What is and will be Safari's market share on windows?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Jun 12, 2007.

?

What do you think Safari's market share on Windows will be in one year

1. Less then 1%

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. 1-3%

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. 4-6%

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 7% or more

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Pointless thread, I know, but I'm bored. :)

What do you Safari's current market share on Windows is? What do you predict it will be in a year?

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well...before yesterday afternoon, it's marketshare on Windows was 0.00%. I don't really expect it to take off on the Windows side until the iPhone takes off, so it's probably still in the 0.0X% range. I think eventually we might see 10-20%, but that's probably 3 to 5 years in the future. In one year...I'd say 2 to 5%.

How about adding a poll?

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

As it stands next to 0% and maybe in a few years 3-4% and a long ways behind firefox and IE. It is too much of a port to be that good.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Tough question.....it took a while for FF market share to start going up, so I'm not expecting very much for the first few years. Maybe they will start making you download Safari, iTunes and Quicktime all at the same time. Not sure everyone will love that idea, but it will get Safari on PCs out there(not sure how much it would be used_

5. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Poll added.:)

I think I would guess Safari's market share to be 0.0000005% or so right now. :D

And I think in a year, it should be at at least 1%

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

right now it is probably under 1%, but in a year, as long as most of the bugs get fixed in the final release, it should start getting up, and be 1-2% after a year, and probably keep slowly gaining.

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It'se hard to say right now becuase everyone seems to be sick of "putting up" with the beta which windows users take to mean the final version. We'll see.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

less than 1% because it's ****ing terrible. the UI looks like ass on windows and its buggy as ****. It's also nowhere near as fast as Jobs said it is. Firefox is faster for me on my windows pc.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

only if apple make it to a native windows app, then it will be able to compete with opera, marketshare: 1% on windows in 5 years

otherwise, 0.1% in 5 years on windows.

call me hater, I just don't believe a resource hog featureless app like safari can convert opera/firefox/ie users.

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I would expect it to hover mostly around 1%....and that 1% will be Mac users who want to run Safari while in Windows :)

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

lol true on that part. Most people who leave IE go over to firefox and they keep converting people to it. That firefox group is the strongest group for getting new people. General speaking the firefox users on windows are a little more tech savy than average and the people windows people turn to for advice and they inturn will turn them to firefox.

That group would get safari to play with it but it still in bad ship. Firefox 0.8 was in better shap than safari. 0.9 was blew it safari out of the water. So it really far behind in how stable it is

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

It is, it was rewritten top to bottom for windows.

13. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Thread revival, but I got my sister to start using Safari on her PC. (She just had to try it once and she loved it)

14. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

well many people are lookinng at firefox but many are finding out IE sucks

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well according to the usual source the share is currently 0.04%, so it looks like Celvin is probably right, but we shall see what happens when it leaves beta.

16. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

And yet IE manages to hold most of the marketshare...

17. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well that's because most "regular" computer users don't really care which browser they're using. IE was the browser that came with the computer, and that's what they're going to use.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Only because it's installed on every windows computer in the world.

19. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I don't think Safari will really be used as a regular browser in the Windows world. If someone uses Windows, most likely they don't want to use Apple's web browser as their main browser, or they probably don't even know about it.

20. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

This is kind of funny/sad

my schools website does not work in IE7

All the new computers the school purchased for the labs and xpress web station are dells, they come with IE 7 only and cannot load another browser on it.
    But thanks to the usual fantastic communication between the two depts most of the new machines cannot be used for what they were bought.

and I am talking about 500+ Dells.

oh yeah and the school has over 1,000 macs...

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So it's sort of the same on Windows as it is on OSX?

Firefox > *

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Firefox, at least until version 3 is a lot slower than Safari.

23. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have not found a fast browser in Vista, I find IE faster then firefox but i like firefox much better. I have not tried Safari for much but if it is anywhere as fast as it is on the OS X i will make the switch.

24. 210 macrumors regular

Safari

I use Safari on my Windows machine at work and Firefox as backup. I haven't used Internet Explorer in years. I know quite a few here use Firefox as well on their Macs, but I still like Safari.

Everyone I know who use Windows I have told to use Firefox. I'll recommend to them Safari once it is out of beta.

I don't think Apple has advertised very much that Safari is available on Windows. Yes, everyone knows it's on Macs, iPhones and iPod touches, but that's it. Firefox is making headway mainly through word of mouth

25. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I can't see it catching on for a while.. People (Just average computer users, no one on this forum) are finally just finding out about Firefox. Personally, if I had a PC I'd probably use Firefox over Safari.