What is the 3GS like on 5.0+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pyromaniaque, Aug 11, 2012.

1. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

My mum will be giving me her 3gs and she doesn't have iOs 5.

I know the 3gs is a pretty quick and snappy phone in its original OS version, BUT on the latest OS, does it still run smoothly?

2. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I have my iPhone 3GS on the latest firmware iOS 5.1.1, & I can safely tell u that the performance is very good. Notifications works very well, seldom lack in the interface & safari loads very quickly. Overall, the experience is a very decent one. However, I've heard some 3GS owners complaining about everything being very leggy & such.

From my point of view, I strongly encourage u to update to iOS 5. Many new features that enhances the user experience!

3. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

The iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.x is similar in performance to the iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.3.x.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

When I had my 3GS, it was running 5.1.1 and I found it to run rather well. No major issues on my end. I think you should be fine upgrading. The notification centre alone makes it worth it.

5. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Coming from a 3GS, it can be slow at times but overall it's not that bad. Performance in iOS 6 is a bit slower but still usable.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

General feelings are to set it up as a new phone to allow a clean install.

7. riveting macrumors 6502

it should be fine, mine works fine at 5.0, i expect 6.0 would be similar, too bad the phone still sells for $375 unlocked from Apple, more expensive than Galaxy Nexus :mad: And used once can easily have all kinds of cracking problem and battery problem consider how old it is.

8. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

My first 3GS that I got a few months after launch was updated to every OS up to 5. It was very sluggish and I wanted to do a clean instal but never got around to it. Well, I broke my phone by dropping it and borrowed an 8Gig 3GS from a buddy who wasn't using his so I did a clean restore/instal on his. Marked improvement was noticed, still had some slow downs but not as often as I did before.