What is tether data!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adcx64, Sep 21, 2012.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

My new iPhone 5 is doing something odd. Any cell network data is shown in the "usage" tab as "Tether Data". What does this mean? Also, my city Marlton NJ is covered by LTE, yet my iPhone wont connect to it. It still shows 3G!

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

3. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

You didn't understand him, I don't believe.

All of OP's data is being counted under tethered data rather than cell data.

4. sharp65 macrumors 6502

do you have verizon? I had the exact same problem, it wouldn't connect to LTE and all data used was showing up as tether usage. I restarted my phone and it fixed it. It immediately connected to LTE and the tether section disappeared.

5. BuckDot macrumors member

It's when you wirelessly connect another device to your phone so you can google what tethering is.

6. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Did you even read the OP? He understands what tether data is, his regular data usage is being tallied under tether data so he's having issues.

7. BuckDot macrumors member

No I honestly did not, however since the topic is "What is tether data?" I made the generally fair assumption that this was what the thread was actually about.

8. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Thanks so much! The restart fixed it and I have LTE!!!

9. sharp65 macrumors 6502

Awesome, glad that fixed it.

10. black743 macrumors 6502

I have my LTE turned off and the tethered usage keeps popping up. Verizon is showing nothing on their end, so it makes me think it's a bug in iOS6.

Thoughts? I don't have a hotspot even activated.

11. black743 macrumors 6502

I'm reporting this bug to Apple. Anyone else experiencing it?

12. youslippin macrumors member

Well my iPhone 5 shows 8tb tethered... Strait out the box.

Attached Files:

13. black743 macrumors 6502

Please call Apple and report this, they said my call was the first they had heard. Make a reference to your issue and that none of us are tethering. Their usage counters are hosed in iOS6 it appears.

14. black743 macrumors 6502

I called Apple and was showing a couple hundred kb in tethering data usage. After the call it had reset to zero, and now it's gone altogether.

Crazy...bugs...everyone report to Apple, that's how they know to look into these things.

15. black743 macrumors 6502

Anyone else call Apple to let them know of this issue?

16. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I sent a report, hopefully this gets fixed. I had tether data come up again, and it chewed through 350MB of data :(

17. black743 macrumors 6502

Mine has appeared again too. It's just showing all the data instead of "cellular data", which sits at zero (did a reset to check). I don't think you're burning any data you aren't using, and its likely that your carrier will show less than the 350mb your counter says.

Usually a restart will make it go away; however, now it seems to come right back...not sure what causes it to trigger.

Hope they fix it, more of a nuisance than anything, but would still like to get the usage counter working. The carrier doesn't use that, they track it on their end.

18. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I've been noticing that a lot of issues that people have been experiencing get fixed with a reboot.

Reminds me of another product that would have weird issues which then needed rebooting. :p

19. jbeezz macrumors newbie

The thread is WHAT IS TETHERING? Comprende?

I totally agree BuckDot. It's ridiculous that when you are looking for the definition of something that all of these so called experts assume that you should already know what the definition is. Then they give smart alec remarks instead of just giving you the frekkin definition.

This thread is totally useless because anyone who already knows what tethering is and wants to know how to do it WILL NOT LOOK FOR IT HERE.

Thanks for nothing "experts"

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's for letting us know a year later, and in such a calm fashion!!! Hope you feel better about the whole thing.