What is apple wanted to enter the Video game market

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Muscle Master, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I was sitting here wondering what if Apple wanted to steal market share from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo

With today's tech it wouldn't be hard at all. I't would only be a matter of "How much apple would really profit from this"

I would find it really interesting.. hell if Jobs would agree to it.. I see apple axing the Apple TV also and just incorperating it into the igame or iplay or whatever tha hell they would call it

iplay sounds nice:)

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

They already have been stealing business from Ninendo and Sony (DS and PSP). They just haven't done so, yet, on non-handhelds.

An AppleTV with more storage (RAM and flash) and an App Store would be most of the way there. They would just need some kind of controller, like using an iPod touch or iPhone.

B

3. Dagless Suspended

Dagless

I always thought Mac people were "about the software". That's why dedicated consoles still sell as well as they do - the software. Mario, Pokemon, GTA, etc. They're either unavailable for iOS, have poorly built clones that verge on trademark infringement or have better versions on dedicated machines.

You've also got to bear in mind that development is shifting towards the 3DS and NGP/PSP2. The current generation is 6-7 years old. Sales usually do die down towards the end of a consoles life; always has been that way.

4. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I wouldn't consider the ipod touch/iphone a handheld video game considering the hardware.. in my opinion of course

I wouldn't buy and ipod touch over PSP, DS, etc

5. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I think Apple stealing away market share in the handheld market was a side effect of
    - Sony and Nintendo not doing anything substantial in the market for over half a decade
    - Apple's success in the smartphone market, making iOS ubiquitous
    - The app store model allowing developers to make money off simple casual games and dropping the price

I doubt it was anything planned though. As visionary as Steve Jobs is, I don't think the guy understands games beyond $1.99 minigames that have the word "doodle" in it. Now that Sony and Nintendo are pushing new tech, I don't think Apple has much else to offer.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I agree, I don't think it was planned and I think it was in part just good timing, with a good enough device and good enough games designed for the device. Like the Wii, sometimes simple/casual games on the device you already have are worth more than high end PC/PS3/Xbox titles. (like World of Goo which I have on Wii/Steam/iPad just because it rocks).

I also agree that the combination of hardware and software often makes the game. I enjoy the occasional venture into Pokemon (once the GameStop Celebi event comes by I will legitimately have obtained all Sinnoh Pokemon in my Diamond) with my boys and the Game Boy games don't feel right on the NDSL and the DS games are just right.

I'm sure that game devs are shifting over to the new platforms, but the sheer numbers of iOS devices out there still make it a pretty compelling market.

B

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

They can do with with AppleTV but will have to make a version with increased storage, and make some sort of real game controllers for it instead of having the need for an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Apple is doing well in the mobile space, so I believe that the iPhone/iPad/Touch fits their need for a "gaming platform".

They've failed before in the TV console one...

8. Dr. McKay, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Actually, SJ doesn't have a clue about real games. He's a "morality knight" and has a very low esteem for games as we know them. I believe he's one of those people who think gaming's bad for you...
    But Apple can't dismiss gaming ; after all, it's a multi-million dollar business, so obviously, as with everything, Apple wants a piece of the action.
    Having said this, "real" gaming still sucks on a Mac, no matter how you look at it when you compare it with Windows gaming. And an Apple gaming console ?

What's next ? An iCar (you only get to drive on Apple-approved roads), iFridge (you can only store Apple-approved foods in it), iBed (only with Apple-certified pyjamas)...

9. Tonepoet macrumors regular

First of all, three words: Apple Bandai Pippin. I think apple could probably do much better on the market now but I still don't think they'll ever be a major player in the market. They wouldn't pursue it aggressively enough to sell it to the publishing houses.

Second of all, I'd actually have loved to see an Apple/Nintendo alliance of this sort, since both are such great hands-on companies with a good track record of bringing out new innovative products.

Third of all, this is a great opportunity to attack the handheld market. battery life for this generation is regressing to sub-gamegear levels and all the gimmicks are bloating the price. This is more or less the antithesis of the Prince of Handhelds, the Gameboy. The only reason I hesitate it to call the GB a king, is that it is still but a boy. :p ) Granted buying batteries won't be an issue like it was in with built in batteries, but batteries dying midgame and waiting for those batteries to charge could be. Apple's probably more interested in selling iPod touches than dedicated gaming handhelds though.