What is driving English youth to hooliganism?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevegmu, Feb 18, 2008.

1. stevegmu macrumors regular

Maybe it is soccer, or drinking at the age of 16, but more and more, I come across articles concerning the youth of England being out of control- from Chavs, to skin heads to angry immigrants.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/minette_marrin/article3382270.ece

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The knockdown effects of Thatcherism, consumerism, the lack of decent paying jobs, astronomical housing costs, a skyrocketing income disparity, drugs, the bizarre English infatuation with binge drinking, etc, etc.

There's never a single cause for society's ills.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

All of the above, plus the absence of serious consequences for misbehavior. That absence = positive feedback.

'Rat

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I was last back in the UK for a week about 4 years ago and was amazed at the binge drinking and then fighting in the streets in the early hours - this was the place where I spent the first 20 years of my life, and I could hardly believe I used to safely walk down those streets years ago.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Although a lot of this is media hype (underage drinking in Britain has always been a problem), I would say the biggest issue is lack of boundaries for the youngsters. The parents back their kids against outsiders and the Police are powerless against underage offenders. Secondly there's an obsession amongst authorities about making life "fair" for kids.

Well WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! Life isn't FAIR!!! Teaching children it is is just setting them up for later disappointment!!

The education system is also currently broken, with an over-emphasis on testing a centralised syllabus rather than encouraging children to develop the skills they are good at. Children who have nothing to be passionate about just drift.

Oh, and BTW, stevegmu, soccer hooligans are no longer a problem. That perspective was perfectly valid in the 80s but no longer relevant.

A bit like your politics ;)

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but

is an extremely odd turn of phrase and is

really something one would want to send to press?

I knew the standards of print journalism in the States had declined alarmingly, but really, does no one in world employ editors anymore?

7. stevegmu thread starter macrumors regular

This Sir Al Aynsley-Green character seems to be part of the problem.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...le_id=515469&in_page_id=1772&in_author_id=256

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Every element of that tabloid opinion-piece, from sensational title to the sub-headings, is perfectly concocted to appeal to someone such as yourself stevemgu.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Sadly it's the same with that comic of a newspaper every day. All that changes is the group they target.

What is driving English housewives to buy that thing?

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Mass hysteria.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Not "soccer" then? :D

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Today's website front page is a beauty: Stressed out Courtney Cox drops two dress sizes! The horror.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Massively hysterical soccer. Or Brits massively hysterical about Americans calling football soccer.

Possibly not the answer, but worth considering.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Same thing that's driving English youth to hooliganism... their car. ;)

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Oh, the youth of today; the eternal cry down the ages.

We've had the mods, rockers, punks... I love cut and paste opinions from people about a country they've probably never visited, lifted from right-wing rags that peddle in the politics of hatred and fear.

Funny how most of us go about their lives in England without having problems with these supposed feral youths. I saw some kids on the bus being loud the other day, one of them was wearing a hoodie... oh wait, we were like that 30 years ago.

The so-called 'bizarre' notion of english binge-drinking? It's cultural and historical; Hogarth was writing about drunks in London 250 years ago. When you live here, a certain amount of self-administered numbness and jollity is perfectly acceptable.

16. stevegmu thread starter macrumors regular

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

She'll no doubt have lost all that weight running away from under-age, binge-drinking soccer hooligans. So it's not all bad news, then.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I drank at the age of 16, in fact more than I have since, and I haven't come out all bad, and don't start fights in the street.

19. Queso macrumors G4

Don't forget, drinking at 16 in the UK is like drinking at 20 in the US.

Oh the horror!!! :eek:

Although badger baiting is very much illegal in this country, it appear skunk baiting is not :rolleyes:

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So everybody does it :p.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I skimmed through that and this caught my eye...

The second explanation for hooliganism is poor, or even biased refereeing...

I knew it! The country is going to the dogs, and it's all Uriah Rennie's fault. The man has a lot to answer for.

I would read that article if I were you, dynamicv – the author mentions his experiences of attending the games of 'Stockport FC'. :D

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oddly enough, any number of times, I've made essentially the same point about opinions posted here about American culture, politics, etc. I don't get any particular satisfaction out of knowing that this knife cuts both ways, but I think it's well worth keeping in mind that it does.

23. Queso macrumors G4

Of course he did. When writing anything about football in the UK, a visit to The Shrine, the True Home of The Beautiful Game, is an absolute necessity.

For those too lazy to click the link (skewed emphasis mine)...

:)

24. bartelby macrumors Core

Can I have a summary. I'm too lazy to read the quote. :eek:

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

My guess is that you probably don't live on some impoverished housing estate in the north of England...

The Industrial Revolution was the beginning of widespread public drunkenness, there's no doubt about that.

Binge drinking seems to be most common in northern European countries

Ireland 34%
    Finland 27%
    UK 24%
    Denmark 23%

Eurobarometer didn't include Russia of course but I'm sure they would top the list. So, it's probably mostly a result of a northern climate. Strange how Canada doesn't have this problem.