What IS legitimate rape?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eawmp1, Aug 19, 2012.

1. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I am glad they don't think before they speak so we can get a clearer idea of what they do think.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/19/missouri-republican-claims-legitimate-rape-rarely-results-in-pregnancy/?hpt=hp_t1

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And these are clowns that run government or wish to run it?

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh dear me. Good grief. Here we go again.......Actually, by definition, there is no such thing as "legitimate" rape. Not ever. Never. For rape is a gross abuse of power and intimacy and is grotesquely coercive by its very nature.

Ah, well. Simple-minded little liberal me, I'm one of those who thinks that the key principle of informed consent is at the core of all sexual (and indeed, political) relationships.

4. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I just want to point out that Representative Todd Akin is on the Committee on Science, Space and Technology. So obviously he's smarter than we are and knows what he's talking about.

I mean that has to be the case. Otherwise, this county would be doomed, right?

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Rape is by definition sexual intercourse/assault without one party's consent.

Technically, pregnancies resulting from rape are rare...but keep in mind many rapes physically cannot result in pregnancy, and many rapist use contraception methods to prevent being caught with DNA evidence. Furthermore, having sex just once often does not result in contraception...some couples try many times over a period of weeks before success. And also, with better rape support networks today than years ago (it still is a far cry from where it should be), access to emergency contraception after rape has increased.

Nonetheless, this dude is a whack-job.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Why the **** do people still support the gop? The sad part is nut case like this guy are more the norm than the exception to the rule.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

Sadly people (at least where I live) are very uneducated and believe everything the GOP says.

My uncle just posted on facebook some comic blaming Obama for the tax cuts to the rich (the Bush era tax cuts) and had a bunch of likes and comments.

People are just stupid.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I hope he meant it as the woman was legitimately raped and not her having, "buyers remorse" and saying what was consensual sex, was the guy raping her.....

9. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

10. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

It is never legitimate. Case Closed.

This man should lose his politician status forever.

11. brentsg macrumors 68030

Unfortunately he's no more of a nut case than McCaskill, so the election comes down to the lesser of 2 evils.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It sounds much worse than that. It would seem he's implying that a child couldn't be a product of a "legitimate rape" because "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Therefore, if a child is a byproduct of intercourse, it must mean the woman wanted it ... or else her body would would have shut that whole thing down.

Super, super, sick man.

13. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Conservatives are backing away slowly and avoiding eye contact...

Credit where credit is due - I'm very glad to see this.

Personally, I would like to hear Romney (and especially Ryan) personally distance themselves from Akin instead of a spokesman.

It will be interesting to see exactly how much pressure is put on Akin to withdraw from the race.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

while they are backing away slowly the sad part is the GOP would still be for out lawing abortions in everything include rape cases.

15. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Reference?

From the article the OP linked to:

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Looking over statistics over the last decade 5% that avgs in around 40k just in the US alone.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This idiot is my congressman. What an embarrassment to my district. Words can't even describe how ridiculous of a comment this is.

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You guys are so quick to simply bash you have no concept of even the level of debate going on.

I am a staunch fiscal conservative and support a woman's right to chose. That means however I will never vote for the fiscally irresponsible Democrats, simply because the party favors abortion. To me the two issues are miles apart in importance for the future of the nation.

Akin is against abortion, and as most who are passionate about a cause, will speak without teleprompters and speech writers on the subject of his passion.

He was stating simply that the case of rape is different than a woman who had consensual sex deciding she did not want the resulting baby.

What is so hard for you to grasp about this discussion?

He was not saying that there is a legitimate rape. That's purely a gaff in his chosen description of a legit reason for abortion in his opinion.

It's a viable topic for debate if you are going to engage in the abortion debate.

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Are you really that obstinate that you would somehow justify this person's statement?

Why make excuses for him? This is someone that is trying to represent us in our government. If he can't do it without speech writers, maybe he doesn't belong in politics. Would you want him speaking for you? This is exactly what is wrong with our government today. You don't care about the message - only about the (D) or (R) after their name.

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Even if he meant saying if the rape was really rape, the rest of that statement is pretty idiotic. The women's body will only abort the pregnancy if something is wrong. Not because it knows it was raped.....

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Todd Akin upon winning the primary, begins
    "First, I want to give thanks to God our Creator who has blessed this campaign, heard your prayers, and answered them with victory. Through the months, we have seen frequent instances of His blessing and are reminded that with Him all things are possible!"

That sounds pretty darn nutty to me. Maybe it plays well across the ShowMe state, but come on ...

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

He has no clue. And neither does anyone else who feels it necessary to try and translate such ridiculousness.

23. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately the answer is because both sides suck. I think most GOP voters fall into two categories: religious nutjobs or moderates. The same applies to democrats: ultra-liberals and moderates. It would seem that in this day and age we have more of the swing elements than the centrist, sadly.

The answer you're really looking for though is priorities -- it's the only reason the GOP gets any votes. I'm of course biased as an averaged moderate but I feel that the democrats do great on the social issues but absolutely horrendous with economics, and without the latter the former will never occur. The economy is the lifeblood of the country; if the economy crashes, the country and everyone inside does poorly. Likewise, if the economy is doing well, more money can be tendered towards social programs (IMO). It's for this very reason that I'm likely going to vote GOP come November, and this is coming from a pro-choice, pro gay marriage, pro-science, anti-religion person. Unfortunately it seems like the Democrats (hell, congress in general) can't get their heads out of their asses and fix the budget and debt, and are instead blasting through half-baked social programs while not fixing or funding the ones already in place.

As per the original topic-- the only way a female could abort like that is if she really was under a lot of mental duress -- we're talking severe depression and/or anxiety, BPD, or schizophrenia. Even then it's going to have to negatively impact the womans physical health first.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Largely in part by the widespread availability of the emergency pill and medical services available to women following sexual assault. Services that are under threat of defunding thanks to nut cases like this.

There is no debate to be had. It was a stupid, inconsiderate, ignorant thing to have said. There are no excuses.

25. leekohler, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OMG- I'm sorry, no matter what you think about economics, the GOP needs to be voted out. This kind of thing is simply not acceptable. The fact that this person felt comfortable even saying this kind of thing is beyond the pale.

So you vote for money over human rights? Move to Russia, please. You'll be quite at home.

BTW- the Dems have a good record on fiscal issues, see Bill Clinton. The GOP is terrible. Cheney even said that deficits don't matter. Ronald Reagan turned us into the hugest debtor nation in the world when we were previously a huge creditor. So why do you vote for them? It makes absolutely no sense to me why in the hell you would vote GOP.

This has gotten to the point of stupidity with you guys. The GOP has been absolutely horrible on fiscal matters since the 80's. And for three decades, you have bought their BS. Now look where we are.