What is the appeal of social networking sites for the audience?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by mogzieee, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Hey Guys,

I have to write an essay for my Media Studies class next week regarding social networking sites (eg. Facebook, MySpace, Bebo, YouTube, etc.) with the question:

"What is the appeal of social networking sites for the audience?"

I think it's a pretty interesting question, and before I get started on writing I'd like to know if you guys have any views on the topic....

Thanks for any ideas in advance!

Mogzieee

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I imagine the answers are as varied as the users, but for me, it's a way to keep in regular contact with people with whom I'm not particularly close, but still are more than acquaintences. If I'm close with a person, Facebook is a complement to our already full relationship, but for those I may speak to a few times a year (or only see at a reunion) without Facebook, it helps keep us all up on each others' lives on a more regular basis.

I also use it to share information, news stories, and anything else that people who know me may be interested in. I don't use it to meet people, just to communicate with the people I already know.

I hate MySpace with a passion, so I'm only talking about Facebook here. I guess YouTube is a social networking site, but I don't use it as such. And I don't use Bebo or any others.

I'm in my thirties, too, so I'm sure that makes a difference in my outlook and use.

3. redmeister macrumors 6502

4. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

From more of a professional perspective, I'd have to say networking. Anyone I've ever interviewed and anyone whom I've ever interviewed with is on my contact list.

Also, coworkers. It's a great way to keep up with their lives since we don't always have opportunities to personally interact.

We're actually encouraged to use facebook throughout the day. Of course, I do work at a software company.

5. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much, some awesome ideas. I think there is definitely also an element of having your own 'space' and 'profile' online in a different sort of world.