What is Joint Venture and this intel talk I see in Apple articles?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by macswitcha2, Apr 11, 2011.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I see joint venture and apple's switch to intel when i skim through articles on line. I know, I know, I should read and not skim, I got you. What is Joint venture and how does that relate to switching to intel?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Joint venture is a support thing for small/medium business.
    Doesn't have anything to do with the switch to intel.

3. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

Apple's switch to Intel is not a joint venture, it's just a supplier switch.

generally speaking, a joint venture is when 2 companies (normally industry related) enter into a partnership because each has a competitive/comparative advantage the other does not. the Thunderbolt port can be considered as a joint venture.

4. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

So a joint venture has NOTHING to do with Apple switching to intel?

So intel just supplies a part of a mac while a joint venture helps in the development of an apple product? I don't get it.

5. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

here's a better example of a JV. in the 1980s, Toyota and GM created a JV named NUMMI for the following reasons:

• GM wanted to learn TPS/Lean manufacturing from Toyota
    • Toyota needed to learn the ins and outs of opening manufacturing plants in the U.S.

to retract what i wrote earlier, Apple and Intel most likely is not considered a JV. the mini display port can be licensed for free so Intel would not have ran into any issues using it. Apple has no desire to learn signal processing from Intel considering their product line.

they probably just partnered up for the time being. Intel needed a vehicle to introduce Thunderbolt and Apple needed some exposure for the display port.

6. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

ahhhh better understood!

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Um... yeah.