What is needed to use iPX on both VZN and ATT?

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
I am currently a Verizon customer but need AT&T during fall football season as the stadium I attend has virtually ZERO Verizon coverage and AT&T has a ring of repeaters around the stadium with stellar coverage. During the game, everyone with AT&T is texting, posting, etc, while my phone is virtually unusable. Those weekends I am on call, I need to be able to receive texts and make calls. What is needed? In the past I have just bought a burner phone but would prefer to use either my current phone (iPhone X coming this friday) or even on of the many older iPhones accumulating in my desk :)

Simple as just buying a AT&T sim and inserting into current phone during the game? If so, what does that do to the phone? Just change the number and all else stays the same?

Thanks so much!

Buddhake

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2016
A Verizon-model phone A1865 - will be unlocked and you can pop the SIM in and out. Be aware that your Verizon phone number will be unregistered from iMessage when you replace it with the AT&T SIM (and vice versa) so if people iMessage to your phone number, it will not be received.

• Model A1865*
  • FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)
  • TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)
  • TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
  • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • Model A1901*
Model A1901 does not support CDMA networks, such as those used by Verizon and Sprint.
  • FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)
  • TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)
  • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I am currently a Verizon customer but need AT&T during fall football season as the stadium I attend has virtually ZERO Verizon coverage and AT&T has a ring of repeaters around the stadium with stellar coverage. During the game, everyone with AT&T is texting, posting, etc, while my phone is virtually unusable. Those weekends I am on call, I need to be able to receive texts and make calls. What is needed? In the past I have just bought a burner phone but would prefer to use either my current phone (iPhone X coming this friday) or even on of the many older iPhones accumulating in my desk :)

Simple as just buying a AT&T sim and inserting into current phone during the game? If so, what does that do to the phone? Just change the number and all else stays the same?

Thanks so much!
Sure you can just swap in an active AT&T nano-SIM into your new iPhone X for your "on call" weekends. No permanent changes to your iPhone X. Just remember that while hosting that foreign AT&T SIM, you can't get Verizon services. Incoming calls, SMS/MMS Txts will not arrive timely(until your put your Verizon nano-SIM back in).

Do you have an Verizon iPhone 5 or newer, maybe an 6S for example? That would be fast enough, work with an AT&T nano-SIM and could be your regular "Game Day" device. Just power on head to the game. Do you have a process to share your AT&T phone number for "on call" since it will not be your regular number?

If you stick with the iPhone family instead of a burner phone, the AT&T nano-SIM will need to be provisioned with a data plan in addition to Voice and SMS Txt plans.

Dave

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Sure you can just swap in an active AT&T nano-SIM into your new iPhone X for your "on call" weekends. No permanent changes to your iPhone X. Just remember that while hosting that foreign AT&T SIM, you can't get Verizon services. Incoming calls, SMS/MMS Txts will not arrive timely(until your put your Verizon nano-SIM back in).

Do you have an Verizon iPhone 5 or newer, maybe an 6S for example? That would be fast enough, work with an AT&T nano-SIM and could be your regular "Game Day" device. Just power on head to the game. Do you have a process to share your AT&T phone number for "on call" since it will not be your regular number?

If you stick with the iPhone family instead of a burner phone, the AT&T nano-SIM will need to be provisioned with a data plan in addition to Voice and SMS Txt plans.

Dave
Dave, thanks for the info. I do have an iP6+ and a couple 5S (I don't recall which network they were from). Sounds like using one of the unused phones would be easiest since it could just be the dedicated on-call phone. The service we use for our on-call after hours emergencies from patients would have that new AT&T number.

Interesting on the data plan requirement though. Almost sounds like the burner is the way to go if it's only going to be used for texts from the on-call service and phone calls back to patients. Wouldn't need it for data plan as I wouldn't be using it for web, Fb, and the like. I'll investigate with AT&T and see what the plan pricing differences are between a cheap burner phone plan and a sim card for a smartphone requiring a data plan.

A Verizon-model phone A1865 - will be unlocked and you can pop the SIM in and out. Be aware that your Verizon phone number will be unregistered from iMessage when you replace it with the AT&T SIM (and vice versa) so if people iMessage to your phone number, it will not be received.
Good to know. Thanks so much.