What is the "Alt-Right"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bent christian, Sep 25, 2016.

1. bent christian, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Made up term with no historical merit or context. Leftist Orwellian wordplay to conflate conservatism with some segment of fascism and white nationalism to alienate voting blocks.

The neocons tried this same tactic when Obama was first elected. You might remember it as Black liberation theology.

3. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

Nope. This is a thing they call themselves.

You must not have watched he video.

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 3.02.25 PM.png
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    Also a real thing and nothing wrong with it.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Basic higher education in the area of politics should empower someone to discern between an organization and political philosophies sharing a name.

BLM Movement ≠ BLM Organization as an example.

Furthermore:

"The alt-right has no official ideology, with the Associated Press stating that there is "no one way to define its ideology."

The term "Alternative Right" is also is properly attributed to Paul Gottfried back in 2008 and has ZERO to do with white nationalist.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Like "New Democrat" or "Neo-Liberals" or "Neo-Conservatives" or "Pop Tarts" or something?

6. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

Paleoconservatism has everything to do with White nationalism. Are you familiar with the name Pat Buchanan?

[​IMG]

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Oh so now we are talking about "paleo-conservativism" which Is not the so-called alt-right.

Conflating because misinformed or trying to move goal posts? It's fail either way so take your pick.

9. A.Goldberg, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Sounds to me like a way to associate the word "right" as in right winged politics with White Supremecy/KKK/neo-nazism.

I know plenty of right winged people who do not believe in open door immigration, don't want to promote enetitlement programs. It doesn't mean they're racist white supremecists.

I do like stupidity of the "white nationalists" (who I imagine share theory with some of our resident "race realists") where they proclaim they are not "racist", they just don't want the influence of foreigners.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Is this the same Pat Buchanan who appeared on PBS every Sunday morning for over 30 years? I never suspected that PBS was part of a white supremacist conspiracy. But now that I think of it, PBS programs do lean heavy on the Caucasian side. Why isn't Miss Marple a wise Latina? I'm triggered.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Yep. And I am willing to bet the term falls off the face of the earth after the election is over.

Nutty Liberals would say the two notions are inseparable but I agree with you.

White nationalism is very much a niche philosophy that is reprehensible to the overwhelmingly majority of people. Very few people will own it, but as you say, they will dance around the issue with dog whistles and "race realism", which is just a way to call blacks and Hispanics savages backed by high level statistics.

12. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I will not vote for Pat Buchana, in 2016.

Thank you, bent christian. Thank you for posting.

13. cfedu, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

It's probably a response to the SJW-type idiots, but I always assumed the "Alt-Right" was just conservatives without the religion who are cool about gay people and other individualist platforms.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

What is SJW?

16. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Look at the first video two posts up

17. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Alt-right is just the inverse of SJW. If we can have the latter label, the former can exist too. Although to be honest, sometimes I feel both groups exist more on the internet in exaggerated forms. SJW being crazed Tumblr fanatics who think everything is "problematic" and alt-right being Milo Yiannopoulos-worshiping trolls who think Trump is Jesus.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I did watch it. I still didn't see what SJW was.

19. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

have you heard of the website www.google.com? i hear it can answer questions for you. i'm not sure, however.

20. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

SJW stands for "social justice warrior" and refers to left-wing, often college-age types who consider themselves "activists" and get "outraged" and offended over everything they perceive as racist, sexist, ableist, or whatever it happens to be.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Thanks.

22. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

to be fair, when I use to see PRSI being used in this forum, I google it so many times. I could never figure out why people were talking about
    Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI)?

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Its another label for people we don't like . I do think though there aren't enough combinations of letters and punctuation to label all the people I don't like

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its the far right trying to claim a respectable name..... Trumps KKK supporters etc.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You never actually listened to Buchanan other than him being on those Sunday shows then did you?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...ust-crazy-quotes-from-pat-buchanan-s-new-book
    http://mediamatters.org/research/2011/07/29/the-bigotry-of-pat-buchanan/186810