What is "scuff gate"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevinbomb123, Sep 25, 2012.

1. kevinbomb123 macrumors member

I keep seeing it mentioned but have no clue as to what it is.

2. lawlbringer macrumors regular

Bunch of iPhone 5's are coming "new in box" with scuffs/dings/chips as if they were used by a klutz for a year. That's pretty much it.

3. VivaLaFisica macrumors regular

What is the "gate" for?

4. Peligroso macrumors member

Peligroso

Basically it just refers to a scandal or issue of some sort. The gate comes from the famous Watergate scandal in the 70's.

5. bbydon macrumors 6502a

The "gate" part is odd, since the scandal is named after the Watergate hotel.

6. VivaLaFisica macrumors regular

Rofl... That's absurd. Thanks for the info. I can now laugh at people just adding the word 'gate' to any issue they have about their device.

7. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Scuffgate. LOL :D That's the funniest thing I've seen on here today.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I was going to create a thread to see if someone was experiencing HULLABALOO-GATE. Every time I turn on my 4S, before it searches for signal, I hear this "Boiiiiing" sound. It doesn't happen every time, but does happen frequently.

9. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

"insert mundane 1st world problem here"+gate = instant scandal. :rolleyes:

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

That's your Mac, not your 4S. I know it can be hard to tell the difference after a long bender, but ya gotta try, man. You gotta try.

And lay off the Everclear, that stuff ain't right for anyone. ;)

11. zhandri macrumors 6502

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

From everybody's favorite Wikipedia

The suffix -gate derives from the Watergate scandal of the United States in the early 1970s, which resulted in the resignation of U.S. President Richard Nixon. The scandal was named after the Watergate complex in Washington, D.C.; the complex itself was named after the "Water Gate" area where symphony orchestra concerts were staged on the Potomac River between 1935 and 1965.
    The suffix is used to embellish a noun or name to suggest the existence of a far-reaching scandal, particularly in politics and government. As a CBC News Online column noted in 2001, the term may "suggest unethical behaviour and a cover-up".The same usage has spread into languages other than English; examples of -gate being used to refer to local political scandals have been reported from Argentina, Germany, Hungary, Greece and the former Yugoslavia.Such usages have been criticised by commentators as clichéd and misleading;James Stanyer comments that "revelations are given the 'gate' suffix to add a thin veil of credibility, following 'Watergate', but most bear no resemblance to the painstaking investigation of that particular piece of presidential corruption."Stanyer links the widespread use of -gate to what the sociologist John Thompson calls "scandal syndrome":
    [A] self-reproducing and self-reinforcing process, driven on by competitive and combative struggles in the media and political fields and giving rise to more and more scandals which increasingly become the focus of mediated forms of public debate, marginalizing or displacing other issues and producing on occasion a climate of political crisis which can debilitate or even paralyse a government.
    The adoption of -gate to suggest the existence of a scandal was promoted by William Safire, the conservative New York Times columnist and former Nixon administration speechwriter. As early as September 1974 he wrote of "Vietgate", a proposed pardon of the Watergate criminals and Vietnam War draft dodgers.Subsequently he coined numerous -gate terms, including Billygate, Briefingate, Contragate, Deavergate, Debategate, Doublebillingsgate (of which he later said "My best [-gate coinage] was the encapsulation of a minor ... scandal as doublebillingsgate"), Frankiegate, Franklingate, Genschergate, Housegate, Iraqgate, Koreagate, Lancegate, Maggiegate, Nannygate, Raidergate, Scalpgate, Travelgate, Troopergate and Whitewatergate. The New York magazine suggested that his aim in doing so was "rehabilitating Nixon by relentlessly tarring his successors with the same rhetorical brush – diminished guilt by association." Safire himself later admitted to author Eric Alterman that, as Alterman puts it, "psychologically, he may have been seeking to minimize the relative importance of the crimes committed by his former boss with this silliness."

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It is my 4S. I have a MBA, but I don't bring my MBA with me everywhere. But as soon as I turn on the 4S and tap on an app, it does make that "boing" sound. The only thing I can get from it, is that the 4S is still searching for signal.

14. RocketMan76 macrumors member

A manufactured whinefest created by nerds with nothing better to do than complain about their $1000 smartphones.