What is Chris Pratt Apologizing for?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, May 5, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Honestly, what in the hell is he apologizing for? Asking people to listen to something is insensitive to deaf people now? Am I dick for telling people to go see Fate of the Furious because some people are blind?

"'Chris Pratt has shown that he’s capable of recognizing when he’s wrong. The Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 star has placed his foot in his mouth once again and now he’s not only apologizing for “insensitive” remarks, but using the experience to push for enhanced accessibility.

The apology is the result of an Instagram video where Pratt encouraged fans to listen to the content rather than read the subtitles. Seeing as the hearing impaired rely on subtitles, Pratt was unintentional giving the middle finger to people that need a captioned video. Swiftly, Pratt released a rather heartfelt apology video saying sorry for his insensitive remarks. An apology was also provided in American Sign Language."

http://uproxx.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-chris-pratt-apology-video/

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

SNL wouldn't be caught dead doing this now..

4. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

That was actually a brilliant ad, too. Nearly every video on Facebook has subtitles, his ad acknowledged how people just scroll through them now without listening. It broke a social media fourth wall.

AND... the ad's focus was on the SOUND.

5. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What?

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Exactly. We are the United States of the Offended.

8. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I doubt the hearing impaired gave a toss to start with.

9. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

10. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

30 years from now us white males will be walking the streets with random spasms while mumbling "I'm sorry" to every passerby. And in case you are wondering, no, our lives will not matter and that won't be disputed by anybody.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Being hearing impaired myself, I'm glad Chris Pratt recognized his remarks may have been insensitive. That said, I think asking people to listen to the content is offensive, even to the hearing members of the audience. If your content is worth listening to, people will listen. If people are scrolling through your video reading subtitles, then it's probably because they don't deem your video worth the time to listen through it. It's up to content providers to convince their audience their content is worth the time it takes to consume, and it's the audience's right to consume them however they decide is appropriate.

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Oh, only some handsome sexy guy staring in a space movie and new theme park attraction. I'd be open to dating him if I were single and he wasn't straight. Although he might be a bit too high strung for me. Then again, so is my husband so maybe that's my type. :D

13. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Get in line b****! :mad:;)

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Chris Pratt should be apologizing for his brides terrible sitcom.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, really. White Male Shame. Until then - too bad we still own everything :)

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

There's no shame in my game. If it ever gets that bad I'll just move to my place in northern New Hampshire. I'll live off the land and become somewhat of a myth. Living off the land and rarely being seen. When the gene pool gets undesirable women will make the journey north in search of me, hoping to find the legend and convince me to "cast my seed".

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

While I didn't feel an apology was necessary, reading his signed comment was beautiful.

18. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Pratt's characters crack me up. He seems like pretty funny guy in real life too. I don't see a reason for an apology but he can react any way he feels that best fits his personality.

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

His bloopers/out takes from Parks and Rec are hilarious.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Where are subtitles used? I realize maybe when distributed to a foreign language location, but I thought they rely on dubbing in voices? I think this was an honest mistake and no slight intended, and in many cases none taken.

21. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm not sure what video he was talking about but I know on facebook, if you don't click on the video, it will sometimes play without audio and will display subtitles. He was saying that instead of just reading the subtitles, you should hear the audio.

22. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

In that case I am a complete disgrace to my race and gender.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I do that now, but then again I'm Canadian... sorry.

As for Chris Pratt apologizing... I don't know if people should be offended, but him reaching out to people (in the timeliness and way that he did) that might have taken offence is pretty cool.