What is America more afraid of? Big Business or Big Government?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Sep 14, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found this survey and study intriguing. It's interesting to see how the financial collapse has affected opinions of Democrats and Republicans alike. Seems that both sides leaned in opposite directions... the Dems leaning so far that they redefined who they considered to be the bigger concern in America... Big Gov't to Big Business.

What does this data represent to you? What does this tell you about the current state of our political climate and how viewpoints of individuals have changed in the past year?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Considering that the Patriot Act occurred. I might as well say Big Business because the Republicans tell me that Democrats force Big Government, and then I look at Bush...

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Big business is the scariest thing in the world. It's amazing to me that isn't obvious. Neither one is good if it gets too big though.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

B-b-but W. wasn't a real Republican! Honest!

I think the question is a bit misleading, not everyone has a good amount of insight into what an abusive big business can do, which is part of how they get away with so much.

Frankly I'd say the poll really just plays on peoples fears, of course "Big Government" is always going to sound scary, when labelled as such. Try asking the same question when actually describing the good things "Big Government" can do. And for that matter, what was the definition used for "big government"?

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I say it is 50/50. We don't want companies getting so big that there is no competition. And we don't want government to tell us how to live. I do think we need a little of both but in moderation.

6. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I think you're talking about the neo-cons. True conservatives did not support the Patriot Act. It's pretty well documented that GW was a big-government liberal hawk (or power-liberal) as much as he liked to pretend to be a conservative. Patriot Act, NCLB, open-borders, government medical prescription plan, massive spending, expansion of government entitlement programs, and a whole lot more...

I disagree, big government has done much worse things in history than big business. But you're right, neither one is good if it gets too big.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yet, we were talking about republicans.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I call inaccuracy in that "Big Lizard" was not a poll option. Have we learned nothing from the Japanese?

As for making adults fear big businesses like Wal-Mart is akin to getting kids to fear chocolate; you can tell them it's crap, and even though your argument is visually compelling, they just can't help themselves.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What's so scary about big business besides their ability to manipulate big government?

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? Remember the industrial revolution, dickensian (is that right?) England? They're both just as evil.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The question to ask is why big business controls government big or otherwise.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The answer is that government likes the kick backs from big business.

14. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Both can be equally evil. Big government usually does very obvious damage, like starting wars, but big business usually has a hand in big government. Lobbyists make sure government is big in all the 'right' places, like funding things that will benefit the big business, but small in places like regulation.

Also, big business has done downright horrific things to people all over the world in the name of capitalism. Movies like The Corporation try to document the inner workings and evil of corporations like Monsanto. Even companies like Nike still use child labor and overtime for dimes an hour in places like Cambodia.

Personally I think big business is a bigger problem in America (or any truly democratic nation), because we have direct control over who governs us. People got sick of Bush, they elected Obama. People may vote Obama out in 2012. It's up to us. On the other hand, Americans in general seem not to care what big business does at all. They will still buy Nikes even if children are being exploited in other countries. They will still buy milk from Monsanto cows, even if they dump toxic waste in South America. I would wager people would have a much bigger problem with what big business did if they operated in America like they do in other countries.

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Big business - has only its own interest at heart.

At least big government still has to get elected, and will serve someone. Actually, most who fear "big goverment" (God I hate labels) fear paying for big government that benefits others. They are for big government that provides:

1) a big bad military with big toys (particularly if their district gets jobs in the defense sector)
    2) big prisons to "lock 'em up"
    3) big public land tracts that can be used for private use (hunting/cattle grazing/natural resource exploration)
    4) their own benefits of government (their roads, their farm subsidies, their social security)

Big government programs that serve/help/rehabilitate/reeducate those in need - no way.

And why do those who want less government intrusion/restriction (e.g. gun control) want more restrictions when it comes to the privacy rights (e.g. Patriot Act) or the sexual/intimate lives of others (e.g. GLBT partner rights)?

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm still looking for the definition used in the poll of "Big Government".

Of course, when either gets to big for its britches its a bad thing, like with everything else moderation is key.

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

"Big" is a euphemism which suggests a false equivalence when applied to both.

• "Bumbling", "incompetent", "ineffective", "wasteful" or "domineering" is what it really means wrt government.
    • "Nefarious" is generally what I take it to mean wrt to business.

Both suck. Equally. :)

OTOH, I'm all for well-run business and competent government - big or otherwise. Kinda hard to find these days ;)

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What I meant is unless they actually used a certain criteria to meet either of these labels in the polls, voters decided upon whatever their imaginations can come up with. We've seen by now that in relation to government, people's imaginations seem to love to work overtime.

Without criteria, this poll is worthless on both ends.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What wages do the people earn regularly in cambodia? I don't think that we should be slaving kids, but if adults are willing to work at lower prices in underdeveloped countries its benefiting them and the corporations at the same time. Making Nike pull out of those areas could mean that some people starve rather than working for low wages.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree that even low wages are better than none, but companies like nike should have to apply by some sort of regulations as to how it treats its employees. Last I heard sweatshops aren't that great of a place to be....

21. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Whats even scarier is what big buisiness could do to small government...

22. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

The issue of big business is a two sided coin really. It gives us great stuff like our iPhones, but it's not as great for the workers who make them. The fact is, though, our society would fall apart without "big business" making all our tech and giving us all jobs and pumping money into the economy.

A very complex issue indeed.

As for big government, that just tends to be 1984-like, which is never a good thing.

IMO, big government is worse, but it's a complex issue as I said.

I may be a bit biased as I'm a businessman though :D

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Whoa there, we don't want to get too graphic in these forums....

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How is in not as great for the people making the iPhones? They get a job where there might not have been one and get to feed their family. China's quality of life and economy has had a huge spike since all of our money started going there for manufacturing, etc other services.

Luckily I didn't have a drink of water or I would need a new keyboard. LOL.