What is the appeal of the Verizon iPhone being unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Oct 16, 2012.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

you are pretty much forced into a contract anyway, or am I wrong?

2. darster Suspended

If you travel to Europe, you can use it just about anywhere unlocked. Just pop in a different sim. You can also use it on other 3G GSM networks in the US.

3. vipJj123 macrumors member

It is not a lifetime contract. Going overseas. Can also help resell value. I'd rather be able to keep my options open.

4. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

yeah but then that defeats the main selling point of the iPhone 5... LTE. I might as well just return it and buy the AT&T or Sprint one if I'm just gonna use it on their carrier.

5. vipJj123 macrumors member

Lte may not be the main selling point to everyone.

6. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

after that it's just a supercharged iPhone 4.

7. vipJj123 macrumors member

I still would use/buy it without lte. Better upgrade than going from 4 to 4s.

8. darster Suspended

Exactly how does that defeat the main selling point? Some people actually travel outside the US. You can take your phone ANYWHERE. You have a phone in the US and use LTE. You go overseas, you just pop in a different sim and voila, your phone works there. You continue to get your email, you can make phone calls and even text all without leaving your phone behind and without having to buy another phone just to use overseas. And since the verizon has several LTE bands, eventually some of those bands will be used in other countries.

9. Ran7 macrumors regular

No it is a major selling point. Expecialy compared to say sprint or VZ galaxy 3 which cant be.
    LTE bands on the Sprint and Verizon iP5 models are the same as on the European models.
    The verizon phone is, right out of the box, EXACTLY what will be sold in the EU as unlocked iphone 5.

Morover if you travel, and don't use your phone on company funds, being able to stick a in a prepaid from your destination country, usually saves you tons of money.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The Verizon iPhone 5 (as well as Sprint I suppose) supports international LTE bands, so it's actually more desirable than the AT&T version for international use and retail purposes. + Verizon has a better LTE rollout anyway, so there's just more reason to buy that one even without them all being unlocked.

11. stonyboys macrumors 6502

Is this a serious thread? Are we really debating why we would want a factory unlocked phone as opposed to locked?

12. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Stuffing that much misinformation into two short sentences is quite impressive.