What is Safari 0.0? It shows up in my website viewing stats

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Lordillingworth, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Lordillingworth macrumors regular

Hello, this is a really quick question and I will point out now that I am a complete novice when it comes to anything more technical than wordpress (which is why my website is all done in iWeb! see sig!) so this is probably a really simple question, I did a forum search and found nothing.

So what is safari 0.0? I use a hit counter from gostats to view my viewing figures and it shows views using safari 0.0 as a browser, I don't understand why it would have that number, does it not know what version it was or is it the iphone etc?

Thanks in advance, dan

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Could it mean it's a unknown version?

I have a safari with no version number showing in mine (awstats)

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It could be a web spider using a fake user-agent. It could be the stats software has a bug for certain Safari versions that result in the version number zeroing out. User-agents are very easy to adjust so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

4. jtara macrumors 65816

user-agent strings ultimately have no meaning. There is no way to verify what browser the user is really using. It's just an arbitrary string sent by the browser. There are numerous extensions for Firefox, for example, that allow a user to plug-in any user-agent string they'd like. As well, as pointed-out above, there are many oddball browsers, crawlers, etc. that fake-up a user-agent to try to force web sites to render in a specific way. Usually they will add some extra stuff to the end of the string to distinguish themselves from "the real thing" but sometimes not.

5. Lordillingworth thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much, I didn't have a clue that there were such things as these!

Thanks for the answers.

dan