What is Apple's policy on repairing out of warrenty laptops?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Meever, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

I have a friend who has a out of warranty unibody macbook pro (late '08) and he's offering to sell it to me for real cheap.

The Macbook unfortunately has some problem in the logic board that stops it from running on battery power though.

In general how much would a logic board replacing cost at a apple store?

2. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

You sure it's that and not the battery itself?

As far as the policy. You would have to pay for the repair.

3. celticpride678

Without AppleCare, it can get pretty expensive ($200+). Head over to ifixit.com and see if you can get a cheaper logic board for that specific computer and have a DIY install.

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

If the machine needed a new logicboard outside of warranty and you'd be paying for it it'd be a lot closer to $1,000 than $200.

5. celticpride678

I don't think that is very accurate. Where did you get $1,000?

6. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Several earlier generation MBPs have been quoted over 1.2K for the video card/logic board issue.

Don't buy it, imo.

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Years of dealing with Apple's exorbitant repair costs...and I've worked for Apple and $1000 is far more accurate...

8. Meever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, we opened up the macbook pro and saw it was definitely the logic board.

1k for parts and labor?! Oh jeebus, he'd be better off selling it for spare parts!

If it's more in the 200 dollar range it wouldn't be too bad though....

I'm assuming replacing the logic board isn't exactly easy? I have experience building rigs and soldering but something tells me working in the confines of a laptop chassis a totally different game.....

9. pdjudd macrumors 601

Apple quoted over 800 bucks for just a screen repair on my MacBook from about 2006 - and that would be a minor replacement. Out of warranty major repairs like logic board replacement ups the ante to the point where even the geniuses recommend against repairing and just replacing it due to cost.

I agree with the over 1K figure - I would even hazard more than that.

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

Trust me, laptop repairs are a major pain very quickly. The main board ranks at the top for difficulty. It’s going to cost you a lot.

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

If it runs off AC, buy it for $300 and use it as a desktop...

12. Meever thread starter macrumors 6502a

It runs fine off the AC, but what's the point of having a laptop that can't cut the chord XD

13. belvdr macrumors 603

For $300, it's a very inexpensive Mac desktop. If you want to tote it around as a laptop, it's not such a good deal.

14. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

My point exactly. Shoot, I'll buy it for $300 and use it as a media center

15. jeporter macrumors newbie

Logic Board Issue

I just had my (companies) out of warranty MacBook Pro in the shop...kernal panics were preventing it from booting. We paid the $120 bench fee for diagnosis. We were told that a) it was the logic board, b) it was a known problem, and c) it was a free fix. Unit was 3 years old. They refunded the bench fee.

Sweet.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh, I wasn't aware you were going to use it for music.

17. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Where did he buy it from?

Under UK law goods have to fit for the purpose. A £1K plus laptop that only lasts a couple of years isn't. He should be able by law get the supplier to fix it. If it's from Apple.com/uk though it's probably come from Ireland which may complicate the issue.

18. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Very Accurate, between $800-$1200, depending on model, my friends MOBO alone was $876, PLUS instal, at the Apple store:eek:

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Think of it is the MacMini "flat and wide edition" with a built-in display.

20. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Apple's out of warranty repair policy is geared towards getting you to just buy a new computer.

21. stonemann macrumors regular

My experience with the Apple Store was very positive. I had an out-of-warranty Powerbook g4 12" which needed a new hard drive. I took it to the Apple Store in Central London to be looked at by a Genius - for free. He gave me a repair quote for parts and labour at just over £100 which I thought was pretty reasonable. I also took it to a couple of resellers in London to see if I could get a better deal. One quoted me £100 just to look at the machine and £250 for a repair, the other said they couldn't get hold of the drives anymore...

Needless to say I went with the Apple Store and my Powerbook was ready in two days with a fresh install of Leopard. Runs like a charm. Couldn't be happier with the service. One thing they told me is that my machine doesn't yet qualify as a "vintage" model. Once that happens they would no longer stock parts to fix it and I'd be lumbered with an Apple Reseller for repair - and that wouldn't be good.

22. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I have had great experience with Apple Phone support especially if the warranty elapsed just a few weeks ago. You can call up Apple and I am sure that if you push hard enough, they will have your/your friend's unibody serviced free. If not, they may offer you the opportunity to purchase Apple Care on the system, so that you can get the warranty repairs processed. Even if they don't offer it, ask, and I think they will be able to work with you. If the system is only a few weeks out of warranty which in your case is probably true (after all, the unibodies were released on Oct. 14, I believe), you stand a good chance of Apple taking care of this issue.

23. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Depends on how cheap is cheap. What damaged the board? If it was a spill I would walk away, because there could be all sorts of other issues too