Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Starbucks was supposed to be unrolling some sort of free wi-fi to iPhone users. I never heard anything after about one month ago. Is this kaput?
If iPhone 3G is almost as good as wifi, why would someone with an iPhone need wifi in starbucks?

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
I don't know either. Didn't it start a few days after Steve announced it in Sept or 07?

I had my iPhone then, and I didn't bother to check. Honestly, I hate being a douche and hanging out there anyway, so it wouldn't have been any use to me anyway. :)

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Starbucks was supposed to be unrolling some sort of free wi-fi to iPhone users. I never heard anything after about one month ago. Is this kaput?
If iPhone 3G is almost as good as wifi, why would someone with an iPhone need wifi in starbucks?

AT&T got in a tiff with T-Mobile because T-Mobile is the official wifi provider of Starbucks and I don't know the other details or what has come of that.

Uh, there are many people who have a 1st generation iPhone and aren't planning on upgrading.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I get free wifi all the time on my iPhone - I just do it thru the Starbucks Rewards using my Starbucks card to buy my coffee. Works great, other than I have to re-enter my login and password every visit.

Also, don't you just love it the way us iPhone 1 users seem to already be seen as second class citizens. Sheesh, not everyone is going to go out and buy one of the new iPhones.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Though that is a good question, we don't know what is the difference between regular WiFi and 3G because we haven't got the 3G iPhone yet! I'm constantly hitting the new AT&T Hotspots and T-Mobile WiFi and just logging-in on my sbcglobal.net email account and "poof" I'm in. When 3G shows-up, who knows what's in store for the 3G iPhone? :eek:

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Also, don't you just love it the way us iPhone 1 users seem to already be seen as second class citizens. Sheesh, not everyone is going to go out and buy one of the new iPhones.

We're not second class citizens- we're pioneers and explorers. Like Magellan. :cool:

Good find, but what is the resolution? The article doesn't mention if T-Mobile will continue to provide wifi, or if AT&T will begin to at some point in the future.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
AT&T got in a tiff with T-Mobile because T-Mobile is the official wifi provider of Starbucks and I don't know the other details or what has come of that.

Uh, there are many people who have a 1st generation iPhone and aren't planning on upgrading.

Not quite. T-Mobile was the official wi-fi provider in Starbucks. Starbucks "fired" T-Mobile months ago chose ATT. There were rumors that ATT was going to allow free Wi-Fi for iPhone users but nothing as been announced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.