What is going to be the price of the shared family data plans on Verizon & Att?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by briantaylor619, May 16, 2012.

1. briantaylor619 macrumors member

Any ideas?

I've yet to see a single article even speculate as to what the data amounts / price will be for the family plans coming out on Verizon and Att before the next iPhone.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Probably a good reason for that...

3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

If the individual/family voice plan breakdown is mirrored by the data family plans...

Verizon Voice
    450 Minutes Individual: $39.99
    700 Minutes Family (2 Lines): $69.99
    1400 Minutes Family (2 Lines): $89.99

So, about 1.5x the minutes for 1.75x the price, but with 2 lines. A similar structure for data would be...

Verizon Data
    2GB Data Individual: $30
    3GB Data Family (2 Lines): $50
    6GB Data Family (2 Lines): $70*

*I just used a $20 jump here.

This would be a really lame deal. For 3 lines, it'd cost $80 for data, giving each user 2GB. That's barely better than buying separate allowances. Hopefully they're more generous with data than with minutes (right!).

What do I think would be a good deal? $50 for 10GB, shared among up to 5 devices, with no per-device fees.

What's my realistic wish? $100 for 10GB, no per-device fees.

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yea I'm speculating it's going to be something along those lines. Probably 1GB for 20~30, 3GB for $40~$50 etc. No way they will keep their same price points but allow data to be shared.

My guess is they are busy crunching numbers so that way they can figure out how to allow it but increase overall revenue.

5. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

With AT&T, I'm currently paying $30 for unlimited LTE data which doesn't get throttled until 5GB....so in essence $30 for 5GB. If they charged $100 for 10GB (or an extra $70 for an additional 5GB) of shared data that would be a monstrous ripoff.

6. Syk macrumors 6502a

So if you have a Family Plan are they going to make you share data?

Right now I have a Family Plan. My phone & my brother. He has nothing but a dumb phone, no text, nothing. I have the iPhone & $30 data and $20.

So are you guys saying I may have to pay $50 even though his phone isn't a smart phone?

7. darster Suspended

It will never be in your favor. Never. Game over. You lose. Welcome to deregulation. Thanks Ronald Reagan. Thanks. Another political leader, including the current doof, who had no idea how their pie in the sky dreams would impact us in the future. There is no competition, simply because the industry wrote the rules and they set the policy. Bend over America, welcome to Oligarchy.

----------

Considering you can get 4 Gb per month from verizon right now for $30, dont know how they will sell half that amount for thesame price.

----------

If they offEr 5gb for $30 i would switch on the spot. Anything less, and I will drag the contract out to the end amassing 20+ Gb of 4G data a month to the very end of the contract. Your call Verizon, your call.

8. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I believe the current individual plan is officially 2GB, but with a promotional "double data" offer that gives users buying LTE phones 4GB for the 2GB price. It would be nice if that was stIll around when the LTE iPhone is released, but who are we kidding? It'll be back to 2GB by the time the LTE iPhone comes out.

However, if the 4GB for $30 individual plan becomes permanent, that changes the predicted family plans significantly. That would make the base family plan 6GB for $50, with $70 buying 12GB. These plans strike me as fair, especially if they don't charge a per-line fee (at least for iPads and any other data-only devices) or tethering fee. But again, who are we kidding?

Let's set all that aside, though, and just speculate... What would be a fair data pricing model? I think a simple $10/GB for the first 5GB, then $5 for each additional GB would be fair, so long as users only pay for what they use. $5 per device.

So if you had an account with 3 iPhones and 2 iPads, you'd have $25 in per-device fees to start, and then however much data is actually used. If its 5GB total (1GB per device), the data bill is $75 for that month. If its 10GB total, the data bill is $100.

This model makes a ton of sense, which is why it'll never happen. If only...

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

This does not address the individual with multiple devices and but no lines.

Id like to share data with an ipad and iphone as an individual.

10. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

What doesn't? I'm pretty sure both the "most likely" scenario I've outlined and my ideal "fair and reasonable but will never happen" plan would allow an individual to have two devices on the same account. Just because it's called a "family plan" doesn't mean you need multiple family members as users.

Most Likely
    450 Minute Plan: $39.99
    3GB Shared Data: $50
    Includes one iPhone with data service and one additional data-only device

Fair and Reasonable; Never Gonna Happen
    450 Minute Plan: $39.99
    Data Access for Two Devices: $10 ($5 x 2)
    Actual Data Used: $?? (E.g., 3GB for $30)

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Over here there's a $5 monthly charge on top of the usual data plan price to make it shareable, then a $1 charge for each additional phone.

Will the US operators do something simlar? Not a clue, but it's a possibility.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Some of the examples here are plausible, but it doesn't make sense to me for Verizon to charge MORE for a family line than it would for each line to have its own plan. Literally nobody would pick a shared data plan that way.

13. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

We will have 5 smartphones so the total for data better be below the current $150.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Or what? :eek:

15. farmermac macrumors 6502a

That seems wayyyy to cheap for AT&T and Verizon. We'd all be tickled if that was the costs.

16. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

Keep in mind I have (2) MiFi's at $50 each for 5GB ($100) and an unlimited plan for $30 so I am paying $130 for say 14GB (4GB is if I had the double data 4GB plan) so in reality for Verizon to even make it palatable I would have to be getting something better either more data or a lower price otherwise users will say FU and not take the tiered plans.

----------

Don't forget that on the family share plan for voice use it's $15 per additional line and I bet it will be $15 per data device like an Tablet or MiFi with the Smartphones not being charged an extra fee (we hope) since a data plan is REQUIRED. Now you should be able to opt out of a data plan if you so choose and use WiFi but to do that you would likely have to pay retail, but I doubt that would even be a choice.

So lets see, you have 5 devices: 1 Tablet, 2 SmartPhones and 2 MiFi's sharing data. Typically that would be 2GB + 8GB (double data) + 10GB = 20GB that would be $190 normally, but with shared family data $45 for extra non smartphone device fee's and $100-130 for data meaning you will likely not see a savings or very little and they will likely limit the data to 3-4GB per device.

17. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

No, you'll only pay for a family data plan if you choose to use a family data plan.

They aren't forcing you to use a family data plan. If only one phone wants data and the other 2 or 3 don't, then you don't have to. You can still keep individual data.

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

I see so you updated to 3GB shared and that was throwing me from your original post.

Hopefully with FAN discounts this will be more reasoinable.