What is better, sending MBP in for repair or using local repair shop (non Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techmonkey, Sep 14, 2008.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

My GPU failed on my MBP and I was going to call AppleCare to send it in for repair. The nearest Apple Store is 1 hour away, and I just found out there is a local authorized repair center in my city. I am looking for the fastest way to get my MBP repaired. Is it better to go with a local, authorized repair center or call AppleCare?

2. rogair macrumors member

Your local AASP might not be as busy as the Apple store. I'd call them and ask them what their turn-around time is.

3. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

My only options are my local authorized shop or mailing it in to Apple. I tried calling the local shop, but they are closed on Sunday.

4. jtus macrumors member

I only use my local authorized apple store with repair service. They do all repairs on site and most of the time by the next day. When you go to a apple store most of the time they just send it back to apple for repair unless it is something real simple to fix.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

When my MBP needed a logic board replacement, my local Apple authorized shop turned it around in about a week.

The Apple Store in my area (20 miles from where I live) required an appointment scheduled on the web, for which the earliest day available was four days away with what I can only expect a longer turnaround time on the actual repair.

7 or 8 years ago, I used to be able to bring a repair into the Apple Store and get same day service on most issues. It's not the case anymore. They ship almost everything off to the depot now because of their high customer volume as a retail store. Plus, their staff isn't as knowledgeable anymore. So, I'll drive only 2 miles and drop my machine off at the mom and pop store and give them the business. I also bought my last two Apple machines from them. I rather support local business and keep the taxes in my community if possible.