What is Apple waiting for to announce the Sept 12 event?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Probably a production ramp.

Assuming Apple is announcing the next-generation iPhone that day and shipping about 9-10 days later, they need their contract manufacturers to accumulate enough inventory to support the launch (which will undoubtedly be limited to a handful of countries and supply will be tight anyhow).

The production ramp for an iPhone launch is probably about six weeks.

A secondary issue is likely the finalization of iOS 6. The iOS engineering team need to wrap up version 6.0.0 of the software which will be flashed on the finished hardware.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Apparently Samsung has an announcement event today or something...

or

Apple is just going to sent invitations even later, maybe like one week later so it would be Sep 5th.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Most Apple press event invitations are sent a week or so before the event. So I assume... September 6th is what they're waiting for.

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
Isn't google or Samsung having some sort of event on the 5th? I'd look for an official date from Apple then.

Ah! This is going to be the longest week EVAR!!!

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Isn't google or Samsung having some sort of event on the 5th? I'd look for an official date from Apple then.

Ah! This is going to be the longest week EVAR!!!
A long three weeks. One week until invitations, another until the announcement, and a third until the actual launch.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
They typically wait until a week ahead of time, which makes me question who is in charge at Nokia and Motorola. Want to make sure your announcement gets left behind? Schedule a press conference on the day that Apple will almost certainly make an announcement that everyone knows is regarding an iPhone launch.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Thank god I have a break in my classes during the time the Keynote will be. I'll be able to stream it on campus even! Even if they aren't necessarily exciting all the time, I really enjoy being able to stream live events like this.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Thank god I have a break in my classes during the time the Keynote will be. I'll be able to stream it on campus even! Even if they aren't necessarily exciting all the time, I really enjoy being able to stream live events like this.
I believe they do not do live streams anymore. You'd have to use a feed from a gadget blog instead. However, things could change.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
They will still announce their event at the same time they always do, and not any earlier just because rumors basically confirmed the date weeks ago.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The seats for these events sell out immediately. We shouldn't be asking why they are waiting for. We should be asking what's the rush (as in why are they even giving us a week's notice)?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
My money is on 9/5 for the invites. But either way I'd say "next week" at this point. I am pretty eager myself. I'd like to truly see what this is all about- this is the first time I have felt hesitant to upgrade. I'm hoping they wow me on the 12th but if not there is always next year.