Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lordillingworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Hello, this is a really quick question and I will point out now that I am a complete novice when it comes to anything more technical than wordpress (which is why my website is all done in iWeb! see sig!) so this is probably a really simple question, I did a forum search and found nothing.

So what is safari 0.0? I use a hit counter from gostats to view my viewing figures and it shows views using safari 0.0 as a browser, I don't understand why it would have that number, does it not know what version it was or is it the iphone etc?

Thanks in advance, dan

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
Could it mean it's a unknown version?

I have a safari with no version number showing in mine (awstats)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
It could be a web spider using a fake user-agent. It could be the stats software has a bug for certain Safari versions that result in the version number zeroing out. User-agents are very easy to adjust so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
user-agent strings ultimately have no meaning. There is no way to verify what browser the user is really using. It's just an arbitrary string sent by the browser. There are numerous extensions for Firefox, for example, that allow a user to plug-in any user-agent string they'd like. As well, as pointed-out above, there are many oddball browsers, crawlers, etc. that fake-up a user-agent to try to force web sites to render in a specific way. Usually they will add some extra stuff to the end of the string to distinguish themselves from "the real thing" but sometimes not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.