What is Rock Solid great external 24" monitor for 2011 MBP 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by propower, Mar 25, 2011.

1. propower macrumors 6502a

OK.....

I have the Apple Cinema Display 24" monitor, love it but....... I have zero confidence in Apple fixing the 1/2 second random blackouts on this (been happening since 2009 for some) so instead of fighting city hall, what alternate 24" LCD's are people using and having success with on the 2011 MBP (especially the 15").......

Thanks in advance.....
    -Lee

2. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Well I dont have a 2011 MBP, but not that it should matter...As long as the 2 connect. Anyways, try some of the ASUS monitors. I have a 22" and it's been amazing. Full HD and so far it's had zero problems.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I've used both Asus and Samsung and both are fine. I'm using a Samsung 24" through a DVI connector and its great. It has worked without issue on both a 2011 13" and 15" and I'm sure you'll have similarly great results.

4. aldejesus macrumors regular

I'm using with my MBP 2011 a samsung SyncMaster P2770H with moshi HDMI adapter. I got it from Costco at $279. I'm works great, it has audio connector on the monitor, HDMI, DVI and VGA ports.

5. DarwinOSX, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Looks like people are recommending cheap TN monitors which are not in the same league as the ACD and look terrible in comparison. HP ZR24w is a very good IPS panel for around $416 at Amazon. A screaming good deal is the NEC EA231WMi-BK. It's a 23 inch but can be had for around $250 or a little more and is an IPS panel like the HP

Also consider a cable from Kanex that eliminates that bulky box on the Apple and other adapters. They make mini-dipslay port to HDMI DVI, VGA, Displayport cables.

http://www.kanexlive.com/products/cables/mdp_adapters.html

6. propower thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes..... I have been reading very positive things about the HP! Sure would a) like to see one first (am checking in my area) and b) love to hear any MBP users who have had good experience with this combo. I do have a little older Samsung 2443BWX..... not ips but pretty good TN(?) with 1920 X 1200... will try it out this weekend......

-Lee

7. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I don't know where you would see one in a store. The general consensus seems to be that the case is a little cheap and plasticky but the picture and inputs are very good. Plus HP backs it up with good service since it is a business model monitor.

These are the best two reviews you will find for it.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1272354232

There is also a long running thread on it at the Hard OCP forum

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1491561

8. M Powered macrumors regular

I use a NEC PA241W for my PC, looks great when hooked up to my MBP too. Highly recommended.

9. Inside_line macrumors regular

NEC LCD2490WUXi2 is really one of the best, if not the best... short of spending a fortune on the Eizo's.

10. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Hello Lee,

That sucks Lee.

11. propower, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

propower thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some solid suggestions here! Very helpful.......

Never paid much attention to the NEC's ..... would love to see them.....

And just to make it more fun, nary a blackout on the ACD all evening...... what fun....... :) --- spoke too soon...... now the Wife understands too!!

-Lee

12. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

13. M Powered macrumors regular

Just keep in mind the PA241W is Wide Gamut. The colors will appear super rich, especially the reds. It will make your MBP display colors appear washed in comparison. :)

14. propower, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

propower thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just an update --- while my ACD goes through some unknown repair process......

I picked up an ASUS ML249H (24" MVA LED panel -- the 23" in the same series (like the LG IPS236V) is LED IPS) for $249 at a local store to tide me over....... Earlier that day I plugged in a samsung 2443BWX that I have had for years but thought the clarity and color (after looking at the ACD for a year) was just awful.... blurry text etc....

I compared the ASUS to some others in the store and it really looked good..... since I could return it in 7 days I said what the heck......

Only been a couple of hours but from the moment I hooked it up at home I had that "Ahhh that's better feeling!". The ACD is 1920X1200 and this is 1920X1080 but I tell ya..... it looks near as nice as the ACD to me. Not quite as RAZOR sharp but let's say 85% of the way there. And the no gloss/glass on the screen aint bad either......

For the price ........ pretty darned nice screen.

I am not a color guru so can't speak to that, and I miss the extra USB ports and charger..... but...... the ACD problem may never be fixed with these MBP.......

-Lee

15. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

was going to suggest the: Eizo ColorEdge CG241W 24.1" TFT Color LCD Monitor but $250 for an Asus or Samsung is a better deal.

16. cruzngsocal macrumors newbie

I researched this for a week and decided on the dell UltraSharp U2311H 23".

Got it for $199 at my university bookstore ($217 with tax).

Seems like you have made a decision, but thought I would share this killer deal nonetheless, and the monitor is excellent:

http://www-bookstore.ucsd.edu/computers/hardware/monitors.htm

17. propower thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep that is a nice one too!

Well after using the 24 ACD for a year the ASUS really is decent but really not as pleasing..... add to that...... now after 3 separate (long) Apple care discussions and then taking my monitor into the store I get the phone call tonight that....... they say there is nothing wrong and that it is a software problem with the 24 ACD and the 2011 15" MBP........ why couldn't the first guy tell me that??????

Regardless...... I think I will live with the blackouts for a month or two before pulling the next trigger...... MAybe find one of those HP ZR24ws to look at......

Who knows..... maybe Apple will fix this?? That would work :D

18. Msls macrumors newbie

Question.

Yeah I was looking at a new monitor too for my old Macbook Pro so I can shut the lid and use it like a tower. I had a question though, :confused: I have a 15 inch mbp, if I got a 23'' Monitor is there anyway (there has to be) so i can set the resolution/dimensions so the text/windows/dock are the "same pixel" size as they were on my mbp, so essentially I could have two windows open next to each other on my 23'' screen with the text/windows the same size (just have more screen realestate) if that makes any sense. haha So in point, not have it blow everything up to the same ratio as when the windows and text were on my mbp, keeping everything the same size so I can fit more on one screen. :)

19. axu539 macrumors 6502a

That actually depends on the pixel density and resolution of your 23" monitor. Basically, to have your pixels the same size, well, the physical pixels on the MBP and the monitor have to be the same size.

20. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

21. legreve macrumors regular

legreve