What is everyone enjoying the most out of os2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thaghost, Sep 22, 2015.

1. thaghost macrumors 6502

I first purchased an Apple Watch over the summer. Loved it at first, but was frustrated due to the limited capabilities and limited apps and app functions. I eventually returned it. When os2 was announced, I figured I'd give it another shot as I thought some of the things I was frustrated with were going to be fixed (I.e, email replies, customized faces, etc). I was also hoping for more mainstream apps to be available. I made the plunge yesterday and bought one again and updated to os2. Besides the email replies, customized faces and nightstand feature, I'm not experiencing much noticeable changes and there still seems to be a real lack of apps.

So what is everyone enjoying the most out of the new update? I'm hoping I am just overlooking or not recognizing some new useful changes.

2. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I'm honestly not all that interested in lots of potential 3rd party apps, so I guess email replies is the best thing for me. Notifications, time, weather, fitness and texting/phone/email is all that I'm really after in a smartwatch, so I'm pretty much covered.

3. richard371 macrumors 68000

Im pretty underwhelmed. Its still clunky and slow and trying to accomplish anything on something the size of a postage stamp I end up pulling my iPhone out of my pocket.

4. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I'm kinda with ya. The new release is very underwhelming and is still buggy.
    I like the extra colors for the watch faces. The photo faces are cool too, but since you can't have any complications I don't use them.

I'm just hoping that 3rd party complications start coming soon. That's the main benefit I can see. Other than that, my watches BY FAR primary purpose is notifications. I still love that, but not enough to where I miss them all that much when I decide to wear a nice mechanical watch instead.

5. TheACN macrumors newbie

I love the 10 percent cashback that watchos2 brought with Discover cards (might be an ios 9 thing but i'd like to give the credit to watchos :)

Also liked wifi calling when my phone's out of juice.

Native apps load very fast, at least on my watch. Heard people are having different experiences though

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

7. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

I'm waiting for a sports app that adds a complication with a sports ticker for scores of my favorite teams. I'm enjoying the quicker response on native apps like Dark Sky. Fitness resting calories burned has been fixed. Heart rate monitor frequency has been fixed. I can't wait until 3rd party health apps are updated to work with the fitness rings. I use my watch for my workouts everyday so the watch is really useful for me during excercise. I also go the a beach that I drive on all the time. It's really important to know the tide because I don't want to get stuck on the beach with my vehicle in the water. I use "Tides" to quickly get the current tide height and the times for low and high tide throughout the day right on my watch.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have not updated mine yet but from the looks of it, OS2 was not a leap forward for the Apple Watch. Some will claim it was while others have a bricked watch. The one's in between do not seem to be ecstatic!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with it, I was hoping for more watch faces and customizations but that doesn't seem to the the apple way. Not surprised but I was hoping :)

Overall as apps get released I think the utility of OS2 will show itself.

10. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Ask me the same question in a few weeks when more 3rd party apps are available (right now there are surprisingly few) and maybe I will be a bit more excited about it. For now, nothing much has changed outside of a few new watch faces.

11. Bram.96 macrumors member

Bram.96

Didn't really think about this when it was announced but I really like the new time travel feature.

12. SafariChecker macrumors newbie

Love the fixed heart rate monitor readings so that brisk walks are registered without having to use the fitness working app.

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Thanks! I just moved near the ocean and I downloaded Tides based on your recommendation above. Much appreciated!

14. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Things I like:

Nightstand
    70 seconds
    Colourful complications
    Photo faces

15. Macalway macrumors 68000

Strange that there aren't any third party apps (or very few).

To assume there will be perhaps is a mistake. I assumed there would be a lot of things Apple and other, over the years.
    Many came to naught. I'm sure there will be a few, but i'm not sure that will be enough.

It's an entirely new segment, untested.

16. srshaw macrumors 6502

17. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Where have you been able to use the discover deal. It says "in store purchases only" and I cannot find any stores that take it.

18. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

time travel to see future weather, is really the only OS 2 feature I use, otherwise I'm using it just as I did before

hardly any apps have updated for native OS 2, most are still very slow

19. Voragon macrumors member

Voragon

Love the new color customization choices.

Loved AW as it was but never cared for the color choices on the watch face. Love the new selections.

20. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

watch_face.jpg I love the carrot complications - if you use the two carrot complications on the same watch face the second one will show you real time wind speed and direction. I also love the multicolor watch face for sure.

21. friedmud macrumors 65816

In order:

1. Better Siri interaction: "Hey Siri, tell my wife I'm on my way home" (put down arm... done).
    2. 3rd Party Complications (Dark Sky!)
    3. Native Apps (Dark Sky, BusTime)
    4. Time Travel (awesome to scan forward with Dark Sky and see my future calendar really quickly)
    5. Nightstand
    6. Starting workouts using Siri
    7. 70 seconds
    8. Activation Lock (Makes it less of a target for thieves... even though it really hasn't been an issue!)

22. aberrero macrumors 6502a

Im thinking of buying a Surface Pro 4 with Apple Pay to get it 20% off with discover. (Double cash back promotion)

23. masands macrumors regular

It's less dependent on my iPhone 5. In fact I've turned off the Bluetooth connection completely because my iPhone's battery had gone down by 20-25%. It happily runs off the same Wifi network.

I'll turn on Bluetooth only when it needs to use my iPhone's GPS (ie running).

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If they would only release the Surface Pro 4!!!

25. chrispfeiffer21 macrumors newbie

I agree, Carrot Complications are definitely wonderful, I even signed up to the "premium", if for nothing else other than to support the dev who is making this app. :)

I am finding the battery life to be outstanding as well, it was good with watchOS 1.0, and I am lucky in that it seems to have improved for me in watchOS 2.0. I know this is likely not to be the case for everyone, but hopefully for most here.