What is Apple doing about the "Scuffed" iPhone 5's ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hooterville, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

Went into the Verizon store yesterday and purchased a new black 64GB and after the guy activates the phone and opens the box it has a nice size ding to one of the outside corners. I told him that I'm not taking that phone and he says I have to call Apple as it's not Verizon's problem.

I told the moron just give me my money back and cancel my contract and then he calls the manager over and they give me another new 64GB.:)

This one has no damage to the edges but after I removed the plastic from the back I notice damage where the glass meets the metal on the lower right back.
    It's not real bad and I could probably live with it but I think for $400.00 people should not have to accept damaged goods right out of the box.

How is Apple handling these problems?
    If I call Apple will they send me a new "Flawless" replacement?
    Will the replacement be another new in retail packaging or someones else's refurbished returned phone?

Or could I end up with worst then I have now?:confused:

2. pooleman, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I'll tell you what there're doing about the scuffed iPhone 5s, They're selling them.

3. Hooterville thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

Anyone called Apple about the scuffs, dings or damage to their new iPhone 5?

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I didn't call, but made two trips to two different Apple Stores. I've given up. I've decided to keep my black iPhone 5 due to the damage not being that bad compared to the replacements I have seen.

5. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Why would you call them. Go to your Apple store and get it replaced. Yes you are taking a chance of getting one worst and likely someone else's reject. Apple knows that sooner of later one of them will stick.

6. Hooterville thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

There are no Apple stores within 150 miles of us.:eek:
    Just wondering if anyone has called Apple about this and what was their response ?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you kidding? Do you not read the forums? Apple, they're doing nothing. Believe it or not the only iPhone 5's that I've seen in person were absolutely perfect.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They're trying to increase the quality controls of the factory production, but they're not doing anything about the ones that were already sold or are in circulation.

9. Hooterville thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

I thought Apple would replace a phone that was damaged right out of the box?

10. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

I got my phone replaced and wouldn't leave apple store without a perfect phone which I got.

11. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

They do.

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I was at the local(-ish) Genius Bar yesterday for them to have a look at my 5 because there was a dead pixel on the screen. The Genius was very helpful and as soon as I pointed out the pixel he just made sure they had my model and was more than happy to replace it.

BUT, the new one he got from the back had a TINY (like 2-3mm, barely noticeable) mark of silver where the back meets the side. I pointed it out to him and he said he'd get me another one if I wanted... I decided I really didn't care so I told him not to worry about it... I'll end up with some more noticeable cosmetic damage over 2+ years anyway...

13. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Call Apple. Mine was damaged out of the box - a few scrapes and gouges. Everyone said it was hardly noticeable and thought I was crazy, but it bugged me. I called AppleCare and he gave me a few options - ship the phone back and they would ship me a new one, pay $29 and get a new phone and then ship the old phone back or go to an Apple Store. He did not recommend going to a store, but I could not be without a phone for a week and thought it was ridiculous to have to pay another $29. He set up the appointment for me.

Anyway, my phone was replaced and it seems perfect. Th genius said he was even thinking about trading his because he had a small flare on the side - much less damage than my phone had.

So, if you don't live near an Apple, you do have options to return/exchange and I would definitely call Apple Care.

14. LeeMac2012 macrumors newbie

Trust me, from a person that just spent a whole week dealing with this and having to exchange it 5 times, stay with the one you have if you can live with it. Otherwise Apple Care will send you one that is worse and the store will only exchange it up to a certain amount. You can also wait a few months and see if it gets better before making the call. Your choice.

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

Increased iPhone 5 Quality Control Standards to Address Scratches Slowing Production

AppleCare will send you a replacement iPhone, but they will not sent you an entirely new "retail" box (that includes the accessories, etc). If you want that, you will need to return your phone back to Verizon for a refund and buy another one.

If they send you a refurb one (which is unlikely, based on how long the iPhone 5 has been out), it will contain a brand-new exterior shell (which is what you want) and a brand-new battery.

16. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

There is not a lot of choices if you can't get it to an Apple store. There were so many damaged phones that Apple has heard it all on the phone. Just read some of these threads, OCD people here. Some are freaking out when they shake their phone and hear a noise, I can't wait till some one dislikes how their phone SMELLS! ;)

17. darster Suspended

They have the security guards beat a few more employees, and voila, less scuffs. :rolleyes:

18. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Wow fail

19. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

yup, all the ocd people will just ocd more when they get a refurbished model. It's not going to be perfect no matter how much you paid for it, a tiny nick will not end your life, it's not noticeable unless you are actively looking for imperfections.

20. Geffen macrumors 6502

This is why I had the Apple Rep open my iphone 5 in the store i wasn't going to take any chances driving home and opening it myself and finding theres scuffs or scratches. Luckly mine was perfect, mine was in the week 40 build batch must have been after Apple cracked down on quality control. I don't blame the original poster, if you're paying $400.00 or even $200.00 like I did i wouldn't want a scratched up or scuffed up iphone.

21. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

yep...