What is Retina HD

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple-silicon, Sep 9, 2014.

1. apple-silicon macrumors newbie

I thought retina display was as good as it gets, something like "it's the most the human eye can see"...

2. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I believe its referring to the iPhone 6's resolution which is about 1080P. Unless your a spec snob on small screens I think anything about 300 dots per inch is considered to be retina. I want plenty of movies on my iPhone 5 and its looks HD to my eyes.

3. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

yeah i was curious too :D

I think it's now they can cross the 720p threshold that even retina (on iPhones, at least) had not yet surpassed.

They say 720p like it's revolutionary. They say 1 million pixels and then follow up with 2 million pixels (well, Phil Schiller does rather) without it sounding anywhere near twice as impactful.

25% more CPU and 50% more GPU is meh too. Apple's smokes and mirrors presentations are falling flatter every time.

That said, I am looking forward to owning a 6.

4. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

See how their trickery works. Until now, Apple didn't even have a 1080p screen. As I'm sure you know, 1080p isn't new, hence why all other new devices this year went QHD. Apple has a thing where if they didn't do it first...they wait until....wait for it....the 6s and deliver a QretinaHD. Same old tech with a new Apple twist.

5. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

The iPhone 6 plus has 401 ppi. It's a 1080 screen, as a reference point the G3 has 4 x as big a screen and 541 ppi at the same 5.5 inch size.

6. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Well, Apple finally went HD on their famous Retina display.
    For the 6+ only, of course, but at least they gave some people what they wanted. A big screen that was 1080p.

It's a fancier version of the normal retina display, some technology was tweaked a bit. By doing this, it delivers a better viewing experience.

But it doesn't matter. I was okay with Retina.

:rolleyes:

7. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

The moniker relates to the use of a dual domain pixel display, which only a few other phones (e.g., HTC One and HTC One X) currently offer. The technology improves viewing angles.

Anandtech has a short write-up on the technology:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8509/...main-pixels-in-the-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

9. apple-silicon thread starter macrumors newbie

but they're both bigger phones though so obviously you would've had to double the amount of pixels anyway.

The term retina HD is quite meaningless.

10. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

Retina HD = "Android circa 2012."

I just wish the 4.7 was 1080.

11. Samtb macrumors 65816

Iphone 6 has the same ppi as an iphone 5S so there is no difference in resolution between retina HD on iphone 6 and retina on iphone 5S. It's only HD because it meets the number of rows it needs to be HD but in reality, the 6 screen is no more high resolution than a 5S. The 6 plus screen has a higher PPI and so that does have a higher resolution.

12. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

A marketing term used to differentiate the original iPhone 4 & 5 screen resolutions with that of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. It's basically used to help those who don't know technical details.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Negative.

HTC One, Android, had 1080P on a 4.7inch in 2012.

Matters not to me though, I'd rather have the better battery life of the 326ppi display.

14. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

Thats what I said you silly goose! :p

If Apple put the 1080 screen on the 4.7" iP6, they could call it Eagle Eye Retina HD Maxx for all I care. I just want the PPI goodness.
    iP6+ will have the best battery life of any iPhone. I just wonder if it will have faster processing to chew through the extra pixels.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You said Retina HD = Android 2012..

I was merely pointing out that android was FAR ahead of Retina HD already... in 2012. ;)

But in all honesty, there are more aspects to display quality, than mere pixel density.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Back when the iPhone was 4" do you honestly believe you'd see a difference between 640p and 1080p with the same pixel density?

If you wanna play the resolution game, Apple had above-1080p screens WELL before Android ever did.

17. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

That said, if apple offered to put the HTC One display in the 4.7inch iPhone, you'd bite their arm off.

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Not all screens are equal.

Ah, if only Anand was reviewing this year. Hope Anandtech give it a decent review.

19. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

Its funny you should say that. I do not like the displays of ANY AMOLED screen, I don't like the display on the HTC One either...unfortunately.

AMOLED does not have uniform sub-pixels and the displays always look grainy and I can see it. Oddly enough, I prefer the iP5 display to a Galaxy S5 display. I haven't looked into if they've rectified the AMOLED screen blotch issues, but I won't be revising AMOLED again. (I do like what Moto does with Active Display though).

I can see the digitizer on the HTC One. They appear as faint 45-degree horizontal lines. I can see it with light images and light scenes in video. I can see it any time there is white on the screen.
    Nobody could see the difference in resolution if the PPI remains constant. That's what Apple is banking on with the iP6. I was merely commenting that a PPI spec bump would be welcomed, as content (visible digitaizer aside) does look better on the HTC One.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems simple, Retina (>~320 PPI) on HD (>720p) screen.