What is it like to die? (opinion)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Crawn2003, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

So I was faced with this question today.

What is it like to die?

I'm not talking by violence, etc. Just a natural passing.
    Will it hurt?
    Is it a bright light or just darkness and silence?
    Do we have our lives flash before our eyes?

I'd like to hear what others think on this without going to far into a religious thesis.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

To quote the great Terry Pratchett:

"It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life."

It's something we'd all be wise to remember!

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I like to think we come back again, an endless loop.

BoyBach that's a beautiful quote.

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

But where do all the new people come from as the Earth's population grows?

Or has my 'soul' been divvied up into more than one person making me a fraction of the man that I was in a previous life!? (That would explain a lot!)

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yeah, I like to think that's where people get the same personalities from, as they're simply "splits" of previous people.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You know how freeing it is to quit your job?

How great it feels to leave all the responsibilities, duties and the petty dramas behind?

My guess, is that death is like that.

I am sooo outa here!

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

There is a lot of medical research on NDE (near death experience) which is the closest we can come to knowing. Some common themes are:

A sense of deep peace
    Bright lights
    "Seeing" old loved ones who have already died
    Reviewing your life

Google "Near Death Experience" and you will have more crap than you will know what to do with. Some gems in there.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd imagine it boils down to how you die. Not sure why but I always imagined dying being similar to being knocked out but with a cold feeling on the nerves, like when you compress them.

As for an afterlife I hope there is one or some sort of transition of conciousness. Logically I know there probably isn't.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

this...except the French get a "FIN" title card and the Americans get Ferris Bueller popping up after a couple minutes to confirm that it's over.

12. ethical macrumors 68000

Depending what you're dying of, I imagine it could be painful or painless. Most likely painless because if you're in a hospital they will do things to make you comfortable. I think it will be similar to falling asleep, but with the deep down feeling that you're fading away for good.

We all know what happens once you're actually dead though.... you go into a sideways time-line and stay there until you're reunited with important people in your life. Then you all go into a big white church and....oh, wait a minute.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Sort of by definition we cannot know, but I suspect we can make some educated guesses. In death the brain begins shutting down, oxygen-starving neurons firing increasingly incoherently. To expect a coherent experience of the breakdown of the organ responsible for processing experience itself probably isn't reasonable.

In practice, I would bet consciousness awareness goes very quickly. As near as we can tell, consciousness is something like a regular rhythm of coherent neuron activity, and thus decoherence would make conscious experience of the event impossible. Prior to that point, I expect the closest analogues available in our experience are other phenomena that affect normal operation of the brain: high fevers, drug or alcohol use, some people even intentionally asphyxiate themselves recreationally. These things make the very fundamentals of conscious experience malleable, and it seems at least plausible that death starts out something like that.

Not that I would suggest anything so patently stupid as that substance abuse grants "insight" into questions about death. I just point out the probable experiential similarities between different sources of neural malfunction.

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

at the end, you will find yourself in a place similar to where you lived your life but not quite identical, where also the most significant people in your life exist, although you don't know that yet.
    this 'place' is significantly better than your actual life and there should be no reason to move on, but at some point (probably after meeting one of such significant others) you'll realize it's all fake, remember your old sucky life and you will have to move on.
    you'll then go to some bland non-descript place of worship, where all your friends also will be and eventually someone will open the doors.
    As the light floods in, everybody will realize how disappointed they are in this sappy and unsatisfying ending and be pissed off for eternity.

15. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Being dead is probably a lot like it was before you were born.
    I just saw the last episode of "lost" as well. Boo!

16. Crawn2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Best way I've heard it put:

Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way. 
    Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it. 
    Pippin: What? Gandalf?... See what? 
    Gandalf: White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise. 
    Pippin: [smiling] Well, that isn't so bad. 
    Gandalf: [softly] No... No it isn't. 

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I experienced some unknown person's passing some years ago. I was riding my bicycle down the street and this wave passed through me: total peace. I understood that it was over and nothing I had left to do mattered. I really felt like if I died at that moment, it would all be OK. So that is what I expect. You reach a point where you just know you cannot ever get out of this, you resign, and it is over.

I believe what happens after your consciousness expires does not translate into a language we can understand. My personal spiritual belief (which, in order to be valid, must not have a name) suggests that every thing that exists has a property of spirit and when that existence changes (death, destruction, whatever) the spirit property merges with another or others in a sort of endless unifying expansion. Just as nutty, I guess, as burning in hell forever or plucking a lyre on a cloud.

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Everybody goes to heaven (except for the Jews and the gays) and everybody gets an iphone that works on whatever network they want and you don't have to worry about how much storage to get because everybody gets free, unlimited cloud storage.

Just kidding about the gays, of course.:rolleyes:

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh good. I have no desire to any place with the likes of George Bush, Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson. You all have fun with that. :)

20. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Well...from someone who went through it and "knew" I was going to die...

In a brief moment, your life DOES flash before your eyes. Not your whole life of course, but the important moments...like how they show some of those memories in the movies. Then once you have accepted that you are going to die and can't help it anymore, you are at peace...sort of like a tranqility.

This all happens really fast in reality, but in your mind, it's sort of like drags out to a much longer time.

21. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Heaven is for panseys who think it's a place to escape the harsness of real life in the end. To desire to go to heaven means that you are weak and just want to be a lazy pampered brat. I would take my chances in Hell. At least there's more action there. And I would prolly convince the Devil to invade the realm of Heaven. That sounds a lot more fun than playing with iPods.

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

How do you know that they won't be joining you? We know that aren't/weren't Jewish but... ;)

BTW, only the Mormons go to heaven. Everybody else goes to Hell where Friday is Luau night.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

'Sides, rumor is hell is more Ibiza and less Dante's Inferno. :)

24. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

LOL. I don't know if the Jooz would be allowed into Hell either. ;)