What is the advantage of doing a clean install of Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bluearrow, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bluearrow macrumors newbie

I have os x 10.6.8 and plan on just downloading and installing Lion form the Mac App Store and not doing a clean install from a cd or usb with Lion on it. I don't have multiple Macs but is there an advantage, software and compatibility wise, to doing a clean install?

2. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

3. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

I always tend to do a clean install, just because I find that performance is much snappier than if it was an upgrade. Just use TM and Migration Assistant to restore all your files on your clean install of Lion

4. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

The only thing I can find is a disadvantage. I downloaded the Lion GM from http://developer.apple.com, then went to find out how to make a bootable DVD of Lion. I found a nice little article and within 30 mins I had my Lion install DVD burned. I then went about backing up everything on my MBP manually (I didn't want to restore with Time Machine, I wanted a nice fresh install).

I booted from the Lion installer DVD and went through wiping my hdd and installing Lion a fresh.

Now the thing I've found is doing it this way does NOT create the 10GB recovery partition on your machine. Therefore if my machine dies, I'll have to find the DVD/memory stick out if I encounter problems.

Note: The DVD boots into recovery mode, from there you can connect to the internet with Safari and WiFi/Ethernet, run Disk Utility and then 'reinstalling' Lion.

pac