Price Advice What is my old PC's value, and were is best to sell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by James Godfrey, Jan 26, 2012.

1. James Godfrey, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012

James Godfrey macrumors regular

Hi all

Just wondering what you all think my old PC is worth and how and were is best to sell... should I sell it all separately or together and is ebay a good option.

This is the PC:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01479783&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3760530

This is the monitor:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/w1907v-inch-Wide-Panel-Monitor/dp/B000PVCAZC

This is the printer:
    http://www.amazon.com/HP-Deskjet-F4180-Printer-Scanner/dp/B000QY6S74

Also have all booklets, discs etc... any advice would be great.

Thanks

James

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of equivalent models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge.

3. r0k, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Since you are asking the value of an old PC in a Mac forum, you are probably going to get the most pessimistic estimates of its value. Looking at HPs site you linked, it's a core duo 2.0 Ghz that came with Vista. It came with PS/2 mouse and keyboard which are almost all USB on today's machines. The hard drive was 320 GB which is respectable so that boosts the price slightly and so does the DVD writer.

I'm thinking it might fetch about $100 but on a good day you might get $250 (garage sale pricing). And that's where all my old PCs went is garage sales or donations to charity. But that pricing is affected by my opinion of PCs in general and Vista in particular.

GGJstudios hit on the right idea, only he linked the used Apple computer pricing. Take a look on ebay for HP computers and pick "completed listings only". Ignore the ones in red because they didn't sell. The prices in green are representative of what you might be able to sell your rig for. Of course you'll also have to look at the details to make sure they are comparable models to yours. I took my own advice and searched ebay completed listings for "hp slimline" with 250 GB or larger HDD running Vista and found the selling prices (on the US site) ranged from $100 to $200. There were a lot of $300 listings in red because they didn't sell.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would guess the LCD monitor is worth more than the computer.

5. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Well since nobody is giving you a straight answer, I will. I'm a technician so I'm around Windows machines 24/7.

The tower: $150-$180
    Monitor: $50-$60
    Printer: $15-$25

Bundle price: $200-$250.

That's realistic. Of course if I were to sell it at the shop, I could get more since it's in retail. On say a local Craigslist or something, those are the prices I would aim at.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP was given straight answers. No one can pinpoint what price the OP will get. Providing estimates or a way to get estimates IS a straight answer.