarian crisis.

He tried to clean it up after the interview by talking about another city that he once had never heard about. Not helping!

Republicans who were considering voting for him are already beside themselves this morning not knowing who they can vote for now. The Morning Joe set is in chaos over this. Joe Scarborough is NOT happy.

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/gary-johnson-asks-what-is-aleppo-760358979962

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd have given @KarlJay's left testicle to have heard Matt Lauering the Bar ask that of Trump last night.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yep, all candidates including both Trump and Hillary should be asked the tough questions. This also assumes they don't have a team remotely giving them the answers.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Aleppo? Without a doubt, my favorite Marx brother.

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

For a free trade advocate, he sure knows little about the world in which the trade impacts?

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

If he spent more time paying attention rather than getting high he might have nailed that question. Johnson isn't a libertarian he's just another leftist and his little gun grabbing VP too.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Matt did not want to put Mr Trust in an uncomfortable position? Those are the kind of questions that represent a mine field for unprepared candidates. Everything said (last night) by Hillary displayed an indepth knowledge based on decades of experience. Trust's answers in comparison were simplistic at best, the most ludicrous was take the oil, almost funny if this was not for real.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    If ear pieces are allowed to prop up a candidate, they should clearly be disallowed. Plus one for Hillary. :)

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So Gary Johnson's campaign implodes when he doesn't know what Aleppo is but Trump gets a pass on not knowing his buddy Putin invaded Crimea. Sad how low the bar is for Trump.

10. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Grading on a curve! Being a reality show star comes with perks!

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Corporate owned media just trying to protect their corporate owned candidates.

Gary blew this, but not because he didn't know where Aleppo is. He blew it because it was the perfect opportunity to call out these media hacks on their ignoring our problems here in favor of **** in a sandbox halfway around the world.

He should have responded with "Who cares? I'm running for President of the US, not Syria. We need to solve our problems here first. Let Syria fix their own ****."

Aleppo and the rest of those hell holes should be the least of our concerns when places like Flint still have poisoned water and we have bridges that are literally crumbling.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Presumably if he has no idea what a Leppo is, he isn't going to know that Syria has one either.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I wonder what he knows of the Island of Lesbos.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how many of you knew what Aleppo was w/o googling in?
    [​IMG]

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Without Googling, it's an ancient city in Syria that was referenced in Shakespeare's Othello. For the last four years, the city has been a holdout and has been hammered by shells and bombs from the Syrian military under Assad.

Until Johnson's gaffe, the city was referenced as the city under siege. An indelible image of this siege is the portrait of Omran Daqneesh, who was photographed sitting in an ambulance, dazed and bloody after rescuer workers—known as white helmets—pulled him out of the rubble of a building.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You had me at hello ....!!!

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Are you cheating on your man?!? If I see you two at In-n-Out, I'm calling TMZ! :p :D

BL.

18. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

ya. and it was the capital of a place which had tremendous influence on the hellenistic world and philosophy back when ancient greece was the epicenter of innovation, thought, and deductive reasoning

honestly it does make gary j look bad...but what looks bad these days is subjective
    can only thank god for that

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I just wrote down whatever came to mind in connection with Aleppo from the old chum bucket.

Johnson made a mistake and it's likely that he's got a better handle on Syria than this, but it speaks to a certain constant ignorance that seems present among libertarians.

The non-interventionists look to zoom back to 90,000 feet so all the details get smudged and they can just decry the region as a singular problem, making granular stuff like the name of a major city far less important.

20. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Hillary’s newspaper of record, the Hill York Times, had no idea either. TWO corrections. Haha. :p

‘What Is Aleppo?’ Gary Johnson Asks, in an Interview Stumble

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/us/politics/gary-johnson-aleppo.html

[...]

Correction: September 8, 2016
    An earlier version of this article misidentified the de facto capital of the Islamic State. It is Raqqa, in northern Syria, not Aleppo.

Correction: September 8, 2016
    An earlier version of the above correction misidentified the Syrian capital as Aleppo. It is Damascus.​

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's a cheap shot.

22. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Gary Johnson: “What’s Allepo?”

Hillary Clinton: “City besieged by my and Obama’s al-Qaeda.”

Gary Johnson: “Jill Stein and I are both very antiwar.”

Hillary Clinton: “Let me just finish by mentioning Putin again.”

23. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He just didn't know the location of Aleppo, he didn't know what Aleppo even was or meant. Like he was hearing the word for the very first time in his life. Can't really respond the way you want if he doesn't even know what the conversation is about! Totally disqualifing. I've said it with Trump, and I will say it here too: President of the United States is not an entry level job.

This was every bit as bad as Rick Perry's oops moment, if not worse.

I did. Have for years. Some of us pay attention to world events.

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

better than some right news sources which straight lie though
    you don't even need to be paying 100% attention either. just passively listening about it and you'd know. anyway kind of disappointed in gary j. not because he necessarily doesn't know what aleppo is, but this was his chance to show how he is different from the other 2. i mean sure not knowing a name in a city in itself is not a huge deal, but he really should have known this.

its like when theres a 3-way fight and the two titans are old and decrepit and you're trying to wait for them to kill each other, you better be prepared with everything for that moment.

25. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, I admit I was really surprised. I didn't expect him to have Hillary's depth of all the players and geopolitical details as he has not been on the world stage. But this was a basic thing for a candidate to know. Aleppo has been in the news for years. Doesn't he have a foreign policy adviser educating him on things? If he was outgunned in even a news interview, he certainly wouldn't have been able to keep up in a debate.