What is on your to buy list for this holidays?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Christian 5G, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Just wondering what is on your to buy list for yourself this upcoming holiday season discounts "hopefully" that you really considering to purchase?

Just interested, maybe I'm missing something that I need if I see someones post.

Mine,

1. Bose quiet comfort headphones 25. ( Will be very useful in my everyday life).
    2. iPad Air 2 (only if discount drops in 3xx $ range again like it did few weeks ago at staples.)

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Ham, sweet potatoes, Mac and Cheese, stuff for green bean casserole, pineapple, and a bit of wine.

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

For myself? As little as possible. I hate things and want fewer of them.

I will buy binoculars for my mom because she likes bird watching. Probably Vortex Raptors.

5. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Same, but also copious amounts of alcohol to +add+ to the eggnog :D

6. chown33 macrumors 604

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

For myself, nothing. I spend the whole year shopping for myself, this time of year I tend to shop for others.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't buy things because it's a holiday. If I need it or want it, I buy it. I buy gifts for others this time of the year and generally buy myself clothes at deep discounts after Xmas.

9. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Not for the holidays, just the end of the year since I shop year round.
    iPad Pro
    Any Bluetooth headphones (cant decide yet)
    Apple Tv 4

10. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

11. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Nothing now that I replaced my iMac and iPhone with a 27" iMac and iPad Mini 4. I'll be happy to pay a bill for my mom and take her out and help my sisters.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Potential list:

• New car
    • Integrated Amplifier
    • Bookshelf speakers
    • New/updated Sonos Play:5
    I usually don't buy anything during the year, but will sometime splurge for the holidays/year end.

13. wikidallas macrumors newbie

ipad for my niece
    Myself... wondering about Note 7...

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Have you a recipe for that green bean casserole? I'd be glad to come across a good one if you do, as making tasty versions of dishes involving pulses and their kith & kin can present a bot of a challenge in deepest, darkest winter.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

a pair of Sonos Play:1's for my living room.

I'm getting the itch for a Corvette before the self driving revolution, but i'm not sure.

17. Zenithal macrumors 68040

For family? Haven't thought about it yet. For myself? There's a few large hardback books I want to buy and maybe a few old television series and remastered films on BluRay. I suppose a Mac but I may have to wait a further few months until any bugs or issues are worked out. I'll let the impulse buyers be the guinea pigs.

I make ours from scratch. It's a labor of love plus it tastes better than using store bought and processed food. Sourcing very good green beans will be difficult. You want them to have decent snap and not be soft. You want them to be young and not old in the sense they're now stringy and woody, and you want them to have good flavor. I'll ask a floor manager if I can taste them raw and get the nod. I'll take a few, snap them, play with them, smell them and then chew them and spit it out into a paper towel or a bin if it's there. As you know as you enjoy to cook, you should take care to use them as quickly as possible before your refrigerator dries them out.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I usually buy our fruit and veg from a local farmers' market (which has existed in some shape or form since the middle ages) - from the certified organic stalls - so the actual quality of the vegetables I buy tends to be excellent.

How would you actually cook them?

19. Zenithal macrumors 68040

The green beans? I like to cook them until they're half cooked. Drain them and place them in a preheated ceramic container and put a lid on it. It'll keep cooking (much like meat resting) for a little while. The remaining under cooked portion will cook in the oven. The benefit of doing this is that a fully cooked green bean like any other vegetable will get very mushy and won't have a nice mouth-feel as this is a casserole and not a soup or stew. For the "can of mushrroom soup" one can find a good mushroom soup recipe (use whichever mushroom you like, but would advise against the chewy varieties like oyster), and reduce it slowly over a few hours. A dash or two of white wine helps. I personally use crimini mushrooms and portabella. Regardless of the recipe, you'll want to brown them a bit to release their flavor. Prior to chopping and slicing, I give them a good wash under cold water to remove dirt and clean them in general with a stiff mushroom brush. Pat them dry until you can't feel any moisture. Finely chop the stalks, thinly slice the caps. Brown lightly and set aside. Onions wise as the topping, I prefer to make those using sweet white onions. I add a bit of turmeric to the flour coating mixture for some flavor and nice color.

I'd personally make the soup the day before and put it in the refrigerator until the next day for the flavors to develop. To heat it up, put it back in a pot and warm it up slowly, stirring constantly to avoid burning it. You may have to add some water if it seems too thick to you.

20. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Well I hope the store mom works at are making their squash chocolate drizzled pies around Thanksgiving because I am tempted to give her money to ply me in them all month.

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Right now, iPad mini 4. Sam's Club has a decent sale on them at the moment. $475 for a 64GB mini before a $48 instant rebate, dropping it to $428. I have $70 in an annual check from them I've been saving since July which will bring it down to $358; $17 less than a refurb 32GB model directly from Apple.

The rebate expires on 12/7/16 so there is plenty of time.

BL.

23. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

A tweak on pumpkin pie; I forget if they use pumpkin or butternut squash mixed with carrot.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Presents for myself tend to wait - sometimes, until after Christmas, other times, until I need whatever it is that I have in mind to buy.

However, gifts for others are a different matter entirely.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese