What is status of Starbucks/iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jun 12, 2008.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Starbucks was supposed to be unrolling some sort of free wi-fi to iPhone users. I never heard anything after about one month ago. Is this kaput?
    If iPhone 3G is almost as good as wifi, why would someone with an iPhone need wifi in starbucks?

2. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I don't know either. Didn't it start a few days after Steve announced it in Sept or 07?

I had my iPhone then, and I didn't bother to check. Honestly, I hate being a douche and hanging out there anyway, so it wouldn't have been any use to me anyway. :)

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

AT&T got in a tiff with T-Mobile because T-Mobile is the official wifi provider of Starbucks and I don't know the other details or what has come of that.

Uh, there are many people who have a 1st generation iPhone and aren't planning on upgrading.

4. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I get free wifi all the time on my iPhone - I just do it thru the Starbucks Rewards using my Starbucks card to buy my coffee. Works great, other than I have to re-enter my login and password every visit.

Also, don't you just love it the way us iPhone 1 users seem to already be seen as second class citizens. Sheesh, not everyone is going to go out and buy one of the new iPhones.

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    plus what about the 75% of the US that doesn't have 3g?

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Though that is a good question, we don't know what is the difference between regular WiFi and 3G because we haven't got the 3G iPhone yet! I'm constantly hitting the new AT&T Hotspots and T-Mobile WiFi and just logging-in on my sbcglobal.net email account and "poof" I'm in. When 3G shows-up, who knows what's in store for the 3G iPhone? :eek:

7. Surely Guest

Surely

We're not second class citizens- we're pioneers and explorers. Like Magellan. :cool:

Good find, but what is the resolution? The article doesn't mention if T-Mobile will continue to provide wifi, or if AT&T will begin to at some point in the future.

8. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

9. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

I was just going to post that not looking good for anything 'free' at starbucks... just $4 drinks and hard to order size... :) Dunkin anyone?

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not quite. T-Mobile was the official wi-fi provider in Starbucks. Starbucks "fired" T-Mobile months ago chose ATT. There were rumors that ATT was going to allow free Wi-Fi for iPhone users but nothing as been announced.

11. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Maybe we will hear something after the 3G goes on sale?