What is better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphoneattack, May 5, 2012.

1. Iphoneattack macrumors regular

Should I wait for my iPhone 4s to reach 0% and then charge it or should I put it on charge before the phone turns off?

Which one is better for battery life?

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

You should at least drain your battery fully at least once a month. It's just good for the battery. Otherwise, just charge it when you need too.

3. hakuna-matata, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012

hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

I read this on apple support site too.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

"For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

you should drain your battery untill your idevice turns off.

4. Iphoneattack thread starter macrumors regular

I drain the whole thing every night

So should I continue to do this?

5. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

Its a lithium based battery so doesnt need to be charged down everytime. Best to charge it at 15-20% and then as suggested once in a while let it go all down to 0%.

Keep brightness at manageable level and you`ll be getting better battery time.

6. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

There's a ton of really in depth threads about this on here.
    But to summarize, for new technology in lithium polymer batteries (like the iPhone) its best to charge whenever you want. That being said, I just charge every night regardless of level, and in between if I need to. Which is rarely.
    Old batteries needed to be drained every time, but that actually Decreases the life of Li-Po batteries.
    So just charge around 15-20% and you're golden, but any time is good. Nightly seems to be best :)

7. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Wasn't there something about Lithium batteries that says "Letting them run down a lot is bad" and "charging them as often as possible is good"?

8. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

No no no no no, you should NOT let it die! Letting it die WILL calibrate the battery meter, and may be needed if it's reading wildly inaccurate battery life remaining, but other than that, it's an Apple placebo fix.

Lithium ion batteries degrade substantially more as they're nearing the bottom of their charge capacity. You will get a much better lifespan if you consistently make sure you're charging with at least 20% or so remaining.

Realistically, charge whenever you want to. Don't worry obsessively. The new batteries are getting much better. My MacBook Pro is over a year old, has 127 charge cycles, and still has 92% health (92% of it's design capacity). That's very good. Traditionally lithium-ion's would drop to around 80% of design capacity on average by 100 cycles, and 50% by 300. Apple's claiming their MacBook and iPad 1/2 batteries are designed to 1000 cycles at 50% of design capacity. I haven't seen numbers for the iPad 3, so I'm assuming it's worse (if it was the same or better, I doubt they'd pull that information from their website...) but probably still pretty good. Apple uses good batteries. Also, remember, no use at all and Lithium Ion batteries will STILL age.

Just use it as you need it and don't worry, but certainly don't deliberately drain it down, that can only bring harm...

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You can, but keep this in mind, lithium have certain amount of charge cycles before it nees to be replaced (preferable around 300 to 500 charge cycles). But I do not know how much charge cycle the iphone can hold. So if you drain it every day that's 1 cycle thus 300 days to 500 days and may need new batterys afterward. To explain this better full charge cycles mean 100%. So if you use 30% and charge it, you only used up 30% of the charge cycle, if you use it again and this time 50% and charge it, you already used 80% of the charge cycle. If you then use it again to 60% and charge it you used up already 140% = 1 cycle, 40%. So if you fully drain it every days, your just stressing the battery.

Where ase if you go for so half a charge today and half a charge next day, you used up 1 cycle in 2 days. Or if you do 20% today, 40% tomorrow and 40% the next day, that's one cycle in 3 days. I personally prefer this route just because it can last me 2-3 years.

10. Iphoneattack thread starter macrumors regular

What? I don't mean to be rude but how the heck is it possible to use only 20% of iPhone 4s battery in a day, if it loses 15 in an hour lol

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

It depends on what you do, really. I typically can use 20% in a day. Like today, I was busy all day working and havent had a chance use my phone and only used about 5%.

If you are losing 15% an hour then something is wrong or your just playing games that drains the battery fast.

12. Iphoneattack, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012

Iphoneattack thread starter macrumors regular

Well When I wake up and it's on 100 I surf the web for 30 minutes then play ski safari for like ten minutes and listen to a couple of songs and when It's been about an hour I'm at 85?
    I turn most of the location settings off and etc

I made a thread about this and they said this is normal

----------

I dont use it just for "phone purposes" i would say that it plays a prominent role in my everyday life

In a day by the time my phone reaches 10% my usage is about 5 hours and a half

Like today I woke up and it's on 100 I surfed the web for about 30 to 40 minutes and I texted my cousin for 15 to 20 minutes and my usage is currently 1 hr 15 and my battery is down to 90

Is this not good?

13. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

No, I mean of an hour usage and 10% down, it's not bad at all. Especially since web browsing uses data and gaming obviously requires graphics power. So it's on target, but 15% just sitting around, doing light things is a little excessive.

14. Iphoneattack thread starter macrumors regular

What would u consider "light things"?

15. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Like just texting a little back and forth or using the calendar or something. But things drawing a bit of data or doing graphical type things, will naturally need more power

16. Iphoneattack thread starter macrumors regular

So what I said I do on daily is normal for my battery to drain to 85?

17. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Sounds good to me. Because you'd get roughly 8 hours of battery life.

18. Iphoneattack thread starter macrumors regular

Naa

Roughly everyday I get 5 and a half to 6 hrs

However today I got 7 hours and I used it quite a bit but it did charge for 10 minutes when I plugged it in to upload some songs so maybe plugging it in for 10 minutes extended an hour of usage?

But anyways I usually get 5 and a half to. 6 hours in a full cycle daily

19. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

hmmm that normal. what brightness setting you using and do you have location services on all the time?